Set Legality for Children of the Empire

By zixition72, in L5R LCG: Organized Play

Hi Everyone!

Now that we know Children releases on Feb 14th (Yay!), this makes me wonder about how soon those cards will be useable in tournaments. There is a Kotei and Elemental Challenge happening Feb 23,24th in Toronto which I and i'm sure some others are attending and there has been no word from the organizers yet but based on previous rulings, I believe Children would not be legal for those tournaments as it would not be 11 days post launch. The 11th day would be the 25th which would be the day after those events. Is this correct? I have emailed the organizers for clarification but haven't heard back yet.

I don't want to spend time designing a new deck that isn't legal, or on the other end of the spectrum, not designing a new deck and getting stomped by new cards I forgot to include.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Answer is: it's complicated.

By printed rules, CotE should be legal immediately for Elemental Challenges (they're a formal level event) but 11 days later for Koteis (they're a premiere level event).

However, OP has tweeted/posted on Facebook that CotE would not be legal for Elemental Challenges until 11 days after release (while also stating that those remain formal level events). Do Tweets count as official rulings overriding printed rules? Most would probably go with the tweets, but it certainly puts whomever is running the events in a weird place.

The runner of the event replied to me and said as per FFG it would "not" be legal for both the Kotei and Elemental Challenge, however it would be legal for the side skirmish pods.

So yeah complicated but at least I can deck build confidently now.