A joy to bring to the table

By Ram, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

What deployments or perhaps command cards brings that extra joy to bring to the table for you? That thing that feels just right, feels a bit more you or something like that? It doesnt have to be the best card, its even better if it isnt.

For me, one such card is Lando. He really doesnt look like much, but he feels thematically perfect and whenever I play him he really exceeds expectations. Nasty surges, loads more survivability then hos low hitpoints suggests and nifty tricks. Always a blast.

Whats yours and why?

Edited by Ram

I don't know why but Hit and Run is a card I really like, because it's just right. You get out from the cover, mess things up and then go back to cover. It's exactly how it should work. I wish it could still find a spot in my lists nowadays.

Edited by Trevize84

Deploymentwise, it’s probably good ol’ Chewbacca. So cool.

Command card... could be Strength in Numbers. Love the surprise element in that card.

I get a little rush of dopamine everytime I active a group of focused rangers.

Regarding command cards it's either Heart of Freedom or Shoot the Messenger. There's something uniquely satisfying about killing a figure and then milling 3 command cards.

Brings out my Jabba laugh everytime

Edited by Jaric256

My favorite list consists of Han, Chewie and Lando. That beautifully thematic combo of deployments just puts a smile on my face. Definitely helps that I always seem to have a fun, competitive game with them too!

For my command card, my mind cackles with glee when I have a focused Chewie with Tools for the Job and a free Slam waiting to bring even the strongest deployments to their knees.

8 minutes ago, The Archangel said:

My favorite list consists of Han, Chewie and Lando. That beautifully thematic combo of deployments just puts a smile on my face. Definitely helps that I always seem to have a fun, competitive game with them too!

For my command card, my mind cackles with glee when I have a focused Chewie with Tools for the Job and a free Slam waiting to bring even the strongest deployments to their knees.

Talking about Chewie, it took me quite a bit to figure out this combo (text inside [] is optional): Activation: [Focused] Attack, Wild Fury, Focused Attack, Slam, [Self-Defense,] To the Limit, Attack. End of activation: Stunned & Bleeding => Opponent: "He's stunned and bleeding, let me kill one of his ready activations. What can possibly go wrong?" => Debts Repaid => Activation: Rally, Attack, Slam, Run away. I managed to put this in place only once, but when it tears down Vader it feels good...

Edited by Trevize84
12 minutes ago, Trevize84 said:

Talking about Chewie, it took me quite a bit to figure out this combo (text inside [] is optional): Activation: [Focused] Attack, Wild Fury, Focused Attack, Slam, [Self-Defense,] To the Limit, Attack. End of activation: Stunned & Bleeding => Opponent: "He's stunned and bleeding, let me kill one of his ready activations. What can possibly go wrong?" => Debts Repaid => Activation: Rally, Attack, Slam, Run away. I managed to put this in place only once, but when it tears down Vader it feels good...

No, you see, you've made a mistake, that's not possible, because...

<checks cards>

Uh...

<checks cards again>

...oh. 😳 My goodness.

I've always really enjoyed playing creatures, especially Nexu's. Unfortunately, creatures have never really been at the forefront of skirmish outside of Bantha lists during swarm days.

I was hoping Lothal Cats would revive the lists but haven't seen it yet. I still want to try some sort of LIA Wampa + Rancor/Bantha list with a swarm of Lothal Cats bounding after them.

The Royal Guard Champion always gives me a bit of a high! Is he going to highroll his attack roll? is he going to bottom out? will he die in 2 shots or 10??? Such a rediculously fast and fun character. The best is when you use >urgency>to the limit>flurry of blades.

2 hours ago, MadFuhrer said:

The Royal Guard Champion always gives me a bit of a high! Is he going to highroll his attack roll? is he going to bottom out? will he die in 2 shots or 10??? Such a rediculously fast and fun character. The best is when you use >urgency>to the limit>flurry of blades.

That one definitely doesn't work. The additional action granted by To the Limit doesn't mean "you can perform three actions this turn". It lets you perform 1 action then you are Stunned, whereas Flurry of Blades is 2 special actions taken together.

20 minutes ago, Bitterman said:

That one definitely doesn't work. The additional action granted by To the Limit doesn't mean "you can perform three actions this turn". It lets you perform 1 action then you are Stunned, whereas Flurry of Blades is 2 special actions taken together.

It does though. The double arrow is a little wonky. It is one action (since you can't use multiple actions to attack) that takes 2 of your "action points".

General Weiss is definitely one of my favorites to play. Granted, he is difficult to fit into lists, but when he does, it’s magic. He’s so thematically... correct. When I play him I feel like the tyrannical overlord he’s supposed to be in the campaign. The fact that he can roll any 3 dice he wants and can order moves from two figures anywhere on the map is just so right. I really wish he’d get a buff like Vader.

Greedo by far. He’s so annoying and super cheap. Also Chewbacca. He’s so versatile. For command cards, I’m a big brawler fan, so I love face to face command card.

9 hours ago, MadFuhrer said:

It does though. The double arrow is a little wonky. It is one action (since you can't use multiple actions to attack) that takes 2 of your "action points".

That's not what the RRG says:

If an ability has two => icons, it costs the figure two of its actions to resolve this ability.

It doesn't say it is one action that costs two action points. There's no such thing as an action point. It says, it costs two actions. To the Limit says you perform one action then you are Stunned, not that you perform one ability costing any number of "action points", whatever they are, then you are Stunned.

23 minutes ago, Bitterman said:

It doesn't say it is one action that costs two action points. There's no such thing as an action point.

There is both actions and action(points), unfortunately they don't have different terms in the rules.

(I think there was a ruling about To The Limit and Order Hit which shows that, didn't see anything appropriate in the FAQ. However, we know "double-special actions" are single actions, because bleeding triggers only once. It also confirms there is in fact actions and action(point)s even when the rules do not directly define action(point)s.)

Melee Deployments - they are harder to play than ranged attackers and make every game much more dynamic.

18 hours ago, MadFuhrer said:

I will absolutley second this. I have actually beaten spectre cell with him twice. Sometimes he just wont die, especially with some defence boosting command cards. Really cool piece.

I will also add Bossk. He was my first ”power card” when I just started playing. He is actually pretty awfull when I play him, but still a joy to iield.

I love Bossk too. Also, eGammorreans is super fun and with Extra Armor, really good. Greedo is a must, but he's also up on the power curve, so I don't consider him in that group. While not truely a figure, Salacious Crumb is also hilarious to bring along :)

i have a crush on Dengar and he gets really strong in an imperial list, with all those eOfficers to grant free movement and Thrawn (or Clawdite) providing him a wealth of Surges and Evade tokens....

the other day i would finish solo singlehandedly if only i had included Brace Yourself in my list..... (i would retaliate with payback and assasinate) but he killed me first...

11 hours ago, topacesteve said:

i have a crush on Dengar and he gets really strong in an imperial list, with all those eOfficers to grant free movement and Thrawn (or Clawdite) providing him a wealth of Surges and Evade tokens....

the other day i would finish solo singlehandedly if only i had included Brace Yourself in my list..... (i would retaliate with payback and assasinate) but he killed me first...

WOW!!!! Good on ya! My buddy always tries to make Dengar work into lists in our community. I've used him a few times, and he's done well for me. People have an issue with his points cost. I have an issue with him needing a little bit more accuracy, and possibly some damage. I feel like giving him an extra blue dice would make him a lot more playable overall. But that's awesome that you use him!

44 minutes ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

WOW!!!! Good on ya! My buddy always tries to make Dengar work into lists in our community. I've used him a few times, and he's done well for me. People have an issue with his points cost. I have an issue with him needing a little bit more accuracy, and possibly some damage. I feel like giving him an extra blue dice would make him a lot more playable overall. But that's awesome that you use him!

One option is focus Dengar from Jabba, or Primary Target, the 1st step with Solo is to remove him the Focus at the end of the round with doubt and have Dengar set up for an attack before

Gideon or 3p0 gives him the focus... (even with the focus you can Tough luck him), also keep an OUT OF TIME ready when attacking him Round 2 or 3 and why not a Toxic Dart.. I also like to prepare Solo and Gideon with 1-2 hits from Corrupting Force...

On 2/22/2019 at 4:36 PM, The Archangel said:

Nowadays , Zeb is the new Chewie....the only figure i didnt manage to bring down with Zeb is (Brace for Impact) Vader....

15 hours ago, topacesteve said:

Nowadays , Zeb is the new Chewie....the only figure i didnt manage to bring down with Zeb is (Brace for Impact) Vader....

I don't fully agree. Ideally yes he looks like what Chewie could have been, but in practice Zeb doesn't stun, doesn't push, doesn't have smuggler trait and access to some of the most powerful damage boosters. Also he doesn't threat the opponent t with Debts Repaid. His card has some threatening effect but it's very limited and more importantly it's not revealed. Power of Debts Repaid is the fact the opponent knows you have it.

13 hours ago, Trevize84 said:

I don't fully agree. Ideally yes he looks like what Chewie could have been, but in practice Zeb doesn't stun, doesn't push, doesn't have smuggler trait and access to some of the most powerful damage boosters. Also he doesn't threat the opponent t with Debts Repaid. His card has some threatening effect but it's very limited and more importantly it's not revealed. Power of Debts Repaid is the fact the opponent knows you have it.

What he said.

Davith is always a lot of fun to play.