Countermeasures to Solo's Return Fire

By topacesteve, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

So... to summarize...the main "antidotes" to Solo's Return Fire are :

Hit and Run, Vader's Finest , Fly-By (from Ejets) , Opportunistic and On the Lam??

Are the "lesser" ones:
- Non-reciprocal line of sight.
- Han already using it during this round.
- Han being Stunned.

0-0-0 would seem a nice candidate for it then...

19 hours ago, topacesteve said:

So... to summarize...the main "antidotes" to Solo's Return Fire are :

Hit and Run, Vader's Finest , Fly-By (from Ejets) , Opportunistic and On the Lam??

Fly-by, Opportunistic and On the Lam don't usually work (assuming that the figure attacking Han is doing so on their own activation). For all of those you gain movement points immediately but you can't actually spend them until after Han's return fire was resolved.

(For reference, the rule is you only spend movement points immediately if 1) you gain them when it's not your activation, or 2) you gain them as part of a special action with the little arrow symbol, like on the urgency command card).

Now Hit and Run and Vader's Finest are both special actions. I'm pretty sure that Hit and Run would work - both Hit and Run and Return Fire happen "after the attack resolves", and since attacker abilities happen first you would gain the MP (and spend them) before return fire happens. Vader's Finest I'm less sure about: "Perform an attack, then gain 2 movement points". My gut says that the whole attack, including after attack stuff like Return Fire, would be finished before the "then gain 2 movement points" happened, so I think Han would still shoot back, but I'd have to defer to the referee ( @a1bert )to be sure.

All told though, the best way to shoot Han is to do it in a way that he doesn't have line of sight back to you. Try to make a little "corner" with your other figures (or a figure and a wall) so that you can shoot out but the other figure blocks Han from shooting back.

Hit and Run gives the movement points "after attack resolves", and is an attacker ability, so they are gained before Return Fire.

(If Hit and Run were worded "Perform an attack. Then, gain 3mp." the after-the-attack-resolves abilities would be resolved first. This would also make it clearer that the mps are gained "as part of a special action" and not indirectly from the attack performed.)

On the Lam, Fly By, and Opportunistic would not work if Han is shooting back at a figure that is currently activating. Hit and Run and Vader's finest will work because they are movement points gained from a special action and must be spent immediately.

A better strategy is to just use positioning against him and attack him from spots where he can't see you. I made a whole video on this concept on my channel: https://youtu.be/BvapMaFi3ZI

Edited by Tvboy

I guess I could also rattle off some other cards that counter Han's ability without just outpositioning him.

Marksman
In the Shadows
Arcing Shot
Set for Stun
Roar
Hide in Plain Sight
Vanish
Brace Yourself (the 0 point card)

Opportunistic does work if you have another figure to move in the way. You shoot han, play opportunistic and move figure 2 in the way and block line of sight. Then han has no line of sight to target so can’t return fire. As it’s out of activation the figure gets to interrupt and spend the movement.

Opportunistic_275_thumb_ffflogog_whaterm

Yes, if your army has a mercenary figure that can do it.

What about In the Shadows and Han's final attack AT THE END OF THE ROUND?

In the Shadows text reads : Until the End of the Round,

Does that mean Solo can attack me at the end of the round OR NOT???

You're not even trying.

In%20the%20Shadows_275_thumb_ffflogog_wh

FAQ3.0

Q: When an ability's effect lasts "until" a certain timing
window (e.g. "Until the end of the round..."), does that effect
persist through that timing window?

A: No. These abilities' effects end immediately as the specified
timing window begins, before any other effects in that timing
window are triggered. So, in the given example, the effect that
persists "until the end of the round" would expire before any other
"end of round" effects are triggered.

Edited by a1bert
49 minutes ago, a1bert said:

You're not even trying.

In%20the%20Shadows_275_thumb_ffflogog_wh

FAQ3.0

Q: When an ability's effect lasts "until" a certain timing
window (e.g. "Until the end of the round..."), does that effect
persist through that timing window?

A: No. These abilities' effects end immediately as the specified
timing window begins, before any other effects in that timing
window are triggered. So, in the given example, the effect that
persists "until the end of the round" would expire before any other
"end of round" effects are triggered.

Thanks for the reply !!! i missed it in the FAQ...darn that solos final attack !!!

Just to post Todd's reply.

Rules Question:
Hello, I play the Hit and Run command card to attack Han Solo. After the attack resolves, do I get to use the 3 movement points (to get out of Han's LOS) before Han's Return Fire ability is triggered? What if I attack Han using the special action on the Vader's Finest skirmish upgrade card?

Hit and Run’s second effect (the movement points) and Han’s Return Fire use the same timing, so the attacker’s effect takes precedence. Since the movement points are gained as part of a special action, you spend them as an interrupt, meaning the attacker can run out of the way before Han can Return Fire.

Vader’s Finest is a little different. “Then, gain 2 movement points” would happen after the attack resolves and all triggered effects, including Return Fire, have also resolved. Vader’s Finest movement points cannot be used before Han Returns Fire.

Thanks for the questions. This is an interesting consequence of minor word variations I hadn’t noticed before!

--

Todd Michlitsch
Game Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

[email protected]