Explorator and his MIUs

By MuffinMan17, in Rogue Trader House Rules

Hey guys,

So one of my players is playing as a Explorator and is wanting to do something different.. after some discussion on why he can't use his Servo-Skulls to pilot a fighter alone he wanted to know if he was to "Modify" a small spacecraft to have an MIU onboard with his Mind Impulse Unit (MIU) along with a Logis Implant could he use the pilot skill under the INT characteristic. His explanation is he is directly connected to his ship and with his combination of implants should be able to pilot the craft as if it was a part of him along with weapon prediction to dodge incoming rounds...

My concern is that we have a Void Master PC and if the Explorator just needs to lvl up in INT Characteristic to use vehicles that could effect the balance and purpose the Void Master does within the party.

I wasn't going with it but had some fight back on this subject so here I am.

So my questions are:

1. Can he use these implants as he intends?

2. Are MIUs common enough that he could "modify" a vehicle to have this connection with it.

3. Would this effect our party's Void Master PC and what he does in the party?

He believes the MIU is pointless if he can't use it for this function. Could I hear from you guys on what purposes the MIU has within Rogue Trader.

Thanks

Hi @MuffinMan17 ,

Just my couple cents:

On 3/1/2019 at 5:55 PM, MuffinMan17 said:

could effect the balance and purpose the Void Master 

As I see it, Void Master can pilot much more vehicles (surface, flyers and spaceships) than Explorator could be. I don't know why Explorator needs in your party but there are things Explortor won't pilot with MIU: Spacehsips as case. And even to threaten the balance Explorator would need to customize each vehicle (which can be a long time) for that purpose, learn a lot of piloting skills (probably he dosen't know what he wants for now as Explorator, exp is precious thing) and the bigger the vehicle the more augmentation you need and bigger WP to hanle it's machine spirit.

Can he use these implants as he intends?

Sorry, I might answered already, but yes) It even mentioned that Princeps of Collegia Titanica uses MIU to control Titan parts ( as well as they should be very experinced, have many other implants and have big willpower )

2. Are MIUs common enough that he could "modify" a vehicle to have this connection with it  . 

MIUs are just Rare's and in Mechanicus circles I would say must have. On other hands devices and vehicles you can connect with MIU are rare - customized or special mechanicus.

3. Would this effect our party's Void Master PC and what he does in the party?

I don't think I'm experienced enough here to give an answer, but from my point of view I think members of party doesn't know what they want from their characters and it would be best to discuss with them how they see main functions of their characters in 3-6 levels from now to understand would they balance/disbalance each other.

IMHO: The party can do anything they want if it is in the system and logic while everyone have fun and you can control it with modifiers, complications and character possible advancements depending on their actions and skills.