For those wondering about the sold out playermats

By andrew.yearsley, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

image.png.6569a0506c83b55f49cc60eadc1851db.png

... and this alone is a REALLY GOOD motivation not to buy the game!!!

The sense of entitlement is strong here and with the alt sculpt for Darth Vader. Seems like FFG products attracts that feeling for some reason.

There was absolutely nothing special about those mats.

4 hours ago, TurboCooler said:

The sense of entitlement is strong here and with the alt sculpt for Darth Vader. Seems like FFG products attracts that feeling for some reason.

There was absolutely nothing special about those mats.

Oh right... How dare someone want to purchase an accessory for a board game they're interested in. The nerve.

1 hour ago, andrew.yearsley said:

Oh right... How dare someone want to purchase an accessory for a board game they're interested in. The nerve.

It is a mat like any other mat. It is a type of accessory that can be found just about any place or you can make your own. Even amazon has a seller that will allow you to use your own image. It is not game changing or altering in any way. The magical glyphs on the FFG mat do not imbue you with any special gaming powers.

Most likely you can find much better looking Mats elsewhere! I have Gaming mat for arkham horror Lcg that is from boardgamegeek forums that looks much better than any Ffg made mat and is allso cheaper... hmmm... how strange,

so you can get much better Mats than these when the game is released or even before that.

Ultimately it has zero impact on whether I will decide to buy this game or not, I'm waiting to find out more about game play.

That being said I do wish they hadn't done a limited exclusive like that, or like the other exclusives I'm starting to see pop up for their games (Vader for Legion, Droid Fighter for X-Wing). This is a slope that makes me uneasy. I know another company that shall remain nameless that did similar things and it really put me off to anything they made. Well that and horrible untested pro--never mind that's a rant for a different thread. ;)

At any rate like Hannibal said if the game is good I'm sure it won't be difficult to find someone that does custom work to enhance the game.

And let's be honest - LOTR enthusiast looking at a themed game with Companion App/Runebound/Discover/Other FFG game mechanics fused into one experience, it's going to be hard for the remaining mechanics to hurt the sales pitch!

8 hours ago, TheSpitfired said:

I know another company that shall remain nameless that did similar things and it really put me off to anything they made.

I turned my back on several companies that did this as well. It is really off-putting to feel like the product you're buying is incomplete unless you're buying each little accessory for a horrendous price. Though, the unavailability of this game mat isn't something that bothers me since it doesn't contribute anything to the game itself.

**** THIS ****! since when does FFG do preorder exclusives?

2 hours ago, Berg_Katze said:

Are you sure you're not just being a hypersensitive crybaby? Plenty of companies have worse services but many people had to suck it up because the majority of the consumers didn't care so the minority voices get ignored.

Heh. I suggest you read through my whole timeline of every post i have ever made (If you haven't done already). You will probably find more opportunities to call me than :)

OT: I dont think any customer has to suck anything up since nobody is forced to buy a product. It's your own fault when you're still investing into a business model you don't agree with. And other companies having worse services is no excuse at all. Random CEO : "We know we are charging twice the amount of the base game for extra content. but look at xyz. They're charging triple!"

4 hours ago, Raahk said:

OT: I dont think any customer has to suck anything up since nobody is forced to buy a product. It's your own fault when you're still investing into a business model you don't agree with. And other companies having worse services is no excuse at all. Random CEO : "We know we are charging twice the amount of the base game for extra content. but look at xyz. They're charging triple!"

Hear hear!