Rancorzillo (suggestions welcome)

By Jaric256, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

With regionals past, it's time to go back to casual fun lists for friendly play. I got a wild hair and want to try temp alliancing a rancor into imperial to take advantage of officers, Palpatine and zillo.

Deployments:
Rancor [10]
Emperor Palpatine [8]
Captain Terro [7]
Thrawn [6]
2x Imperial Officer [4]
Jawa Scavenger [2]
Temporary Alliance (E) [1]
Feeding Frenzy [1]
Zillo Technique [1]

Commands:
Crush [3]
Wild Fury [2]
Parting Blow [2]
Roar [1]
Ferocity [1]
Survival Instincts [1]
Regroup [1]
Negation [1]
Deathblow [1]
Brace for Impact [1]
Stealth Tactics [1]
Rally [0]
Planning [0]
Take Initiative [0]
Foresee [0]

Anyone ever tried anything like this?

I once played against a guy with 2 rancors and Vader :P . So not quite your list, but zillo did make the rancors tougher to kill. It was a bit tougher to get them around without beast tamer, but your double officer should be able to help out with that

14 hours ago, ManateeX said:

I once played against a guy with 2 rancors and Vader :P . So not quite your list, but zillo did make the rancors tougher to kill. It was a bit tougher to get them around without beast tamer, but your double officer should be able to help out with that

Yeah, my plan is to make a very defensive rancor that can use Thrawns surge tokens and feeding frenzy to heal itself. Not sure when I'll get a chance to test it out but it should at least be fun

I've got a Vader Rancor list I can't wait to bust out some day. I love this list, wish you could fit in extra armor but it'd be tough, with the emperor maybe feeding frenzy is better (problem is they have to be adjacent though, negating the Rancies reach ability).

Would advanced coms systems work for extending the range of feeding frenzy?

I wonder if Extra Armor isn’t as good as Zillo? when you also factor in that you can have Beast Tamer?

The surge from Thrawn is appealing though.

4 hours ago, GuillotineTE said:

Would advanced coms systems work for extending the range of feeding frenzy?

Both feeding frenzy and advances coms are upgrades so you’d have to pick. Also the rancor isn’t a leader so it wouldn’t work.

12 hours ago, Doowa said:

I wonder if Extra Armor isn’t as good as Zillo? when you also factor in that you can have Beast Tamer?

The surge from Thrawn is appealing though.

Beast tamer is a Scum upgrade and this is an imperial list. Otherwise I'd absolutely take beast tamer.

Edited by Jaric256

Sorry if I wasn’t clear enough, but that’s what I wanted to discuss; is Zillo that much better then Extra Armor to warrant the switch to the imperial faction?

8 hours ago, Doowa said:

Sorry if I wasn’t clear enough, but that’s what I wanted to discuss; is Zillo that much better then Extra Armor to warrant the switch to the imperial faction?

Ah I gotcha.

I think so, when you take into account that also opens up the emperor and also Captain Terro who can take advantage of the creature cards as well.

Regard to extra armor vs zillo, my thought process was it would be. EA would only allow an extra 2 block vs zillo being available whenever I want it as long as I have cards. Zillo will also apply to other figures once the rancor dies and with the prevalence of Pierce two I do think it's worth it.

Also, thematically, I have this story in my head where this is Palpatine's pet rancor. When Palp really needs to just kinda get away and be his true authentic self they go off on a ride together.

It's a sweet story, once you get past the trail of destruction and death they leave behind them.

On 2/17/2019 at 11:12 PM, Jaric256 said:

Also, thematically, I have this story in my head where this is Palpatine's pet rancor. When Palp really needs to just kinda get away and be his true authentic self they go off on a ride together.

It's a sweet story, once you get past the trail of destruction and death they leave behind them.

This could be a new SW movie, "The Rancor Whisperer: A Star Wars Story".

Update: Finally got to test this out against a ranger/drokatta/Sabine heavy fire deck on Uscaru. Only change to the list was switching out the Jawa for a third officer which was the right call. Feeding frenzy wasn't nearly as effective as I hoped it would be and I'd absolutely switch it out for Unshakable the next time I play this.

Close match, ended up winning like 41-36 or something like that. Really fun. Would play again

Congratulations! In another topic someone played around with the idea of Elite Officers. Would you think an eOfficer instead of 2 regular and Feeding Frenzy would be worth trying? I doubt it personally, because, of the lower activation count, but for a potential extra attack?...

On 2/13/2019 at 9:33 PM, ManateeX said:

Haha! Was that against John C in Toronto? Just curious as I played against that too and it was annoying.

On 2/13/2019 at 6:34 PM, Jaric256 said:

With regionals past, it's time to go back to casual fun lists for friendly play. I got a wild hair and want to try temp alliancing a rancor into imperial to take advantage of officers, Palpatine and zillo.

Anyone ever tried anything like this?

I find this list interesting. I want to try it now. I like the idea of putting in the 3rd officer as you say below. I recently experimented with Rancor and loved using him. For the points, he can do a lot of damage. Keeping alive with Zillo and some blocks from Thrawn could make him even more annoying. Also, you have 2 really good targest. You don't want Terro lying around.

5 hours ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

I find this list interesting. I want to try it now. I like the idea of putting in the 3rd officer as you say below. I recently experimented with Rancor and loved using him. For the points, he can do a lot of damage. Keeping alive with Zillo and some blocks from Thrawn could make him even more annoying. Also, you have 2 really good targest. You don't want Terro lying around.

I'd also definitely switch out feeding frenzy for unshakeable. Probably add a second parting blow since the rancor can trigger it on it's own pretty easily , especially with three officers. I also found giving the rancor surge tokens to be particularly fun.

15 hours ago, Jaric256 said:

I'd also definitely switch out feeding frenzy for unshakeable. Probably add a second parting blow since the rancor can trigger it on it's own pretty easily , especially with three officers. I also found giving the rancor surge tokens to be particularly fun.

This sounds so nasty! I am definitely going to try this at some point.

On 3/6/2019 at 10:13 AM, NeverBetTheFett said:

This sounds so nasty! I am definitely going to try this at some point.

Yeah, you can potentially attack/crush/parting blow on a single activation and do a BUNCH of damage.

Edited by Jaric256
On 3/5/2019 at 1:56 PM, NeverBetTheFett said:

Haha! Was that against John C in Toronto? Just curious as I played against that too and it was annoying.

Haha no, that was somebody local here in Halifax

Update 2.0: switched out feeding frenzy with unshakeable and added a second parting blow. This time he took on a scum Hunter list (no IG) and again won two very close games. This is quickly becoming my favorite list.