Can't take the outer rim from me...

By keltheos, in Star Wars: Outer Rim

Looks interesting, love the dashboards. I really enjoyed the Firefly boardgame and this looks similar to the theme of that. Should be a lot of fun. Was there a pricetag yet for it? Might have missed it in the blog post.

Yes, seems much inspired by Firefly, but of course Firefly was inspired by Star Wars, so I guess it's kind of like coming full circle. Also getting vibes of Merchants & Marauders and Xia from this as well. Not bad things. I have been looking forward to a good sandboxy Star Wars board game. Hopefully this will scratch that itch.

Edited by Otakuon
12 minutes ago, keltheos said:

Was there a pricetag yet for it? Might have missed it in the blog post.

According to the official page , MSRP is $64.95.

Seems a little bit pricey for the content to me. Guess the last drops of milk of the cash cow are more expensive.

Looks like possible an improvement to firefly. I have enjoyed playing FF with friends but the game just seems to move so slow.

The base Firefly game without expansions was kind of meh, since there was precious little player interaction. There was nothing you could directly do to stop someone from finishing their jobs apart from hoping you got the chance to move the Alliance or the Reaver ship in their way. And if someone got a big lead, there was really nothing to do but watch them win. Hopefully this has a way to interfere with each other.

3 minutes ago, Barbacuo said:

Seems a little bit pricey for the content to me. Guess the last drops of milk of the cash cow are more expensive.

It's $5.00 more than fallout and x-com .

15 more than Whitechapel or civilization: a new dawn

Less than Doom and some of the other games.

IA base box and Rebellion are $100.00.

This pricing is pretty in line with their other stuff.

There's a **** of a lot of printed material in there though. Depending on how thick the cardboard is for the tokens and the player boards, that's a good chunk of change to print.

And this is totally an excuse to bust out some X-Wing models to replace the counters with. :)

<3 Firefly The Game, and I have all the expansions. I'd love something a bit more modern and easier to setup/break down, so I'm all about this.

Won't replace Firefly, mind, but still an insta-buy from me.

22 minutes ago, DailyRich said:

There's a **** of a lot of printed material in there though. Depending on how thick the cardboard is for the tokens and the player boards, that's a good chunk of change to print.

And this is totally an excuse to bust out some X-Wing models to replace the counters with. :)

This was literally the first thing I thought of when I saw the picture of the board.

EDIT - Now, I'm trying to think of ways to incorporate this game into matches of X-Wing and vice versa... and depending on the influence of Rebel / Imperial elements mentioned in the game, you could try to throw in some Armada cross-over!

Edited by Arttemis

Arkham Horror 2nd Edition was $60 when it came out in 2005. I was still playing PS2 games which were $40 new (can that possibly be right?). PS4 games are $60, so console games have increased by 50% since then. Arkham Horror 3e is $65 (same as this), which is only an 8.333% increase. Inflation being what it is, FFG seems reticent to increase the base value of their games by very much.

9 minutes ago, Duciris said:

Arkham Horror 2nd Edition was $60 when it came out in 2005. I was still playing PS2 games which were $40 new (can that possibly be right?). PS4 games are $60, so console games have increased by 50% since then. Arkham Horror 3e is $65 (same as this), which is only an 8.333% increase. Inflation being what it is, FFG seems reticent to increase the base value of their games by very much.

PS2 software released with an MSRP of $49 USD, though there are different tiers of games that can be valued lower.

I’m interested in armada squadron sized ships for this game - the rogues and villains expansion?

11 minutes ago, Masterchiefspiff said:

I’m interested in armada squadron sized ships for this game - the rogues and villains expansion?

swm14-layout.png

It'll be some (8) of them. I don't believe the Mist Hunter has ever been released.

The first set of squadrons were just fighters (and bombers).

imperial-squadrons-layout-3-cards.png

rebel-squadrons-layout-3-cards.png

The second set had the Ghost, Shadow Caster, Decimator & Lambda.

swm_minis_lineup.jpg

2 hours ago, Otakuon said:

Yes, seems much inspired by Firefly, but of course Firefly was inspired by Star Wars, so I guess it's kind of like coming full circle. Also getting vibes of Merchants & Marauders and Xia from this as well. Not bad things. I have been looking forward to a good sandboxy Star Wars board game. Hopefully this will scratch that itch.

I've been meaning to play firefly and Xia for some time but this could take that place.

2 hours ago, Arttemis said:

This was literally the first thing I thought of when I saw the picture of the board.

EDIT - Now, I'm trying to think of ways to incorporate this game into matches of X-Wing and vice versa... and depending on the influence of Rebel / Imperial elements mentioned in the game, you could try to throw in some Armada cross-over!

My X-Wing group has had a few different people run campaigns. The couple I have done have had the players be a loose-knit group of Scum (with some Rebel tendencies) taking on missions for different Scum factions and sometimes the Rebels (or even the Imperials, if the price is right). This game seems like it could provide some new mission ideas - and hopefully the opportunity to bring out the X-Wing ships when battles occur.

This is a no-brainer purchase for me!

1 hour ago, Spike IT said:

My X-Wing group has had a few different people run campaigns. The couple I have done have had the players be a loose-knit group of Scum (with some Rebel tendencies) taking on missions for different Scum factions and sometimes the Rebels (or even the Imperials, if the price is right). This game seems like it could provide some new mission ideas - and hopefully the opportunity to bring out the X-Wing ships when battles occur.

This is a no-brainer purchase for me!

That sounds great!

4 hours ago, Duciris said:

AH 2nd was 49.95 when it came out in 2005 (trust me on this, I've got my copy in 2006); later reprints had the price tag shift up (as it's expected of course). Just posting for the love of precision

5 hours ago, Arttemis said:

PS2 software released with an MSRP of $49 USD, though there are different tiers of games that can be valued lower.

Heck, some SNES games released at $70

12 hours ago, keltheos said:

Looks interesting, love the dashboards. I really enjoyed the Firefly boardgame and this looks similar to the theme of that. Should be a lot of fun. Was there a pricetag yet for it? Might have missed it in the blog post.

Thematically similar, but in gameplay it sounds like Great Western Trail. More detailed and with greater build options, but a similar sandbox.

Reminds me (too?) much of FireFly and the recently released game Traveller CCG (a living card game), two great games already especially Traveller.

Could be fun though.

Looks fun; like the solo option.

I'm thinking maybe IA minis for character markers, though.

16 hours ago, DailyRich said:

The base Firefly game without expansions was kind of meh, since there was precious little player interaction. There was nothing you could directly do to stop someone from finishing their jobs apart from hoping you got the chance to move the Alliance or the Reaver ship in their way. And if someone got a big lead, there was really nothing to do but watch them win. Hopefully this has a way to interfere with each other.

My game night group actually enjoyed the “set your own pace” nature of the Firefly core game and every game was close. Honestly, if someone at your table is jumping off to a big lead you must be distracted by all the shinies...

The direct interference concepts introduced in the expansions pretty much wrapped the game up for us since it allowed some players to drink to their content and “troll the board” rather than deliver on any real strategy.

22 hours ago, Julia said:

AH 2nd was 49.95 when it came out in 2005 (trust me on this, I've got my copy in 2006); later reprints had the price tag shift up (as it's expected of course). Just posting for the love of precision

I swear to the Dark Gods, you play everything !

On 2/10/2019 at 12:48 AM, Deathseed said:

I swear to the Dark Gods, you play everything !

:D :D :D

Yeah, kinda :D