Lost Legends: Trickster-Let's find THE Arcane Fusion

By Alarin, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

So, we finally got the bridges between mage and scout and possibly every other hybrid combo. What's cool is that the Trickster is going to make hybrid weapons and I feel like there are definitely some crazy things to be done with the skill.

udj45_card_arcane-fusion.png

What do you think? We can only apply magic weapons so:

https://descent2e.fandom.com/wiki/Cathegory:Magic

My first wow moment was with the Heart Seeker. To apply ability to ignore los in combination with any weapon with Blast could be devastating to any OL.

Or have the Staff of Greyhaven-ability to convert 3range into 3damage with an equiped BlueYellowYellow weapon could deal some nice damage!

3xp may be a lot but looks like every campaign with the Trcickster will be totally different gameplay and I love it!

It looks like to be really situationnal. Some cards mixed together will bring howfully powerfull weapons and I'm afraid of the balance. On many occasions, it will only be fun.

But the other card looks like really more broken to me. For 1 fatigue, not exhausting it, you can teleport and change place with another hero is crazy strong.

Edited by rugal

Soul Stone becomes terrifying in Act 2. It has a very powerful pierce ability and decent damage dice (blue red) but can’t really bump up it’s damage. Transplant that ability on anything else and you have a sword or bow that consumes monsters in its path.

Also, the Soul stone would be very thematic for the Soul Reaper.

3 xp point is much.

If only aquired during Act I or after the Interlude, few items can worth the try : Staff of Greyhaven, Battle tome and Witch hazel bow, especially on the first two. For sure, giving a weapon sorcery 3 or + X equal to your knowledge can really be strong.

If you had luck during Act II, Lightning javelin and Rune of blades can boost impresively your weapons, adding your might to range and stun is really strong (but the weapon is already strong by itself) and pierce 2 to all attack too.

Situationnaly, on some relics, it can be really strong, for example the Staff of light or Shadow rune, even if the last one is a good weapon enough as itself. Valyndra's bane is the best weapon to receives any boost since it does not use its surge (it would be so devastating, this weapon is already broken, but then it will be insane)

Some items like the Glaive lacks of surge, Mace of Kellos, but the best one to receive this card are the Fists of irons, that can really be devastating. You can also add the Witch Hazel bow to the Repeated crossbow or even the Crossbow.

Theses are my better thoughts for now.

On many of the other items, it does not worth the 3xp point assuming that you need the money to buy thoses two weapons. So, if you are already powerfull or rich, you don't need it. And if you're not, nor either, it's useless. Combining the starting weapon with any other one for 3xp is really a waste. So, fun, for sure, good idea, indeed, can be really fun fighting the app, but almost useless on a real overlord opponenent.

Edited by rugal

Does the weapon gain the abilities of both the weapons?

Yes. And sometimes it can be a malus

Ok now, how would you resolve this case:

Silhouette-trickster

She is carrying a [1-hand], [second 1-hand with the Battle Tome attached via Arcane Fusion]and the [Handbow]

She misses and deals 1+3 weapons = 4 damage right? The Battle Tome isn't equiped by wording itself. Silhouette would go full crazy getting drunk all the time so she can only miss everything.

But if the Battle Tome isn't equiped, you can't unequip after use. So can she use the Battle Tome double surge ability without limitations?

The card states, that the equipped weapon gains the abilities and traits of the fused weapon. So I'd say you have to unequip the weapon, that the battle tome is fused to, once you use the ability.

Edited by DerDelphi

There are two separate things going on here...

1 hour ago, Alarin said:

Silhouette -trickster

She is carrying a [1-hand], [second 1-hand with the Battle Tome attached via Arcane Fusion]and the [ Handbow ]

She misses and deals 1+3 weapons = 4 damage right? The Battle Tome isn't equiped by wording itself. Silhouette would go full crazy getting drunk all the time so she can only miss everything.

Arcane Fusion specifically states that you 'choose 1 unequipped magic weapon', so Battle Tome would not count as another equipped weapon. Silhouette therefore would still have three weapons equipped, the same as without Arcane Fusion.

1 hour ago, Alarin said:

But if the Battle Tome isn't equiped, you can't unequip after use. So can she use the Battle Tome double surge ability without limitations?

The "After this attack resolves, unequip this weapon" text is part of the double-surge ability. If you were therefore to use Arcane Fusion to allow you to spend that double-surge with another weapon, you would then have to unequip that weapon after the attack. Whether the Battle Tome would remain fused with it is unclear from the text on the Arcane Fusion card - that'll be one of many many questions to hopefully get FFG to resolve for the CRRG 😛

On 2/16/2019 at 3:33 PM, rugal said:

Yes. And sometimes it can be a malus

We, poor fan content creators, cannot even think to compete with some of the most OP and lazy designs of some FFG employees xD At first you are happy with the Soul Reaper hero class, and then THIS... I'm curious if the designer is the same person.

I just realized that Arvel Worldwalker as a trickster has Arcane Fusion for free after accumulating skills worth 3 or more XP:

1. Use Heroic feat at end of an encounter to get Arcane Fusion.
2. Use Arcane Fusion at the start of the next encounter to fuse a weapon
3. Use Heroic feat to change Arcane Fusion to something else, according to the text on Arcane Fusion the fused weapon will stay fused. 😵

Edited by Sadgit

I would argue that since you no longer have the Arcane Fusion card, the text that says 'as long as this weapon remains equipped it gains the abilities and traits of the chosen weapon' wouldn't be active anymore even if the weapon is still 'fused'.

Edited by Charmy

Yep, I agree. But wouldn't it be great ...

6 hours ago, Sadgit said:

Yep, I agree. But wouldn't it be great ...

like many other cards of lost legends, finally ...