A joy to bring to the table

By Ram, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

So based fully on this thread, I brought Dengar to casual play a week or two back. With focus from Jabba and 2 blocks from extra armour, he was super fun to play. Since he can pile on the hunter cards, he can do a lot of damage and stun a big figure (or also tack on bleed and/or weaken). I gave him good cover and my opponent did not pay him much attention. But with focus and a hand of hunter cards, he's not someone you want lying around.

Edited by NeverBetTheFett

I think in terms of fun, you can't miss with a Rancor in Skirmish. Just make sure you bring your Weiss token to use in place of the model for half the game when nothing fits on the board.

As @NeverBetTheFett once roasted me for on a Regionals stream, it's the only way you'll ever see Weiss at an event.

4 hours ago, cleardave said:

I think in terms of fun, you can't miss with a Rancor in Skirmish. Just make sure you bring your Weiss token to use in place of the model for half the game when nothing fits on the board.

As @NeverBetTheFett once roasted me for on a Regionals stream, it's the only way you'll ever see Weiss at an event.

Never let your opponent body-shame your rancor.

HK

Son of Skywalker with Pummel :) endless attacks

I experimented with a Parting Blow Bossk helped by Shyla pushing figures around. You keep the 2 close each other and when Shyla whips the opponent figure it gets one attack from Bossk and then the one from Shyla. It's a bit annoying that you need to set this up only after Bossk has been already activated, but he loses harmful conditions for free. Also Shyla can attack with one action and use the whip with the other action. She won't be able to perform a second attack, but at least you can push figures on the map and letting them exit a space adjacent to Bossk or maybe to Shyla itself as she can also use parting blow if you really need that one attack.

Edited by Trevize84
1 hour ago, Trevize84 said:

I experimented with a Parting Blow Bossk helped by Shyla pushing figures around. You keep the 2 close each other and when Shyla whips the opponent figure it gets one attack from Bossk and then the one from Shyla. It's a bit annoying that you need to set this up only after Bossk has been already activated, but he loses harmful conditions for free. Also Shyla can attack with one action and use the whip with the other action. She won't be able to perform a second attack, but at least you can push figures on the map and letting them exit a space adjacent to Bossk or maybe to Shyla itself as she can also use parting blow if you really need that one attack.

I don’t think you can technically do this “attack then whip” combo. Because the whip is an action that has you attack, and since you can’t attack again, you can’t do the entire action.

Yes, Mandalorian Whip is an action containing an attack with even the leniest possible interpretation (it's mandatory if possible, not optional, and it's only skipped if mission rules intervene and relocate the target). So, if you already performed any action containing attack during this activation, cannot use it.

Edited by a1bert
1 hour ago, a1bert said:

Yes, Mandalorian Whip is an action containing an attack with even the leniest possible interpretation (it's mandatory if possible, not optional, and it's only skipped if mission rules intervene and relocate the target). So, if you already performed any action containing attack during this activation, cannot use it.

That's a very bad news :( But why does it work like that? I mean the ability says something like "choose a figure - full stop- push 3 spaces - full stop - Then attack", I expected 1st and 2nd part to be independent from 3rd part of the ability.

Edited by Trevize84
18 minutes ago, Trevize84 said:

That's a very bad news :( But why does it work like that? I mean the ability says something like "choose a figure - full stop- push 3 spaces - full stop - Then attack", I expected 1st and 2nd part to be independent from 3rd part of the ability.

1. Being able to push the chosen figure to an adjacent space is a requirement to be able to perform Mandalorian Whip. You must perform each part of an ability - you can't willy-nilly decide to skip parts unless the ability itself allows choice by "may" or having a cost, or it is not possible to perform a part of it. So, if you can perform the attack, you must perform the attack. The first parts guarantee that (unless mission rules "trapdoor" the figure) the attack will be valid.

2. Unrelated to 1. if an action contains an attack, it falls under the attack action during activation limit. Mandalorian Whip contains the activating figure performing an attack, so it is an action containing an attack, falling under the attack action limit. Note that it is not limiting the attacks, it's limiting the actions, so you can't perform the action containing attacks.

Edited by a1bert
4 minutes ago, a1bert said:

1. Being able to push the chosen figure to an adjacent space is a requirement to be able to perform Mandalorian Whip. You must perform each part of an ability - you can't willy-nilly decide to skip parts unless the ability itself allows choice by "may" or having a cost, or it is not possible to perform a part of it. So, if you can perform the attack, you must perform the attack. The first parts guarantee that (unless mission rules "trapdoor" the figure) the attack will be valid.

2. Unrelated to 1. if an action contains an attack, it falls under the attack action during activation limit. Mandalorian Whip contains the activating figure performing an attack, so it is an action containing an attack, falling under the attack action limit. Note that it is not limiting the attacks, it's limiting the actions, so you can't perform the action containing attacks.

I see, thanks for clarifying