New App Campaign: Hoth now available

By Isnigu, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Update your Legends of the Alliance app and you will have the new Hoth Campaign as an option.

Yep!!!

app-hoth.jpg

Cheers. anyone know of a cheapish type Tablet device that can run legends of the alliance. I just want to use the tablet only for Imperial assault. any recommendations

The App runs very well on my 7 inch Samsung SM-T280, which I guess you can find for less than 100$US these days.

Probably can find something even cheaper, but Samsung stuff is usually very reliable and have nice bright colors.

(end of the Samsung commercial..)

2 hours ago, Spidey NZ said:

Cheers. anyone know of a cheapish type Tablet device that can run legends of the alliance. I just want to use the tablet only for Imperial assault. any recommendations

It is on steam if you have a laptop or pc near to where you play. Or a phone obviously.

2 hours ago, Spidey NZ said:

I picked up a cheap amazon fire7 last year , works fine on there

I'm guessing there will be a front page announcement tomorrow?

I'd love to get in on some Hoth action, guess I better get it while I can!

Edited by TheSpitfired
It's not completely out of stock everywhere

Ya I'm really hoping they give us an article to draw attention to the app and New players.

2 hours ago, ffmonkey said:

It is on steam if you have a laptop or pc near to where you play. Or a phone obviously.

phone it is a bit too small for me and friends. i just want to put a cheap tablet in my storage with the rest of my IA gear.

Earlier today I just ordered the core game, and couple random Ally packs for the heck of it. I wanted Hoth but I'm buying mostly for the app and Jabba had a campaign so that was going to be ordered this Friday.. Guess I get to order Hoth first afterall. ...Not like I wont buy every bit of the game by spring anyways :/

1 hour ago, Spidey NZ said:

phone it is a bit too small for me and friends. i just want to put a cheap tablet in my storage with the rest of my IA gear.

I run mine on an old iPad2. Works great.

I remember when the Descent app came out and I had gotten some Descent stuff and then I heard a very small rumor that Imperial Assault was also getting an app so I grabbed a core set. I've really come to appreciate the game even if it doesn't hit the table as much as I'd like.

As I alluded earlier, getting Return to Hoth might be the perfect justification to bust it back out more. :)

Yay! An app expansion that I can play! Keeping it cooking, Fantasy Flight!

@FrogTrigger Consensus around my place of work is that they are quietly phasing out IA in favor of Legion. We all fear Lothal was the last pack were gonna get & once the app is fully updated to all the campaigns that's basically going to be it. At this point we think the IA app is more or less a "live beta test" of something else they have comming down the works and they want it perfected before the roll it out there.

They did similar stuff with X-wing components. (Mobile / Bullseye arcs)

I don't doubt eventually we will see an IA 2.0 or some new kind of version of the game, but right now they still have existing content to finish off. Games slow down, its part of FFG's cycle.

We will see Endor and Yoda before this game is done. Once that is announced, then I think the end is nigh.

My prediction is they are drawing out the physical content because 1) the app takes resources and 2) they want the OP to last a bit longer, so spacing out the expansion releases will allow that.

Some really interesting missions.

I particularly like the

Desert Storm one. Reminds me of the AT-AT mission in Tyrants. These mini-map things are a great way to vary mission styles.

Is Legion lighting the world on fire? I’m way out of the my local scene and never played skirmish but I do occasionally stop by my local shop. Legion certainly isn’t flying off the shelf in my very limited anecdotal experience.

I feel like Legion is going to blow up in FFG’s face. The war game mini space is so crowded. You can’t just slap a new skin on the genre and expect it to compete. They’ve spent a ton of money designing it, but it just doesn’t have the “Star Wars” feel. They can push Legion as much as they want, but that doesn’t mean consumers have to buy it.

7 hours ago, av8ernate said:

@FrogTrigger Consensus around my place of work is that they are quietly phasing out IA in favor of Legion. We all fear Lothal was the last pack were gonna get & once the app is fully updated to all the campaigns that's basically going to be it. At this point we think the IA app is more or less a "live beta test" of something else they have comming down the works and they want it perfected before the roll it out there.

10 hours ago, av8ernate said:

I'm pretty sure we'll get and Endor/Kashyyyk pack. That's wishful thinking on my part, but I hope. Otherwise, I'm happy for new campaigns on the app. I have been buying some of the Legion miniatures for IA, because Legion is a mess.

2 hours ago, bdgolish said:

Yo  u  can’t just slap a new skin on the genre and expect it to compete.

If the skin is a major IP then it can be done. But of course, “the bigger they are...”

10 hours ago, av8ernate said:

At this point we think the IA app is more or less a "live beta  test  " of something else they have comming down t  he works and they want it perfected before the roll it  o  ut th  er  e   . 

If that’s the case it may have already been announced - https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/1/13/the-lord-of-the-rings-journeys-in-middle-earth/

I think it may be better to view it as one step in FFG’s push into app based board gaming. Descent and MoM 2.0 being earlier iterations and LotR being the next step.

I know it's only been live for a few days now, but I'm curious to hear players initial impressions of it. I have been itching of playing the app again!

I played the first mission last night. I got stomped pretty bad. Maybe shouldn't have jumped right to Hard. I like to mashup heroes I don't usually use for app play so that worked against me a bit as well. I love the Hoth setting, very happy to revisit it. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

The reworked activation instructions for select groups was interesting. I encountered Snowtrooper, Imperial Officer, and Probe Droid groups and the revisions do seem to make sense, the Officer was the most notable. I assume these revisions would be part of any of the campaigns now too. Adds some variety to further playthroughs. A minor glitch was an Officer "group" that had the Squad Training bonus.

No strange deployments as of yet i.e. a Bantha in the snow but could still crop up.

The first RtH mission is a little swingy depending on the heroes you have because they are with their starting weapons and no class cards.

21 minutes ago, MFL said:

A minor glitch was an Officer "group" that had the Squad Training bonus.

You should probably report it in the bugs thread (with as many details as you can).

Legion had an initial surge in my area based on the IP, but what is referred to as "weak, imitation" wargaming was not able to hold the interest of my cities faithful Warhammer crew.

Now this combined with FFGs recent abandonment of Rune Wars definitely has New and existing players weary.

IA has had 4 great years of play under its belt, pretty hard to argue with that. The app is a great way to extend the life of the existing game. I'm ok with them just recreating the old campaign stories in app form because i would want to play each campaign multiple times anyway but this way I get to play with my friends, and with different missions.

Its really the best of both worlds.

Odd this hasnt been shown on the news page yet.

I find that quite strange.

Very odd nothing has been put up yet. They should at least have something up to say that it has been released. I'm sure that not everyone interested in the game follows the twitter account or facebook page.