Star Trek LCG?

By Eryx_UK, in Living Card Games

I mentioned it in a couple threads but it might get lost in the posts. Is there any chance of FFG grabbing this license, and I mean classic universe prime not the JJ Abhrams new alternate.

A Star Trek LCG could be cool. If it followed the Warhammer: Invasion model, the capital board could be the player's starship. The ships could have several zones that need to be managed.

JonHook said:

A Star Trek LCG could be cool. If it followed the Warhammer: Invasion model, the capital board could be the player's starship. The ships could have several zones that need to be managed.

That's an interesting idea. I had envisoned something more alike the CoC LCG with stories (episodes?) but I could see your idea as well.

JonHook said:

I like this idea a lot, but perhaps instead of having a dedicated battlefield zone, you have to send away teams to your opponents ship to cause internal damage while you also play cards that deal indirect damage to represent ship-to-ship combat.

see i liked it when decipher finally made a battle deck and then you got rewarded for attacking ships. though Ialso really liked the traveling ot planets, doing missions and incountering delimias/obstructions too. I'd very very very happy with a mix. If it goes solely one way or the other i'd rather they slap a different name on it :P

I'd rather it be about completing missions rather than ship to ship combat though that has it's role to play.

The_Big_Show said:

I'd rather it be about completing missions rather than ship to ship combat though that has it's role to play.

How about this then: Each player has an Engineering and Bridge section aboard his ship, and a Mission zone where he sends Away Teams to missions in an attempt to overcome them. A player wins either if he destroys the opposing Capital Ship (done by reducing both of a player's ship's sector's shields to 0, and damaging those sectors three times each while shields are down) or by completing a certain number of missions. Sectors of a ship can be repaired, and power can be diverted between the shields for each zone using card effects; and while a sector is destroyed various effects happen, for example while Engineering has three damage on it you can't play Movement cards to allow you to change missions etc. and while the bridge has three damage on it you can't use transporter effects.

Sectors can be damaged by capital ship to capital ship combat, by requesting aid from other ships, or beaming away teams aboard while shields are down.

Aside from winning the game, completing missions also have beneficial effects you can choose to activate on completing the mission, for example gaining a new crew member, new technology or an effect that causes problems for your opponent.

That's a rough outline, what do people think about this as a combination of both missions and ship combat?

Sounds good to me. I like that idea. Allows away missions and shipboard missions as well.

I guess it depends on the scale of the game.

If your playing the entire Federation, the game would need to be very different than if you are controlling a single ship.

Still, a simple Invasion-style "destroy the other guy" game feels all wrong for Star Trek.

SJBenoist said:

the other guy" game feels all wrong for Star Trek.

Which is why I think it should be mission based like Call of Cthulhu with it's stories. Something along those lines as the primary play style.

Story driven like CoC LCG would, in my opinion, be the best option. I can't see having straight ship to ship combat set in the Star Trek universe. Can it be done? Yes, of course; however, I think this would then be a short lived LCG. In fact, it might not be an LCG at all, but rather a board game.

cool.gif

Wonderfull i really like the last Decipher edition sigh....

I liked the Dicipher Star Trek CCG. I would think that FFG could streamline the rules and make it a living card game, it would work.

I would certainly buy it.

And seeing what a good job FFG did on the Warhammer and Warhammer 40k RPGs, I would certainly not mind them taking over the Star Trek RPG as well.

nhowell83 said:

Story driven like CoC LCG would, in my opinion, be the best option. I can't see having straight ship to ship combat set in the Star Trek universe. Can it be done? Yes, of course; however, I think this would then be a short lived LCG. In fact, it might not be an LCG at all, but rather a board game.

I think that's definitely the way to handle a Star Trek game. And I will just put in that I would pounce all over a Star Trek LCG, just in case the people who buy into licenses here are reading all this.

I've been seeing a lot of talk lately about "buying up" rights to older games and republishing (or revamping) them as LCGs. Is this a common practice? As far as I know, the only card games to successfully transfer from one company to another with their mechanics intact have been Pokemon and Yugioh, and they both transferred to their parent companies from game developers (in other words, the people who held the rights to begin with and decided simply to continue the game "as is.") I've never heard of a game's design transferring to another company with the rights to an IP.

Is this even possible? Does FFG (or any other company, for that matter) have the ability to legally acquire the game design from another company (many of them now bankrupt and closed)?

If so, that'd be awesome, and could bring back a lot of old favorites for fanbases that are still very active. Does anyone know whether or not this is a plausibility? I would personally love to see several old games as LCGs.

It's not a common practice to re-release old games as an LCG yet but then so far there's only 3 LCG games in existence with only a 4th about to become available. These threads are really people wishlisting on what they'd like as an LCG and other people chipping in with 'I loved the old version, do that'. As to the possibility of buying those games in the format they were in... depends who holds the licence and what their price is. Someone will hold it... somewhere. Need to track them down though and get their permission.

I guess it just doesn't sound like a particularly wise business strategy. Even if people really liked the old game, and might still buy it, there would probably always be the stigma that it's "not your game." The comparisons to how Company A did it compared to how you are doing it would be inevitable and might not be favorable. Plus, you'd probably have a bunch of griefers complaining about why they aren't allowed to use their old cards in tournaments or whatever.

...or maybe not. I guess we won't know until someone (FFG or another company) tries to do it.

Doesn't have to be a buy up and a re-release. Buying the license and making a brand new LCG is probably the way to go.

These are all very good ideas and would definatly buy a star trek lcg.

It just takes a somebody to take a chance and try to make a working model.

If they can make a Star Wars lcg then going To Star trek shouldn't be to hard. Who knows maybe they take a few aspects from the Star wars game.

I would love this so much. I'm more of a Star Wars appreciator, but my fiancee loves Star Trek and I know she would pick this up with me.

I also agree that it should be primarily about completing missions. For one thing, the generic "I attack, you defend" mechanic is getting really old for me, keeping in mind that it dates back to the very first CCG. For another, Star Trek is about exploring strange new worlds, seeking out new life and new civilizations, and so forth. Not about blowing up some other guy's ship. Besides, it's inevitable that many players would wish to build their crew around either Kirk or Picard, and so a PvP-centric game would result in a lot of bloodshed among the Federation.

However, PvP does indeed have its place in the Star Trek mythos, such as if fans were allowed the option of playing as the Borg. Perhaps some factions/captains/whatnot would favor PvP-style gameplay, whereas others would favor missions and still others would be equally competent in either. PvP should not, however, be the primary focus of the game as a whole.

I'd also like to add that this would be a great opportunity for FFG to add another multiplayer LCG to their library, something that a lot of fans have been clamoring for, both inside and outside of the A Game of Thrones playerbase.

The problem is that Bandai is currently producing a Star Trek Deck Building Game, so I'm guessing they have the rights to ST.

ImmortalJedi said:

The problem is that Bandai is currently producing a Star Trek Deck Building Game, so I'm guessing they have the rights to ST.

Well, Wiz-Kids has their Clix-based Star Trek: Fleet Captains , which also utilizes cards…though it also utilizes a "board" in the form of the hex tiles, so perhaps it falls under the umbrella of Board Games.

MarthWMaster said:

Well, Wiz-Kids has their Clix-based Star Trek: Fleet Captains , which also utilizes cards…though it also utilizes a "board" in the form of the hex tiles, so perhaps it falls under the umbrella of Board Games.

I totally forgot about that game, so there could be a possibility…

They could do this 1 of 2 ways.

First is remake star trek 2ed, not bad it was a great game.

2nd and my fav is make it a coop game like LotRs and you play vs a dilemma deck.

WizKids, Bandai and Mayfair all have Star Trek games currently in production, and those are just the companies I saw before BGG decided to not respond anymore. WizKids even have several different games, not just a massive number of expansions/variants for one. An LCG variant could happen, depending on licensing negotiations and willingness.

I'm not a trekkie, and I like the ideas posted here. There are many ways it could be made and be enjoyable, and if FFG continue their experimentations the next game would be another hybrid of different earlier LCGs. How about asymmetric gameplay with Federation vs. Dominion players? One side is running missions and have that whole card type, the other side is trying to ruin them, occasionally dropping secret agendas or something to further their goals. Take a bit of Star Wars, a bit of Invasion, a bit of Netrunner and perhaps even a bit of Conquest. Mix in a bowl and nuke at 100 megatons.

Simply remaking an earlier game is a lazy option, but great if that earlier game is also a good one.