Break this command card #2: Field tactician

By Ram, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

After the thundering success of the first one ( ;) ), lets have a more interesting challenge. How would you "break" Field tactician?

What pieces would you use, what other command cards makes it shine? Perhaps consider how to build a band and command deck "around" the card, not just having it as a tool in the box so to speak? Or heck, rules are for pansies. Just roll away!

I think it’s just a tool in the box. Yeah it’s pretty useful, any out of faze movement is. But for the cost, it’s a more expensive, less useful opportunistic that takes an action (rather than needing damage to occur and be mercenary).

Ok, but not good.

To break it perhaps use the combo of new orders, to the limit, then field tactician. A lowly officer can give vader 1 1/2 moves essentially.

1 hour ago, Cyklop_Storm said:

To break it perhaps use the combo of new orders, to the limit, then field tactician. A lowly officer can give vader 1 1/2 moves essentially.

The lowly officer doesn’t need field tactician to do that that. He can do that with his normal order and to the limit.

I considered this card during the early days of Spectre Cell list building. Combining this with SC to have 1 of the jedi move 6 spaces and attack seemed cool.

Obviously, it's great with Palpatine, to reposition another figure for the emperor attack.

basically, just think of anything that can trigger by movement. Using this to move up a Rancor, who could use Crush, and then Parting Blow out of activation would be a pretty solid use

I have used it with Hondo and IG for great result actually. The range of the nasty droid becommes huge and the chance to trigger assault on initial shots increase a lot. I actually think it is a somewhat underrated card.

18 hours ago, Tvboy said:

I considered this card during the early days of Spectre Cell list building. Combining this with SC to have 1 of the jedi move 6 spaces and attack seemed cool.

This card with Specter Cell, Strength In Numbers and Pummel is fun. Imagine something like:

1. Hera use Field Tactician and let a Ezra/Kannan (let's imagine Ezra) get closer to a target.
  2. Then she attacks the target.
  3. Specter Cell so that Ezra move 2 and can attack the target.
  4. Then Strength In Numbers so that Ezra activates.
  5. Ezra can Pummel the target.

Situational but it's funny to Pummel at 6 distance and have 4 attacks potentially on the same target.

This card was actually the first "killer combo" that I ever played long ago. I used it with a rOfficer and Royal guard champion on Training grounds. High act squad where the others shot the door open and then officer pushed and Field tacticianed the RGC right in the center of the opposing group at end of turn after they out activated and then with any luck a Flurry of blades to to do even more damage next round. I have actually used it in similar ways for suprise Grenadier drops in the early days as well.

Edited by Ram
On 1/22/2019 at 3:43 PM, ffmonkey said:

The lowly officer doesn’t need field tactician to do that that. He can do that with his normal order and to the limit.

...if he uses single purpose you mean.....

8 hours ago, topacesteve said:

...if he uses single purpose you mean.....

Of course, I often get them mixed up, I knew what I meant anyway :)