Now that you've played both games

By Cejel, in Heroes of Terrinoth

This posting is for those of you that have played a fair amount of both WarhammerQuest:ACG and Heroes of Terrinoth.

I have played WQ:ACG. I like it. I have not purchased or played HoT yet, but I did pore over the rules.

Granted, both games are very similar. But not exactly. There are some minor differences.

Do those differences make one game more favorable than the other?

Or are they both basically the same game?

If you have played both games, which one do you like better? And why?

I think HoT is the better game, but it's close, and each game has something the other is missing.

Rest actions can be exhausted in HoT, but not in WQACG. I like that you can exhaust all your actions. It's less gimmicky than in WQACG when you have to exhaust an action but the only ready action is your inexhaustible refresh one, so you take no penalty.

I also like that Rest actions are the refresh action for all archetypes.

If I remember correctly, WQACG does not allow you to switch the party leader unless the party leader dies. In HoT, you can pass the torch after travelling to a new location. I like the strategy and extra options this rule adds.

I hardly got to upgrade my actions in WQACG because campaigns are a bother for me. I am a big fan of upgrading actions mid-quest.

On the flip side, if you love quests, you'll miss that aspect when playing HoT. You might also miss the gear deck.

I think HoT is a better game all-in-all, but how do you feel about the removal of the gear deck?

Edited by Shirys
On 3/6/2019 at 9:15 AM, Shirys said:

I think HoT is a better game all-in-all, but how do you feel about the removal of the gear deck?

I don't miss the gear deck much at all. The items we get in the exploration deck are good enough for me. In my opinion, the thing that makes the gear shine is the fact that you can take it with you throughout the campaign. Without a campaign, the gear doesn't seem so special. Also, as someone on BGG pointed out, the abilities of the legendary gear are basically included as the individual heroic abilities.

If a campaign expansion is released, I would like to see gear reimplemented there.

14 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

Also, as someone on BGG pointed out, the abilities of the legendary gear are basically included as the individual heroic abilities. 

I never thought about that.

14 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

If a campaign expansion is released, I would like to see gear reimplemented there.

I would like it too. I'd be fine with items that gets reshuffled in the deck once the scenario is over.