Children of Tradition

By Coyote Walks, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

Genuinely impressed that I could feel sorry for Sotorii

3 minutes ago, Uramov said:

People were asking how Sotorii would eventually be shown as more that just an asshat and here we are. Based on the but we get from him, it really seems like his largest problem stems from being an heir. As a normal kid he might get the attention and hello he needed.

Awesome storytelling. Well done writer.

@DGLaderoute does an excellent job in making one feel sympathy for Hantei Sotorii, as only a proper writer can from within a character's perspective. Well done.

Sotorii is weak, and lonely, and angry. And given to rage. And not even his younger brother wants to play with him.

Remind you of anyone?

A relatable Sotorii. Bravo.

(Still shouldn't be Emperor.)

D.G. Laderoute and FFG have once again given us a great L5R short story.

I am genuinely impressed that we got to see both sides of the bother's conflict and that it was displayed so well.

Edited by Vulcan646

The bully is insecure beneath his bluster. Doesn't make him less of a bully, but does a good job making him human instead of a caricature.

As before, so it is again.

Quoting G5R (a podcast which is looking back at the really old AEG Lore) - "These people need some therapy".

#GetSotoriiSomeFriends

27 minutes ago, dbmeboy said:

The bully is insecure beneath his bluster. Doesn't make him less of a bully, but does a good job making him human instead of a caricature.

A bully with a voice whispering in his mind to shape his world view into the worst possible scenario. I really do think that the italicized text is supremely important. That's not Sotorii's thoughts. That's something else.

54 minutes ago, Uramov said:

Genuinely sorry that I couldn't.

The one constant in his situation is himself. Reminds me of Kaiser Wilhelm II.

Yeah Sotorii is still a bully and a very unpleasant person, but at least now we know the dude has feelings. Also maybe some legitimate gripes, but he definitely handles these situations in the worst way every time. Also that rage is unacceptable even by our standards let alone by the much more stoic Rokugani standards. Would he have killed Dairu and Daisetsu over a silly argument? Maybe. After this story we clearly see he has serious trouble controlling his emotions.

DGL killing it. This was alot of fun to read and almost a direct response to what people wanted following the last story. I'm very curious what part 3 will be about. DGL is doing the Crane book right? I wonder who it will be about.

Edited by phillos

Is the hyper link missing I cannot read the fiction....

The Emperor doubts he is right about everything except abdication and Sotorii.

Edit: Maybe just Sotorii.

Edited by Manchu
26 minutes ago, sndwurks said:

A bully with a voice whispering in his mind to shape his world view into the worst possible scenario. I really do think that the italicized text is supremely important. That's not Sotorii's thoughts. That's something else.

So those words might be those of a really powerful spirit of darkness?

2 minutes ago, Spawnod said:

Is the hyper link missing I cannot read the fiction....

It is easy to miss but the the link is the word "here" in the first line after A Bloody Challenge under the picture "can be downloaded here."

No one has said DGL is doing the Crane book/novella...or not doing it. I realize that's pretty wishy-washy, but FFG is pretty clear that we writers write what we're given to write, and then shut up about it until publication time. So, seriously, I can't say that I am or am not writing the Crane novella...I just don't want anyone to come away thinking for sure that I am.

And thanks for your kind words about "Children", glad you folks are enjoying the story (so far!)

Well that answers the question in that it's unconfirmed. For some reason I thought I remembered the author being announced somewhere, but I guess we haven't really gotten news about it yet other than it's next in line after Unicorn.

Edited by phillos
Just now, DGLaderoute said:

No one has said DGL is doing the Crane book/novella...or not doing it. I realize that's pretty wishy-washy, but FFG is pretty clear that we writers write what we're given to write, and then shut up about it until publication time. So, seriously, I can't say that I am or am not writing the Crane novella...I just don't want anyone to come away thinking for sure that I am.

And thanks for your kind words about "Children", glad you folks are enjoying the story (so far!)

I may be biased but I am personally hoping for you to write a Bayushi Shoju scorpion story.

Regardless, I am very exited to see part 3 of this story.

43 minutes ago, Ultimatecalibur said:

So those words might be those of a really powerful spirit of darkness?

From a sheer editorial viewpoint - The fact that some of Sotorii's internal monologue appears as italicized and others do not is important. In fact, we are given a sample of Sotorii's internal monologue first as non-italicized, then later as italicized. This does not happen in text by accident, especially text like this.

Examine what the italicized text says. Note how Sotorii pushes it away twice. He ARGUES with his own internal monologue. Notice the content of the italicized text, as well. When does it say anything GOOD?

DG Laderoute is a good writer. And while Sotorii might not have been the worst person in Rokugan, he was likely lonely and emotionally weak. And very vulnerable to a voice that speaks inside his own mind, with his own voice.

1 minute ago, sndwurks said:

From a sheer editorial viewpoint - The fact that some of Sotorii's internal monologue appears as italicized and others do not is important. In fact, we are given a sample of Sotorii's internal monologue first as non-italicized, then later as italicized. This does not happen in text by accident, especially text like this.

Examine what the italicized text says. Note how Sotorii pushes it away twice. He ARGUES with his own internal monologue. Notice the content of the italicized text, as well. When does it say anything GOOD?

DG Laderoute is a good writer. And while Sotorii might not have been the worst person in Rokugan, he was likely lonely and emotionally weak. And very vulnerable to a voice that speaks inside his own mind, with his own voice.

I fully understood that. The question was mostly rhetorical and more implying that the italic text was the voice of a kansen or possibly even Fu Leng.

Well, @DGLaderoute , you've done it now. You've actually made me feel sympathy for Sotorii. Damnit, I'm actuallt teary-eyed; won't somebody please just give the kid a hug?! :(

Now I'm torn between the two Heirs - well done. If this was the plan to get people on-board with Sotorii, you've definitively succeeded.

So... Sotorii's big deal is that he is doing a better Matsu Tsuko impersonation than Matsu Tsuko herself but he is also the Emperor's son.

But hey, you know what guys? I ship it! Tsutorii is the future, mark my words!

1 hour ago, DGLaderoute said:

*chef finger kiss*

Also love the hat-tip to Doji Satsume. If there was ever someone to give practical but still 'just Bushido enough' advise, it's him.

Shadowlands faction is going to arrive, led by none other than Fu Leng Reborn