** If you succeed, inflict a critical strike on your target...

By gareth_lazelle, in Rules Questions

** If you succeed, inflict a critical strike on your target with severity equal to your weapon's deadliness.

Am I correct in thinking that because this Opportunity is part of the "Strike" Action described on p. 260 & 264, it cannot be used with other types of technique that grant Attack Actions (e.g.: "Flowing Water Strike", etc), as they do not use the "Strike" Action?

Yes, that’s my understanding too. Same with the Iaijutsu strikes too: no double opp crit.

So if I roll a basic Strike, hit AND have 2 opportunities, it works like this: first, I apply the critical hit, THEN I apply the regular hit?

@Kaiju according to pp. 24 & 25, we resolve opps after successes. So normal damage first (which might trigger a crit by itself), then the double-opp-spend for a crit.

16 minutes ago, Kaiju said:

So if I roll a basic Strike, hit AND have 2 opportunities, it works like this: first, I apply the critical hit, THEN I apply the regular hit?

the crit is after because you need to succeed on the strike for the crit to work. if you didn't have to succeed on the strike, then you would have a case probably.

2 minutes ago, sidescroller said:

@Kaiju according to pp. 24 & 25, we resolve opps after successes. So normal damage first (which might trigger a crit by itself), then the double-opp-spend for a crit.

According to p.24,25 opps are resolved before the success/fail.

In the case of Strike, the crit is after because the crit only trigger if you Succeed on the Strike action.

Edited by Avatar111
6 minutes ago, Avatar111 said:

According to p.24,25 opps are resolved before the success/fail.

In the case of Strike, the crit is after because the crit only trigger if you Succeed on the Strike action.

Lol you’re right that’s what I get for not paying attention. I just saw the ‘splodie symbol first misremembered it as success. Been awhile since I thought about this game, just getting back into it 😂