I'm disappointed with the wiki

By 987654321, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

The old lore wiki is a very detailed and insightful place full of information.

The rebooted lore wiki , on the other hand...is lacking.

Severely lacking.

As in, most characters only have a sentence or two of description and that's it. Even if they actuallly have more than that, it's just a few paragraphs with their backstory.

Another important point is that I rarely see descriptions of events from after the storyline started, which kinda defeats the purpose of a wiki.

So, after posting my frustrations with the wiki, I would be thankful if I saw some more activity towards greater elaboration on its contents.

Yours truly,

The fandom.com wiki covers new content, but I'm bothered that it uses the TCG tag instead of LCG.

I was actually an active member in a fandom wiki years ago that was really well organized, so much so that I hold most wikis I frequent to those standards.

I think it's because the new one follow the new timeline... and for now we have less elements for a wiki like the one before

Not go be that guy, but you could help as well by contributing, editing and adding pages.

Now that I finally have a copy of Emerald Empire I should do so myself.

New lore is being added to the fandom Wiki, being me the main and mostly only contributor. I am also an administrator, after former one passed me the badge.

Sorry for those who disliked TCG tag as it has been used, but at that time was the way I did, and there is nearly impossible for me to remake all the work done. We have to live with my decission, even if it is odd for many.

Regarding people who blame wiki as not updated, it isn't. I am currently on page 51 of "Emerald Empire: The Essential Guide to Rokugan", and I have also included all the LCG cards and flavor for already released sets. They just don't know how to reach new lore, what is totally understandable. Many people cannot navigate throught the relevant pages of new lore in the wiki because main page is sticked on old lore, so they have to make searches in order to get your desired lore. I will not change the main page myself, as it is not my first priority.

Anyhow a wiki that have old and new lore at the same time is very difficult to manage properly, so I cannot share the point of some people claiming other wiki "well organized" if these wiki haven't this issue. Try to do it better, anyone is welcomed.

I am open to hear other people opinion, and to see if some of them may fit fandom L5R wiki.

Note: Gamepedia Wiki is mostly for LCG content, so you will lack lore there. For your perusal I am also contributor and administrator there, as well as in Kazenoshiro, the web repository of L5R lore.

Edited by Oni no Pikachu
3 hours ago, Oni no Pikachu said:

New lore is being added to the fandom Wiki, being me the main and mostly only contributor. I am also an administrator, after former one passed me the badge.

Thank you for your hard work! I haven't contributed in a long time, but I still get the emails each time a few pages are updated. I keep going and looking at it thinking, "oh, I should add that." And I just... don't.

Sorry to have left all that on your shoulders. I'll try to help with the load.

edit:

On 3/1/2019 at 2:22 AM, MirumotoOrashu said:

Not go be that guy, but you could help as well by contributing, editing and adding pages.

QFT

Edited by Hida Jitenno

I'd like to add my profuse thanks to those of you who put the time and effort into this. It's a pure labor of love, so ANYONE who can help these good folks out would be doing the community a tremendous service. I'll see if I can add to it from time to time myself.

4 hours ago, DGLaderoute said:

I'd like to add my profuse thanks to those of you who put the time and effort into this. It's a pure labor of love, so ANYONE who can help these good folks out would be doing the community a tremendous service. I'll see if I can add to it from time to time myself.

I have time to do the work until now, but I shall change my job for a new one (in a different city and far from my family), so and I am sure I will lack the lot of time I am spending currently on L5R Wiki. Anyhow I love to do it, and I am stubborn guy, so I shall try to keep the pace, removing time from other hobbies. I guess you have other role on our community of much more worth than editing wiki, so keep your effort on spreading the L5R atmosphere to everyone that loves Rokugan.

Edited by Oni no Pikachu

Regarding the TCG tag, what should it be changed to if somebody would do it? Methinks "Fantasy Flight Games" or "FFG" would be more appropriate, because the lore has expanded outside of the card game by now.

3 minutes ago, Swordbreaker said:

Regarding the TCG tag, what should it be changed to if somebody would do it? Methinks "Fantasy Flight Games" or "FFG" would be more appropriate, because the lore has expanded outside of the card game by now.

Sorry, but you do not know the amount of pages and categories which are already "contaminated" with my "wrong" decission. I am deeply sorry with such decission, after I realize the community reaction, but it is already carved in stone. It will take nearly a month full time of changes with the sure appearance of not working links and mistakes in the new lore pages. I am not able to assume the workload of such a change.

30 minutes ago, Oni no Pikachu said:

Sorry, but you do not know the amount of pages and categories which are already "contaminated" with my "wrong" decission. I am deeply sorry with such decission, after I realize the community reaction, but it is already carved in stone. It will take nearly a month full time of changes with the sure appearance of not working links and mistakes in the new lore pages. I am not able to assume the workload of such a change.

37 minutes ago, Swordbreaker said:

Regarding the TCG tag, what should it be changed to if somebody would do it?

What it would need be changed:

* Every page with TCG tag.

* Every page which was has a link to a page with a TCG tag. Not easy to see, you need to check in every page created for new lore.

* Every category created for the new lore. All of them have the TCG tag.

* Every template with the TCG tag.

* Every picture/file with the TCG tag.

* Check every page created for new lore to find the broken links, mistakes, or problems which would arise when a mistake is made in those previous steps. When these changes are still not completed, many pages will be seen with broken links, or disparate appearance for reasons not easy to chase for new contributors of L5R wiki.

It is not impossible, but it would not be my horse. Too many things can be wronged, and it will take many time that I prefer to spend on new contributions. On the other hand, later this matter is taken, more and more difficult it will be.

Echoing Dave, I will say that a well-made wiki is a godsend for the writers. We're constantly having to check previously-established details, and having a resource that tracks such things for us makes our jobs so much easier. So my heartfelt thanks to everyone who contributes to such things.

On 3/2/2019 at 9:54 PM, Oni no Pikachu said:

Sorry for those who disliked TCG tag as it has been used, but at that time was the way I did, and there is nearly impossible for me to remake all the work done. We have to live with my decission, even if it is odd for many.

Regarding people who blame wiki as not updated, it isn't. I am currently on page 51 of "Emerald Empire: The Essential Guide to Rokugan", and I have also included all the LCG cards and flavor for already released sets. They just don't know how to reach new lore, what is totally understandable. Many people cannot navigate throught the relevant pages of new lore in the wiki because main page is sticked on old lore, so they have to make searches in order to get your desired lore. I will not change the main page myself, as it is not my first priority.

Anyhow a wiki that have old and new lore at the same time is very difficult to manage properly, so I cannot share the point of some people claiming other wiki "well organized" if these wiki haven't this issue. Try to do it better, anyone is welcomed.

I am open to hear other people opinion, and to see if some of them may fit fandom L5R wiki.

Note: Gamepedia Wiki is mostly for LCG content, so you will lack lore there. For your perusal I am also contributor and administrator there, as well as in Kazenoshiro, the web repository of L5R lore.

Thank you very much for your work.

I appreciate very much. And take all the time you need for write it.