Inheritance Cycle Spoilers thread

By Tonbo Karasu, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

I've updated the OP now that I've got the numbers from the livestream cards.

There are some interesting outcomes from it. I had always assumed that the 3 1-of cards in each pack would be in the first 3 cards, either as Provinces or Strongholds, with a distribution of 10 neutral provinces, 1 province per Clan and the Dragon stronghold coming to 18. However, there now appears to be another Scorpion province besides Toshi Ranbo. There's also the Anatomist in pack 4, which takes the third slot in the pack. So, what i now reckon for the one-offs are:

• Toshi Ranbo (Pack 1)
  • 5 Neutral Provinces (1 each in packs 1-5, we've seen them all)
  • 7 Clan Provinces (Dragon in Pack 1, Lion & Unicorn in pack 2, Crane in Pack 3, Scorpion or Phoenix in Pack 3-5, Crab in pack 4-5)
  • 1 Stronghold (Dragon, in Pack 5)
  • Something non-provincey in Pack 3 (A philosophy, perhaps, or a unique Holding)
  • An enlightened neutral Province in Pack 6 (Maybe Otosan Uchi?)
  • 2 non-provinces in Pack 6

With Togashi Yoshi and Kitsuki Yuikimi both now accounted for, I think we'll see the rest of the beginner game pre-gens as 1-cost Uniques: Hida Sugi, Doi Ren, Akodo Masako, Isawa Aki, Bayushi Kyo and Shino Takuya.

There's probably 17 Cards per clan (+1 extra for Scorpion and Dragon) and 11 Neutral to make up the 132 cards

On the twitch stream Tyler said only 3 of the pregens from the beginners box were going to be in the set.

2 hours ago, KakitaKaori said:

On the twitch stream Tyler said only 3 of the pregens from the beginners box were going to be in the set.

And I think Yukimi is one of them being an PC from the adventure.

5 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

And I think Yukimi is one of them being an PC from the adventure.

Would that be an NPC, you meant?

9 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

I've updated the OP now that I've got the numbers from the livestream cards.

There are some interesting outcomes from it. I had always assumed that the 3 1-of cards in each pack would be in the first 3 cards, either as Provinces or Strongholds, with a distribution of 10 neutral provinces, 1 province per Clan and the Dragon stronghold coming to 18. However, there now appears to be another Scorpion province besides Toshi Ranbo. There's also the Anatomist in pack 4, which takes the third slot in the pack. So, what i now reckon for the one-offs are:

• Toshi Ranbo (Pack 1)
  • 5 Neutral Provinces (1 each in packs 1-5, we've seen them all)
  • 7 Clan Provinces (Dragon in Pack 1, Lion & Unicorn in pack 2, Crane in Pack 3, Scorpion or Phoenix in Pack 3-5, Crab in pack 4-5)
  • 1 Stronghold (Dragon, in Pack 5)
  • Something non-provincey in Pack 3 (A philosophy, perhaps, or a unique Holding)
  • An enlightened neutral Province in Pack 6 (Maybe Otosan Uchi?)
  • 2 non-provinces in Pack 6

With Togashi Yoshi and Kitsuki Yuikimi both now accounted for, I think we'll see the rest of the beginner game pre-gens as 1-cost Uniques: Hida Sugi, Doi Ren, Akodo Masako, Isawa Aki, Bayushi Kyo and Shino Takuya.

There's probably 17 Cards per clan (+1 extra for Scorpion and Dragon) and 11 Neutral to make up the 132 cards

If this cycle has 4 strongholds I might need new pants

35 minutes ago, Foxtrot Four said:

If this cycle has 4 strongholds I might need new pants

There's really only space for 1 more stronghold, I'm afraid, - in Pack 6

4 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Would that be an NPC, you meant?

yeah weird auto-correct caught that

@Foxtrot Four @Tonbo Karasu Sorry, that probably should have been mentioned earlier...Tyler confirmed during the stream, the Dragon stronghold in pack 5 is the only new stronghold in this cycle.

Grrr...

On 6/23/2019 at 1:45 AM, Kaito Kikaze said:

@Foxtrot Four @Tonbo Karasu Sorry, that probably should have been mentioned earlier...Tyler confirmed during the stream, the Dragon stronghold in pack 5 is the only new stronghold in this cycle.

There should have been a new stronghold for each clan in the first cycle. And people wonder why deckbuilding is stale...

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:45 AM, Kaito Kikaze said:

Ugh! And I was hoping for the Utaku Palaces for Unicorn this cycle opening up a potential honour running victory path with Battle Maidens. I expect it will happen at some point but to add to Kudzlin's point, it would be good to have more than one high tier deckbuild for each clan to keep deckbuilding possibilities more varied. As more cards are released you would expect this anyway, which is why I was so dismayed to hear about the card rotation plans which will just stifle this. :(

50 minutes ago, The Steel Unicorn said:

Ugh! And I was hoping for the Utaku Palaces for Unicorn this cycle opening up a potential honour running victory path with Battle Maidens. I expect it will happen at some point but to add to Kudzlin's point, it would be good to have more than one high tier deckbuild for each clan to keep deckbuilding possibilities more varied. As more cards are released you would expect this anyway, which is why I was so dismayed to hear about the card rotation plans which will just stifle this. :(

A Unicorn SH was unlikely, because they have already 3.

I think that from a balancing standpoint it is almost impossible to have 2 or more high tier deckbuilds for every clan. It would be nice if every clan would have 1 high tier strategy, which I don't think is the case atm. But I guess it is a question of how we define "high tier".

From the cards leaked I don't think that Shiro Kitsuki will make waves in the meta. GIven that Shiro Kitsuki needs very specific support to become better than the core box, chances are high that it will stay that way for quite some time.

The more competitively viable strategies there are for each clan, the better. Role locking clans compounds the lack of strongholds in making deckbuilding stale.

3 hours ago, Khudzlin said:

There should have been a new stronghold for each clan in the first cycle. And people wonder why deckbuilding is stale...

The warlord suites, and getting a new one for each faction each cycle, was part of why I still love 40kConquestLCG

2 hours ago, Brekekekiwi said:

The warlord suites, and getting a new one for each faction each cycle, was part of why I still love 40kConquestLCG

Well, they slowed down on new warlords after the second cycle (the 3rd only had 4 warlords iirc), but at least they brought each faction up to 3 before that.

From Imgur ( https://imgur.com/a/Kcr5cdT )

f3oTB4p.jpg

Pi1KKcV.jpg

q9DvSj8.jpg

RKKWiWq.jpg

x9uRTib.jpg

h9mAX83.jpg

LG2h54e.jpg

pabKjyU.jpg

8tuxa9F.jpg

Tq9vTcg.jpg

Are they still hot takes if they come several days late?

Conflict Between Kin - Oh, sweet kami, this card is a format writer's nightmare. WHAT DO YOU DO?! There is the one interpretation, which is probably correct, that it prevents your opponent's Characters from being targeted by Events and Attachments which share the Character's faction alignment. However, without a comma before the "if", it can be interpreted as just preventing your Opponent's Characters at that province from being the target of Events AT ALL, and ALSO prevents them from having Attachments played to them which share their faction alignment. No matter way, it's bad in the mirror. Either way? This is a Void Province that is not Shameful Display or Pilgrimage. Thus, it is trash.

Kitsuki Yuikimi - Another solid Dragon Clan 3 drop. With all Events being triggered Abilities, along with several Character Abilities, Province Abilities, etc... This is how teflon in Dragon Clan should be working. Furthermore, she's a Champion, so she is perfect for a Daimyo L5R deck.

A New Name - Void Role locked because this attachment does nothing? HA! It's a free +1 Mil / +1 Pol without Restricted. That's not nothing. This gets bigger in Dragon, and it is going to be nasty in the Crane dueling deck. It does not have to do much on its own if it turns on For Shame + Duel to the Death or Justicar's Approach.

Forbearer's Echoes - Good to see the Phoenix expanding their repertoire into Yellow Cards. I'm sure the Unicorn will also appreciate the support of gaining a second, unrestricted Charge!. Oh, wait, this is supposed to help the Lion Clan? Then why is it Air Role when they are not going to get one at World's, and why does it not require a Lion in any of its targeting? And why is it 1 Influence?

Justicar's Approach - Continuing in our tradition of cards which are amazing for factions other than the one they are printed in, allow me to introduce this fine Green Card which is going be amazing in Scorpion and Crane decks. But wait, their courtiers don't have good Military skill you say? Oh, you don't understand this card at all, I respond. In Kyuden Kakita it is LITERALLY a "I have more Military skill than you on my Courtier. Dishonor / Bow / Die or give me honor equal to the difference of our Skills." Losing in KK literally costs you nothing, because you can just rehonor your dueler. In Scorpion, this is a STRAIGHT UP KILL. Shoju1 and Kachiko can murder you HARD with this card. An Honored Favored Niece can eat you with this card. ****, even an Illustrious Plagiarist or a Young Rumormonger loves this card. The real question is if this card is good enough to replace the other splash cards which compliment Let Go.

Student of Anatomies - A little overcosted for stats in Crab, but a phase-agnostic sacrifice to Cloud anyone on the board that sticks to the end of the phase is pretty good, honestly. And they turn on the ability to play Cloud the Mind. Double win.

Ide Ryoma - Finally a reason to play Seal of the Unicorn! No. Seriously. Hear me out. This punishes people for splashing Unicorn for Iuchi Wayfinder, and if you just run Seal of the Unicorn, it lets you basically ready someone not in the Conflict to bow their biggest body in the Conflict that Ryoma is participating. Add to that effectively GOD tier stats for Unicorn (0 Mil / Pol 4 for 3 Fate on a Cavalry Courtier?!?! *scouter explodes*), and you have a staple if the Unicorn ever get their GPO / Shiro Shinjo mid range Courtier deck up off the ground.

Smuggler's Cove - Welp, Seeker of Water just got playable. Smoke 'em if you got 'em. Though in all seriousness, this is a solidly good province. Reusable Favorable Ground is awesome. Period.

Petal Village Estates - Huh. I wonder if the Imperial Scorpion Swarm deck will be a thing in the near future. A Kuni Labs which does not cost Honor sounds nice. Hm. Hmmmmmm. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. *the jank intensifies*

Inferno Guard Invoker - Mediocre stats for Shugenja and Fire with a potato-ing Glory and a Conflict-gated ability makes this not the incredible card people seem to think it is. However, I think it will have some distinct legs in a Kyuden Isawa, Lion Splash, Shiba Exploding Honor Runner.

I've added in the details from the last pack, and will point out here as well that I think Shoju's Duty is going to have 20 cards with 3 copies of each, there being 0 Provinces or Strongholds in it.

Going by what was said during the live stream - that all element locked cards are in Bonds of Blood - Alluring Patron, the scorpion fire conflict character should be in there as well, making it card number 42 in your list

8 hours ago, Amathul said:

Going by what was said during the live stream - that all element locked cards are in Bonds of Blood - Alluring Patron, the scorpion fire conflict character should be in there as well, making it card number 42 in your list

That's a useful wrinkle that I wasn't aware of, thankyou.

ETA: And with a bit of comparison and a couple of assumptions, that means there should be a Dragon water-locked card in Bonds of Blood.

Edited by Tonbo Karasu

Water-locked Dragon card you say... like maybe a conflict character? 🤔

2 hours ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

Water-locked Dragon card you say... like maybe a conflict character? 🤔

That would fit. The way you say that makes me think that you know something that I don't know. And it isn't that you're not left handed.

9 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

That would fit. The way you say that makes me think that you know something that I don't know. And it isn't that you're not left handed.

Most of the cards- including all Dragon cards- leaked already.

9 hours ago, Ignithas said:

Most of the cards- including all Dragon cards- leaked already.

where are these supposed "leaks"?

On the interwebz, they're not so much leaks as apparently a distribution and communication snafu, which (from what I understand) led to one or more overseas stores receiving the entire cycle and selling the packs before they found out they were breaking street date.

However it happened, they're images of actual cards, as opposed to text only leaks of yesteryear.

7 minutes ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

On the interwebz, they're not so much leaks as apparently a distribution and communication snafu, which (from what I understand) led to one or more overseas stores receiving the entire cycle and selling the packs before they found out they were breaking street date.

However it happened, they're images of actual cards, as opposed to text only leaks of yesteryear.

so where are these images? i am curious to see what is missing from the list