Custom Battlefront II characters (yes, I have Shriv)

By GuillotineTE, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

I found IA-Designer a couple days ago and since then I haven’t been able to stop making deployment cards. I started by making Nien Nunb and an augmented turret companion. (I might showcase those two later.) I ended up with a whole suite of Battlefront II characters that I think are well-balanced and also thematically perfect:

Iden Version , Shriv Suurgav , Del Meeko , ID10 (Dio) , and Gideon Hask .

All except Shriv are Empire affiliated. Shriv is Rebel. All are Spies.

I thought about making Dio a companion to Iden, but Iden has so much on her card already and Dio is an actual character so I thought he deserves to have his own deployment.

The abilities are heavily inspired by Battlefront II’s first campaign. For instance, Iden has an ability called Focused Arsenal to mimic her skill in BFII with every blaster and her ability to constantly change them out. I wanted her to be a 3 die attacker, but epic Arsenal plus a focus is a little too much for a 10 cost figure. So she becomes focused before every attack meaning she can’t easily roll 4 dice.

Iden, Del, and Gideon are all a part of Inferno Squad in the game. As a tribute to the classic line from the trailer, these three have the ability Special Forces, which hides them at the start of each round (making them unexpected 😉 ) and allows them to reroll 1 die per attack. They are also all Cross-Trained, meaning they can choose which defensive die to use.

one of my favorite abilities would have to be Shriv’s Last Words, another testament to BFII, this time to the scene where Shriv and Lando almost die and Shriv says that even though he’s about to die, he’s glad Lando is dying too. The ability allows a friendly figure to take damage to keep Shriv from being defeated.

Other than the figure deployments, I have two cards with a similar feel to Spectre cell and an upgrade for Iden’s droid:

Inferno Squad , Danger Squadron , and Droid Shield .

Inferno Squad is most similar to the meta-destroying super card. It costs 2 points and due to the fact that there are only 4 IS members instead of more, the card can be exhausted to ready one card, basically granting 5 activations total. Readying a card with Inferno Squad recovers 2 damage. It also gives an extra surge and block to each figure.

Danger Squadron is an attachment for Shriv. Because in the game we see Iden and Del on both sides of the war, attaching this 1 point upgrade allows Iden, Del and Dio to join the Rebels. After deployment all four get 3 movement points. This is not an exclusive card; other rebels can be added unlike Spectre Cell.

Droid Shield is a 2 point attachment for Dio only and mimics one of the droid’s most iconic abilities in BFII: the personal shield around Iden. Exhausting this card basically makes Dio untouchable from 2 or more spaces away by giving him a dodge. If he’s adjacent to Iden while she is being attacked, he can have the attack target him instead, similar to the Bodyguard command card.

I still need to play test all these, but I’d love to hear feedback and if you want, feel free to try them out yourself. Maybe use a Reb Sab for Shriv’s mini and agent Blaise for Gideon and a probe droid for Dio. Jyn’s figure could be Iden and Fenn could be Del’s substitute.

”We weren’t expecting special forces.” “That’s the point, Sergeant.”