Reform and its weakness

By Skaflok, in Runewars Rules Questions

We have a situation where 3*2 were flanked by some monster predator - say aliana or vorunthul. Let's assume this attack was made against flank of second row.

So we have it

AAA

AAAB

Top of A is facing. Reading rules literally said unit can reform only around the center of 6th A. Turning its back against attacker. Apart of some obvious implications (vampire killing all crossbowmen having two or three turns without proper retaliatation) this should not happen as is in rules. Reform is already "wasting" activation, so I guess it should be able to help unit to improve its position, to make it possible to achieve

B

AAA

AAA

rather than

AAA

AAA

B

What do you think? Do I interpret rules correctly?

I want to start this topic because it is frustrating for many players that I met that reform on certain occasions is totally useless. Just as it is in exemple described earlier with flanker taking one back tray. One cannot reform this 3*2 just because it would have to touch attacker then and it must not. Also reform is impossible when attacker closed in inside of 3*2rectangle.

Maybe I understand rules incorrectly. But if I am right, what would solution be to keep game flow feel ok?

Check section 68.2 of the RRG. If you are engaged, you can reform about ANY of your trays such that you contact the enemy unit along its same edge.

That would allow you to face your unit at the enemy...

Per the rules:

Start:

AAA

AAAB

can be reformed to:

AA

AAB

AA

by pivoting around the bottom center “A” in the start.

hey. Thank you for clarification. Now I can see where I made mistake in interpretation: I assumed that it was around one of trays that is touching enemy or around center point of unit. Thank You again.

Church, thank you again. Your clarification helped me to understand it better.

AAA

AB

Is it possible to turn it to

B

AAA

A

Problem with those reforms is that if it happens close to terrain or other units, if those only legal moves are impossible because of other obstacles, such unit will have to die because it cannnot fight efficiently and attacker with one additional dice has great advantage.

Anyway, with this knowledge, crossbowzachstar has even more sense. Especially backed up by 2 golems and 2 4 tray cavalry units. I just disbanded my idea to use wizard as he is too fragile and too weak compared to Malcorne.

On 2/19/2019 at 2:56 AM, Skaflok said:

Church, thank you again. Your clarification helped me to understand it better.

AAA

AB

Is it possible to turn it to

B

AAA

A

Problem with those reforms is that if it happens close to terrain or other units, if those only legal moves are impossible because of other obstacles, such unit will have to die because it cannnot fight efficiently and attacker with one additional dice has great advantage.

Anyway, with this knowledge, crossbowzachstar has even more sense. Especially backed up by 2 golems and 2 4 tray cavalry units. I just disbanded my idea to use wizard as he is too fragile and too weak compared to Malcorne.

I don't think that is a legal reform because you had 2 edges in contact with the enemy before the reform, but are in contact with only one of the enemy's edges after the reform. You must be in contact with the same edge(s) of the enemy unit after the reform as you were before the reform.