First mission of Embers of Dread

By delffi, in Road to Legend

Hi there,

We just started to play Descent 2 Road to Legend the new Embers of Dread campaign (Hard) with Android tablet. Here are few points, bugs and questions:

1. Bug in starting gold and XP.

We started with 4 heroes. After losing the first mission we noticed that every hero had 3XP (+1 from after the mission and +2 from bug!) as well as about 300 gold (about 120 from mission and about 200 from a bug!)
This is annoying, now we have to start from the beginning. I tried to replicate this bug few times but could not.

2. The Relic 'The Shield of the Dark God' found in the first mission is not visible in the inventory or in the shops later on.

3. During the last phase of the first mission, does it require an action to "Cast Ward"? I guess not since it does not state 'use action to cast ward'.

4. It is pretty difficult mission but very fun to play! :D

Edited by delffi
40 minutes ago, delffi said:

1. Bug in starting gold and XP.

We started with 4 heroes. After losing the first mission we noticed that every hero had 3XP (+1 from after the mission and +2 from bug!) as well as about 300 gold (about 120 from mission and about 200 from a bug!)
This is annoying, now we have to start from the beginning. I tried to replicate this bug few times but could not.

Ah, I figured this out. This is a bug and technically we did nothing wrong. This is what happened.
After defeating Ettin's and checking the Obelisk, we left the cave ("If all heroes are within 4 spaces of this objective token...")
At this point we were very wounded and our morale was "skull", so next death = losing the quest.

Before the last "phase" of the quest the App is dark and give you a kind of a travel event: "Test awareness. Did more pass than fail?"
We failed --> everyone suffered 1 fatigue and 1 damage and this really resulted 3/4 heroes to die! We ticked from the App one hero and marked KO. This triggered the "Mission is over" screen and rewards, 120 gold and 1 XP.

After this, we ticked the next hero and marked KO. This triggered NEW "Mission is over" screen and gave us new rewards, gold, XP. And then we ticked the third hero and we received once more rewards.
This is why we had the normal rewards + 2 extra rewards.

I guess this is not just "Embers of Dread" bug.

Edited by delffi

An interesting edge case. Nice that you were able to reproduce the error. Luckily it shouldn't be very common, but it's something to fix nonetheless.

I've reported this bug as well - among some others which I found in the past few days...

Unfortunately this was not fixed in 1.5.3, but maybe in next releases... nevertheless I think it's rare enough so it won't cause much trouble - keep in mind - don't die during travel phase :)

Any thoughts on the cast ward, as well as the shimmer and stuff? There were some things like rescuing people and moving obstacles where it specifically says that it takes an action to do, that you have to be adjacent to try. The wards it doesnt say either of those. It looks like you could just tap each one from anywhere. The shimmer, the label to use it if I remember right is search, but it doesnt say its a search action.

16 minutes ago, Kaaihn said:

Any thoughts on the cast ward, as well as the shimmer and stuff? There were some things like rescuing people and moving obstacles where it specifically says that it takes an action to do, that you have to be adjacent to try. The wards it doesnt say either of those. It looks like you could just tap each one from anywhere. The shimmer, the label to use it if I remember right is search, but it doesnt say its a search action.

I just went through my EoD quest log, and as you said it doesn't say to use an action or be adjacent to either the secret room's entrance, or the wards. The shimmer may say "a hero my search" but it should read "a hero may perform a search action." My suspicion is that it was intended for action and adjacency. Sometimes developers get sloppy with what they think is "obvious."

This is just the quest log though, and not an actual play through. So I can't tell what the text looks like while playing, but I agree it should say "an adjacent hero as an action can dispell this ward."

EDIT: I checked the rulebook and CRRG for Objective Token rules. There are baseline Objective Token rules, but they mostly involved picking up and dropping (not interacting). I'd say for anything involving obj tokens, non-adjacency/action spent needs to be explicitly stated as opposed to making sure that adjacency and action expenditure is stated. In other words, if nothing is specified, default to adjacency and action. Although, it is a massive oversight.

Edited by Jubez187
10 minutes ago, Jubez187 said:

I just went through my EoD quest log, and as you said it doesn't say to use an action or be adjacent to either the secret room's entrance, or the wards. The shimmer may say "a hero my search" but it should read "a hero may perform a search action." My suspicion is that it was intended for action and adjacency. Sometimes developers get sloppy with what they think is "obvious."

This is just the quest log though, and not an actual play through. So I can't tell what the text looks like while playing, but I agree it should say "an adjacent hero as an action can dispell this ward."

EDIT: I checked the rulebook and CRRG for Objective Token rules. There are baseline Objective Token rules, but they mostly involved picking up and dropping (not interacting). I'd say for anything involving obj tokens, non-adjacency/action spent needs to be explicitly stated as opposed to making sure that adjacency and action expenditure is stated. In other words, if nothing is specified, default to adjacency and action. Although, it is a massive oversight.

I agree with your conclusion, that's how we played it. We always default to whatever is harder for the heroes anyway. RtL isn't usually hard enough to offer a challenge, especially if you take advantage of every little thing you can like this.