MoD & MoD Deluxe Gamemat Pricing

By mcadam316, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game

Am I the only person that thinks it's crazy that Fantasy Flight is charging the same price for the MoD deluxe game mat as they are the MoD expansion?

As far as I've heard, the Deluxe Game-mat is the only thing that is included, and it doesn't include any of the house cards or tokens that comes with the regular Mother of Dragons expansion, correct? First off, consider the fact that the second edition comes with the traditional 6 houses, 6 sets of house cards, 6 sets of house tokens, 6 sets of plastic combat pieces, the tides of war deck, the 3 Westeros Decks, the Wildlings deck, the 3 influence track tokens, and the game board for $60. Charging $40 for just a large board and nothing else feels unreasonable. Does that large cardboard game mat really cost anywhere close to $40 to make? I understand Fantasy Flight is a business that needs to make money, but $40?? How can Fantasy Flight truly say that the $40 for the "Deluxe" cardboard Game-mat is fairly priced???

If my friends and I wanted to play MoD with the Deluxe map it would cost us $80 ($40 for the Mod expansion and $40 for the Deluxe game mat). That's $20 more than the base game! I don't think this is a fair price. Obviously I can play the MoD expansion without the Delux game map, (which I have, tons of fun, actually just won last night with house Targaryen), but we play enough that upgrading to the deluxe board would be worth it, just probably not at the price of $40 because my friend has already spent $40. I completely understand that no one is forcing us to buy it , but come on, $40 for just a board, and the only way to use that board is if you've already spent another $40? Again, how can Fantasy Flight truly say that the $40 for the "Deluxe" cardboard Game-mat is fairly priced???

I hope that Fantasy Flight plans on implementing a discount for people who have already bought the MoD expansion, or a pre-order discount.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Am I just an old man yelling at the clouds?

old.jpg

-M

Edited by mcadam316
17 hours ago, mcadam316 said:

Am I just an old man yelling at the clouds?

Pretty much.

People asked FFG "pretty please" to release the mat to the public, when they wasn't planning on it.

As for the mat itself.. It is HUGE (90x90 cm). Compare it to other premium gamemats (which mostly are much smaller) and it isn't that bad. I have a colt express gamemat (that is barely a 1/3 of the size), and it cost me about 20 bucks.

Also, you say "cardboard game mat". You do realize it is a neoprene anti-slip mat? It isn't cardboard..

Edited by Frode789

Oh my, neoprene anti -slip? How blessed we must be to have such a rare and illustrious material given to us by fantasy flight. They must have scoured the earth in search of this precious commodity. 🤣

I know the deluxe game mat is going to be big, but the the original game mat is 84 x 56. So they're increasing the width of the board by 40% and adding 6cm of length... for $40? Again, I don't think it's worth $40, especially after already paying $40 for the MoD expansion. I feel like $30 is a little more reasonable. If they were to sell a deluxe MoD set that comes with everything in the original MoD expansion along, and the Deluxe Map, now that would be awesome.

-M

Like I said, the price is comparable to other gamemats.. What is hard to understand about that?

Scythe: (not FFG)

https://www.chaoscards.co.uk/accessories-c1/playmats-c8/stonemaier-games-scythe-neoprene-playmat-p168190/s169500

90x70 cm. RRP 35 GBP. (the mat is on SALE now, but the RRP is 35 ).

GoT: (FFG)

https://www.chaoscards.co.uk/accessories-c1/playmats-c8/fantasy-flight-games-a-game-of-thrones-the-board-game-second-edition-mother-of-dragons-deluxe-playmat-p168641

91x91 cm. RRP 39 GBP .

TLDR : Stop complaining. Price is within the market-price for gamemats. The mat is also completely optional.

Edited by Frode789

I don't mean to come off as if I'm complaining. I think that the price is too high and I wanted to know if anyone else thought the same thing. Clearly you disagree with me.

You say it isnt overpriced, I say it is.. What is hard to understand about that? Lets just agree to disagree.

☮✌ 🏼

-M

Edited by mcadam316

I only say : shut up and take my money!

I paid 40$ and 40$ more in shipping costs to my country, only for the deluxe map .

what worries me is that we do not know yet when it will go on sale

Edited by bandobras

Hahahahahahaha

Okay so maybe I am just being stingy.

If I'm being honest I'm probably going to buy it anyway. It looks amazing, and even though I'm still not a fan of the price, I'd prefer to play on a complete board and not have to fidget with overlays and what not.

Side note. While we were playing someone mentioned that it's easy to forget about how close the Targaryens are. They seem further because they're separated by the victory track, the supply track, etc. The red lines that divide the seas look much clearer on the deluxe board.

-M

3d32367da33f80b8c8bd881f878d205170025920

It's not the price that bothers me so much as the fact that it's taking at least 4 months longer than promised to release and FFG doesn't seem to know what's going on.

Edited by Soochsooch
grammar

As Soochsooch was saying, when will the Playmat be released?? It's going on for 3-4 months already, and nobody, within FGG or Asmodee, seems to know a date or what is happening. Come on FGG, give us an update!!!

Hi, actually have the same question as my previous poster.
Did FFG actually ever release any information on when this thing will be available.

Back to topic: I think the price is reasonable, especially for the size and if the quality is close to what I know from other playmats of this kind.

On 3/4/2019 at 11:04 AM, mcadam316 said:

how can Fantasy Flight truly say that the $40  for the "Deluxe" cardboard Game-mat is fairly priced???

Because people will buy it. Products are only priced on what the market will bear. After analysis they determined that this is the price the market will bear, and it's worth them selling it profit wise. That is the only justification they need.