Runebound RPG

By Northern Dragon2, in DungeonQuest

Don't get me wrong, I'll keep buying every Runebound-verse board game FF puts out, but what I'm really dying for is a Runebound RPG.

Me too!

I would be happy if someone would just take the time to compile all the fluff from Runebound, Descent, Runewars, and now Dungeonquest into a post or something. Then I could just use it for another system.

I would also love to see an original RPG system from FFG that uses elements from the board games.

You are not the only ones. Some time ago I made a post in the Wishing Well & Crystal Ball and I wrote there that it would be great if FFG would made such a title. An RPG set in the Terrinoth would be a very good idea.

After all we have so many games set in this realm - Runebound, Runewars, Descent and now DungeonQuest so why not make a real RPG.

Maybe in the future the dream will come true. :)

I would love to see Runebound LCG. Before the Terrinoth event I'd thaught that it would be the mysterious third game. Would you enjoy Living Card Game set in Terrinoth?

Northern Dragon said:

Don't get me wrong, I'll keep buying every Runebound-verse board game FF puts out, but what I'm really dying for is a Runebound RPG.

I don't think it would be too hard to run a D&D campaign using these heroes and game pieces for theme. Draw up a few pre-gen characters and maybe a few of the more iconic items from the deck. Good to go.

I've thought about doing that myself, but I have a few other RPG ideas I want to explore first =)

Tony P. said:

Me too!

I would be happy if someone would just take the time to compile all the fluff from Runebound, Descent, Runewars, and now Dungeonquest into a post or something. Then I could just use it for another system.

I would also love to see an original RPG system from FFG that uses elements from the board games.

Steve-O has since posted a link to his compilation of all the Runiverse fluff he could find in addition to his conclusions and add-ons. I know he has posted this in the Descent forum, not sure if he has done it anywhere else as well but it is certainly worth looking at.

I did cross post it here and in the other Runiverse games' forums, but the meat of the discussion about it ended up in the Descent forum, where I posted the original. Here's the link for those who want it:

Runiverse Fluff

I wonder if they'll leave the RPG alone and keep the setting fluid for their boardgames instead. That way they can create and pull from the setting as they go rather than lock themselves into something with an RPG. Its a great setting for an RPG but maybe that's the plan.

keltheos said:

I wonder if they'll leave the RPG alone and keep the setting fluid for their boardgames instead. That way they can create and pull from the setting as they go rather than lock themselves into something with an RPG. Its a great setting for an RPG but maybe that's the plan.

I'm pretty sure that is the plan. At least, FFG hasn't made any announcements about a Terrinoth RPG and this idea has been getting bounced around in the fanbase for a long, long time now. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to run your own game in this setting if you want to, as I mentioned in an earlier post, just use D&D and change a few setting details.

Meh I would buy it, but probably buy it to play with other game systems (using the realms as the base.) That is unless the actual system intrigued me.

I'd like to be able to use Runebound as the adventure generator and when conflicts occur, pull out Descent to resolve. That would be my ideal RPG. :P

EvilTofu said:

I'd like to be able to use Runebound as the adventure generator and when conflicts occur, pull out Descent to resolve. That would be my ideal RPG. :P

Oddly enough, that's exactly what I'm planning to do for my upcoming Terrinoth D&D game. I'm using challenge cards from Runebound to develop the plot (mainly focused on Vorakesh's efforts to raise Margath) and planning to use all the Descent bits for combat and such.

The game will be a sandbox environment, so whether or not Vorakesh succeeds in raising Margath will depend largely on how much the heroes do to foil his actions - Vorakesh will have a predetermined series of actions assuming no interference, and every time the heroes do interfere, he will react accordingly.

Also, Dragonfire Dungeon has been placed on the map, so if the heroes stumble across it and go inside, I'm thinking of using DQ to lay out the dungeon as they explore it - setting up the rooms with Descent tiles if/when they get into combat with things. Despite recycling bits from all the Runiverse games I can find, the mechanics will be purely D&D.

Steve-O said:

EvilTofu said:

Oddly enough, that's exactly what I'm planning to do for my upcoming Terrinoth D&D game. I'm using challenge cards from Runebound to develop the plot (mainly focused on Vorakesh's efforts to raise Margath) and planning to use all the Descent bits for combat and such.

The game will be a sandbox environment, so whether or not Vorakesh succeeds in raising Margath will depend largely on how much the heroes do to foil his actions - Vorakesh will have a predetermined series of actions assuming no interference, and every time the heroes do interfere, he will react accordingly.

Where you live? I'd love to play that! :)

SoylentGreen said:

Ottawa, ON, Canada. You'd be welcome to join if you happen to live here =)

If not, I was thinking of sharing the material I come up with in case anyone else wants to run a similar campaign of their own. Keep your eyes peeled for that.

Steve-O said:

SoylentGreen said:

Ottawa, ON, Canada. You'd be welcome to join if you happen to live here =)

If not, I was thinking of sharing the material I come up with in case anyone else wants to run a similar campaign of their own. Keep your eyes peeled for that.

That'd be great - unfortunately I would have to buy Runebound then? That would be just terrible... ;)

And unfortunately the trip from Northern Minnesota would be kind of a haul to play with you...

SoylentGreen said:

That'd be great - unfortunately I would have to buy Runebound then? That would be just terrible... ;)

And unfortunately the trip from Northern Minnesota would be kind of a haul to play with you...

Well I was personally planning to use the Runebound map as the overworld sandbox, since it's all hexes and everything. In theory you might be able to find a way around that by drawing an approximation on a wet-erase hex map or something. Other than the map board I don't think there's much from Runebound you'd need. I am using challenge cards from Runebound to build the plot, but since the game uses D&D mechanics, I won't be using the actual stats or game mechanics from Runebound. None of the tokens are needed either, since XP and character progression are tracked by D&D standards. I might throw out a few cards for the artwork so my players can see what the villains look like or what a special shiny magic item looks like, but that's hardly necessary.

When it's ready, I'll post it (probably in the Descent forum.) You can take a look and see what, if anything, you need to fudge if you like. You might be able to get away without owning Runebound itself. The vast majority of the bits I'm expecting to borrow for this will be coming from Descent, since bits are used most often in combat scenarios. And DQ, as I was mentioning, for Dragonfire Dungeon, but that's a one-off that can easily be done other ways if need be.

Steve-O said:

When it's ready, I'll post it (probably in the Descent forum.) You can take a look and see what, if anything, you need to fudge if you like. You might be able to get away without owning Runebound itself. The vast majority of the bits I'm expecting to borrow for this will be coming from Descent, since bits are used most often in combat scenarios. And DQ, as I was mentioning, for Dragonfire Dungeon, but that's a one-off that can easily be done other ways if need be.

I'd love to see it. Been thinking about something like that myself, but so far I only wrote some adventure stories set in the 'runiverse' ( I really like that phrase happy.gif ) just for fun.

Woah! you're from Ottawa Stevo-O! I am also from Ottawa, Ontario as well. That caught me by surprise to learn that, as I didn't know there was many Runiverse fans in the Ottawa Area. I live in the East End though so maybe still far from where you are.

Darkfire14 said:

Woah! you're from Ottawa Stevo-O! I am also from Ottawa, Ontario as well. That caught me by surprise to learn that, as I didn't know there was many Runiverse fans in the Ottawa Area. I live in the East End though so maybe still far from where you are.

Yeah I'm mid-city, by the experimental farms.

I suppose somebody had to be from around here, statistically. =P

The Experimental Farms area huh. I used to work down in that location a few years back so I know the area. Since both of us are Descent fans, perhaps we could colaborate on developing the setting into an D&D world? As for getting down there, its pretty far but possible by by bus, although if I do join your campaign, my game times would be limited to the bus schedule in that area as I use public transport to get around the city. Anyway good to hear that you're in my area and that we've got two Ruinverse enthusiasts in the Ottawa region.