By Bayushi Kec, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

l5c19_akodo-zentaro.png l5c19_tower-watch.png

l5c19_shiba-sophist.png l5c19_purity-of-spirit.png

l5c19_perfect-cut.png l5c19_hantei-sotorii.png

Needs more Mantis.

Crown Prince? Oh crap....

Edit: Cat ninja!

Edited by Coyote Walks

So, if I'm reading it right, with Disguise I could attack Political with my Lion's Pride Brawler; chuck on some Fine Katana's; bow their guy; and then surprise! It was Akodo Zentarō all along. And so I just discard my bowed LPB and get a ready Zentarō with those same Katana's to attack Military?

48 minutes ago, Uramov said:

So, if I'm reading it right, with Disguise I could attack Political with my Lion's Pride Brawler; chuck on some Fine Katana's; bow their guy; and then surprise! It was Akodo Zentarō all along. And so I just discard my bowed LPB and get a ready Zentarō with those same Katana's to attack Military?

Well, Zentarō has a 'D', so I'd think you'd have to play him during the Dynasty phase. But it would probably work that way for conflict characters. The funny part is that they wouldn't have to be the same Clan if it is only checking a trait.

21 minutes ago, Coyote Walks said:

Well, Zentarō has a 'D', so I'd think you'd have to play him during the Dynasty phase. But it would probably work that way for conflict characters. The funny part is that they wouldn't have to be the same Clan if it is only checking a trait.

The article says you can play a disguised character anytime you can play a character from hand.

I was more wondering if I'd just misread the article and missed anything about whether the character you replace had to be ready.

Looks like it, as it states they enter play unbowed.

33 minutes ago, Chupacabra52 said:

The article says you can play a disguised character anytime you can play a character from hand.

Hmmm?

Even if they are a dynasty card like Akodo Zentarō, you can use the disguised keyword any time you could play a character from your hand during the conflict phase, and they will always enter the field unbowed.

You're right. I stand corrected.

12 minutes ago, Uramov said:

I was more wondering if I'd just misread the article and missed anything about whether the character you replace had to be ready.

I misread it. Your idea above totally works. 👍

Not a fan of the entering un-bowed, but I guess it'll make games exciting. It just feels like it overshadows the thematic mechanic of changing a characters abilities with the prospect of getting a free extra character swing.

I'm also not sure about the full-art promos directly from FFG. Is that a thing they've done before, and did it impact in-store sales? I would hate to see local players buying online instead of supporting the game in store.

I like that Purity of Spirit. Not convinced to build a bushi-oriented Phoenix deck, though :P

@AradonTemplar Not everyone has a LGS. I don’t. It’s nice for those of us to be able to get them even though we only play causally.

So, there's 22 cards in For the Empire .

So what do you think the final 1-off will be, besides Toshi Ranbo and Sotorii?

The honor of a Bushi is essential to victory, and none are as honorable or glorious as those hailing from the Hantei dynasty.

It's official: whoever's writing this doesn't read the fiction.

That image of Sotorii is some sort of massive spoiler. I mean, technically he did cut his new swordsmanship teacher, but it read as a minor wound that wouldn't have left that much blood on his sword at all. Otherwise, by all indication, he has never successfully enough in a sword fight in order to cut anyone like that.

So that feels like it is a scene from a story we haven't seen yet. And there is a pretty short list of people he might slice up. And that he still says "crown prince" even though he was specifically stated to no longer be so in the most recent stories also suggests a short list of targets.

And generally the artwork has been lagging well behind the fiction, so it is odd that they would spoil the outcome of the events the most recent fictions have been focused on like this.

And beyond that, the indication in recent fiction has been that his stats wouldn't have been so high either.

Anyway, I am not sure giving a +3 glory is a particularly good ability at this point in the game when it is so much easier to dishonor someone than honor someone, in fact the Crane exclusively have enough ways to honor cards to make use of it, and the Phoenix are the only clan that have the ability to weaponize glory directly-- and even that is only 1 or 2 event cards in their whole deck.

Although he can use his ability on himself. So if you can win one battle with him, he'll be honored and then be a 7/6 and will be able to boost himself to a 10/9 using his ability. Couple him with one of the imperial cards that negate opponent's events so they can't send him home or destroy him using a card from hand and he'll be able to steam-roll stuff.

Which is really far beyond what I would have expected from the character has he has been portrayed in the fiction so far.

That image in from when Sotorii cut a peasant from falling in front of him.

1 hour ago, TheHobgoblyn said:

Anyway, I am not sure giving a +3 glory is a particularly good ability at this point in the game when it is so much easier to dishonor someone than honor someone, in fact the Crane exclusively have enough ways to honor cards to make use of it, and the Phoenix are the only clan that have the ability to weaponize glory directly-- and even that is only 1 or 2 event cards in their whole deck. 

Well he can give glory to a dishonored character to make them worse off and the target doesn't need to be a character you control. In decks that can honor or dishonor characters reliably his ability does become "give an honored character +3 Mil/+3 Pol or give a dishonored character -3 Mil/-3 Pol."

2 hours ago, Ultimatecalibur said:

Well he can give glory to a dishonored character to make them worse off and the target doesn't need to be a character you control. In decks that can honor or dishonor characters reliably his ability does become "give an honored character +3 Mil/+3 Pol or give a dishonored character -3 Mil/-3 Pol."

Oh, that is true. My thought always goes towards increasing the numbers on the table, I often overlook the tricks involved in decreasing those numbers.

So Disguised is like a conflict character except it's heavily telegraphed, potentially discounted and more restricted on how it can be played. I think it's fine. If Zentaro was a conflict character I think he'd more more worrisome. It's nice that they are giving Lion some in clan holding control. Also a way to better utilize their cheap bushi.

23 minutes ago, phillos said:

So Disguised is like a conflict character except it's heavily telegraphed, potentially discounted and more restricted on how it can be played. I think it's fine. If Zentaro was a conflict character I think he'd more more worrisome. It's nice that they are giving Lion some in clan holding control. Also a way to better utilize their cheap bushi.

You can have disguised conflict characters. I believe they mentioned them. I expect to see a number of "Disguised Shinobi" or "Disguised <Scorpion Mon>"

32 minutes ago, phillos said:

I think Disguised is more a broader version of the CCG's experienced mechanic. Disguised Dynasty characters are less going to be surprises and more likely to be easier to get into play high cost characters.

My hot takes on these new cards and rules.

Disguise - As a a mechanic? I think that this will be an edge for the Conquest / Tempo style play if only for the fact that it readies a character. Being able to squeeze that extra Conflict out of a Character is a good thing. I expect to see this mechanic really find its place in the Unicorn and Lion right now, though with the possibility of Crab, depending on how their wide-board gets supported.

Toshi Ranbo - This card makes me want to run it in a Kyuden Bayushi deck, though something makes me curious how this card will interact with Hidden Moon Dojo.

Akodo Zentaro - Hm. The Disguise mechanic makes this character playable. Though my brain immediately goes to combining this guy with Kitsu Spiritcaller to bring out a non-Unique body with a useful ability (like a Lion's Pride Brawler or Honored General), popping the ability, then swapping them with this guy and not having to shuffle them back into the deck at the end of the Conflict. As for his ability? Stealing Iron Mines are nice, but being a Dynasty character makes this guy too predictable for any other Holding.

Fifth Tower Watch - Well, my partner will love this card, but she likes any support for the Sacrificial Crab Deck. 4 Political Strength in Crab will be appreciated. Other than that, nothing amazing. This will also make an awesome Disguise target.

Shiba Sophist - Telegraphed, but any form of tutoring is always good. Honestly, the weakest part of this card is that he is a Bushi, and does not have the right keyword to combo with really solid Spells, like Cloud the Mind or Embrace the Void.

Purity of Spirit - Oooo. THIS I like. Not for the fact that it honors a Bushi, but that's a good thing. The fact that it clears the Status token at the end of a Conflict gives it teeth, as it can be effectively used to both clear Dishonored from your guy, Honored from your opponent, and any other Status tokens that they might create down the line.

A Perfect Cut - This is another card we are going to see a lot in Unicorn, Lion, and Crab. +2 Mil and Honored in a neutral card is really what these decks need. Again, my brain keeps going back to how this will work with Disguise, and how the transferring of the Honored status token is going be solid.

Hantei Sotorii - I am just going to put this out here, and see what people think. He is a VERY high risk, high reward character. With all the new ways to get Honored, I would not be surprised to see him prove to be a monsterly province crusher. Get him Honored, and he's a potentially 10 Mil / 9 Pol before Attachments. Will this be enough to see play? Who knows, but I am liking that this makes my Imperial tribal deck more viable.

And from the livestream:

Shinjo Kyora - Ring swapping is a weird effect. This does allow you to grab the Fate off of two Rings on the attack, however, so do not underestimate that. Again, it's the Disguise mechanic that holds the most interest for me with this. Cavalry Reserves out a Moto Horde. Crush a province or what not. Find a way to get a bowed Moto Horde into a Conflict (you're a Unicorn, you have ways). Disguise Kyora into play, Ready and in the Conflict. Laugh.

11 hours ago, Hyperjayman said:

@AradonTemplar Not everyone has a LGS. I don’t. It’s nice for those of us to be able to get them even though we only play causally.

I'm glad that they are available directly, I'm just not sure about actively incentivizing direct sales rather than through an LGS. If the majority of players switched to buying packs online, it wouldn't be good for the health of the game.

That being said, I don't actually think this will have that effect. I think most players that can are still going to buy from their local shops, thanks to store credit, customer discounts, and immediacy of purchase, so I'm not too worried about it. And if that's correct, then it's nice for players that don't have access to tournaments to get some nice promos for themselves, too.

That out of the way, I'm pretty wary of these disguised characters. I'm just brainstorming some characters that will combo well with disguise, if they have any appealing Disguised cards to combo with:

Brash Samurai and Cautious Scout, Savvy Politician

Mirumoto Prodigy, Doomed Shugenja (just for a 'free' 3/3 body)

Venerable Historian, and really any of the Pride Bushi, but especially Akodo Gunso (since Lion will be able to turn up more cards)

Iuchi Farseer, Meishodo Wielder, Sneaky Shinjo/Shinjo Scout (Normally I wouldn't really want a 1/1 for 1, but if it's actually just a down payment on a character I'll play later and lets me pass first, seems practical)

Hiruma Skirmisher, Yasuki Procurer (eehhhhh I think I'm stretching it here), Kaiu Envoy

Naive Student (ehhh again this is minor), Shrine Maiden (Disguised monk or Phoenix only), Feral Ningyo (Phoenix only, but SPICY and also immersion-breaking), Fire Tensai Initiate (if comboing with Tsuko for the easy honor) - Edit: Adding Pacifist Philosopher. It's not a great card, but like Meishodo Wielder, you can play it, get your fate back, and then transform him into something else. Maybe a deck will arise that wants him....

For scorpion, I guess there's Fawning Diplomat, which is pretty minor, but Ignoble Enforcers could be hilarious if there are any 5-cost disguises worth playing in Scorpion.

Basically anything that you don't buy for the body, or has an easy way to honor itself, works really really well with Disguise. I guess I'm assuming that Disguised characters will be worth their fate cost normally. If they're overpriced, then it depends on if the 'tax' on them is worth paying for the synergies above.

Edited by AradonTemplar

I'll wait and see where Disguise takes us, but I feel it's likely a power creep to make bow actions less relevant, which will in turn may see more bow actions distributed openly. We might even see Mirumoto's Fury being taken off the restricted list, who knows.

I just kind of wish that they didn't name it Disguise , it reeks of sneakiness that bushi and etc from half the Clans likely won't do. Kind of wished it was called promotion or ascension or something, like a hero emerges from the rank and file, proving themselves to be worth of glory and recognition. You know, samurai doing fantasy samurai stuff in a fantasy samurai game.

Edited by Hordeoverseer
2 minutes ago, Hordeoverseer said:

I'll  wait and see where Disguise takes us, but I feel it's likely a power creep to make bow actions less relevant, which will in turn may see more bow actions distributed openly. We might even see Mirumoto's Fury being taken off the restricted list, who knows.

I just kind of wish that they didn't name it Disguise , it reeks of sneakiness that bushi and etc from half the Clans likely won't do. Kind of wished it was called promotion or ascension or something, like a hero emerges from the rank and file, proving themselves to be worth of glory and recognition. You  know, samurai doing fantasy samurai stuff in a fantasy samurai game.    

I do agree. Listening to the Imperial Advisor podcast now, and I see references above too to the Experienced mechanic, so 'Experienced Bushi' would be pretty fitting. I'd also throw out'Distinguished Bushi' too.

11 hours ago, Mangod said:

So, there's 22 cards in For the Empire .

So what do you think the final 1-off will be, besides Toshi Ranbo and Sotorii?

My current bet is that there will be 3 Province cards. Sotorii isn't "1 per deck" and I'm pretty sure that Toshi Ranbo is number 1, which means there's no stronghold in this Dynasty PAck.

Man, I hope they aren't doing 1 of Neutral Provinces now. It hurts my multiple decks (first world problems). I guess we get a greater quantity of cards.

Edited by Hordeoverseer