Neutral Sphere (Core set) - Player Card Review series

By Silblade, in Strategy and deck-building

The Player Card Review of the Core set is ended by Neutral sphere, which consists of a single card - Gandalf . At this moment, the reviews of all cards from the Core set is completed, and I hope that you have enjoyed every reviewed sphere.

Link: https://visionofthepalantir.com/2019/02/16/neutral-core-set/

I just remind you, what's all about (skip it, if you have already read the article from Leadership sphere):
I made a deep analysis of each player card, mention the positives and negatives of each card, possible combos and synergies and overall conclusion from my point of view. I set the goal of describing each card in at least 450 words , in 500 words at the best. It's written in " progression mode ", and it's because of 1) new players, who wanna to start this game from Core set in progression style, 2) the progression mode seems to me more challenging than "normal style" with accessible all cards from all expansions and adventure packs. I wanted to create such complex and detailed reviews because I think it's rare material in LOTR LCG community. And I think that each card, no matter how strong or weak, deserves own attention, not only that cards we usually use in decks.

Now you could ask, what comes next? Core set is done... but the Core set is just beginning of this amazing card game. Hunt for Gollum follows... but it won't be immediately. Please, be patient for the new article about Hunt for Gollum. But don't worry - I'm still writing.;)

Thank you for your support, responses and comments. I really appreciate it.:)

Silblade

I'm glad you're talking about writing an article for Hunt for Gollum , since I've been playing that scenario lately. I had some comments on it, but I guess I will wait until your article to make them. When you say "be patient", I'm wondering if you've been able to find that adventure pack to buy? Obviously if you don't have it yet, that would delay an article on it.

As for Gandalf, yeah he can be a life saver, but is also kind of expensive if you don't have Sneak Attack. Obviously if you have some Steward of Gondor cards, that will help pay for him. So yeah, good but expensive, considering he doesn't hang around.

Don't worry Vince79, I have Hunt for Gollum already bought (whole Shadows of Mirkwood, Dwarrowdelf , until the Heirs of NĂºmenor ). So I meant "be patient" for writing the article because it takes up some time.;) Meanwhile I try to play in the progression style and test the cards, which I don't use very often. But I can write the article without the testing, which is quite time-consuming.

3 hours ago, Silblade said:

Meanwhile I try to play in the progression style and test the cards, which I don't use very often. But I can write the article without the testing, which is quite time-consuming.

I hear you there. I'm also trying to progress through the game in order, sounds like I'm at about the same place you are. I'm at a very early stage in the game, but it's already getting to be a little overwhelming with all the choices. I can't imagine how it's going to be later. I'm hoping that the extra choices will give us more thematic decks and the like, rather than "stats creep".

Do you plan to get into the Sagas at all? I only recently was able to get all the boxes, so there's nothing holding me back there.

I'm sorry for not response for few days, was a quite busy.:-\

Well, the complete Shadows of Mirkwood cycle give us a couple of choices, even that trait-based (Rohan, Eagles). Besides, it depends on your own ideas and creativity, and you can make an interesting and original decks.

Alas, Saga box are not translated and published in my country (Czech), so I haven't any experiences or knowledge about cards from Saga boxes.:-(

On 2/23/2019 at 3:02 AM, Silblade said:

Alas, Saga box are not translated and published in my country (Czech), so I haven't any experiences or knowledge about cards from Saga boxes.:-(

Oh no, man that sucks. I'm a huge fan of Tolkien, and of the Lord of the Rings, so I can't wait to get into those Saga expansions. I don't know exactly when that will be though. I'm still considering myself to be at a learning the game stage.

So far, my approach to deck building has been this:

I will pick out the heroes I want to use. I will discard the events and attachments that don't look useful to me (either because their effect doesn't impress me, or the cost looks too high). Then as I play games, I will weed out the other cards that I notice that I'm not using. That way the cards I do use should come up more often. So far I've kept all the allies.

As card choice increases though, I'm not sure that method is going to be practical (remember I'm still at Hunt for Gollum).

Keeping all the allies will certainly not be sustainable further on.