Runewars At Gencon - Community Event

By tgall, in Runewars Miniatures Game

Hi Everyone!

As a community you've seen some of the efforts involving tournament docs etc. It's great to see folks coming together for this game. Towards that end, it's time to organize a Runewars Gencon tournament. The purpose of this email is to find out the following:

1) How many rounds should it be. (I would advocate 4)

2) Would you attend?

3) Are you willing to help plan? (You don't have to be attending to help plan or be part of making the event great)

Thanks!

1) 4 Swiss

2) Well yea, I mean we're hosting

3) See 2.

Seriously everyone, we have some fantastic ideas to bring Runewars back to the best 4 days in gaming and we want to make this a grass roots effort!

Tune in to the next Runecasters Episode for more!

But meanwhile, let Tom know what's up!

I can't make it, but will help out if I can.

Any ideas for prizes?

How about 3D terrain as a prize? We could put together some well built 3D terrain for the tables, and let players take a piece home.

I know San Antonio most likely won't be in attendance. The added cost of Gencon itself combined with higher flight and hotel rates just makes it not a possibility.

7 minutes ago, rebellightworks said:

I know San Antonio most likely won't be in attendance. The added cost of Gencon itself combined with higher flight and hotel rates just makes it not a possibility.

I'm feeling that, too, but I'm going to see if I can make it happen. No promises from me, but I'm hopeful.

1 hour ago, Darth Matthew said:

Any ideas for prizes?

How about 3D terrain as a prize? We could put together some well built 3D terrain for the tables, and let players take a piece home.

Excellent idea! I was thinking of maybe just rocks and spikes because it seems like everybody uses them. Were you thinking of non-standard terrain, i.e. not included in any of the expansions?

3 hours ago, Darth Matthew said:

Fantastic idea. We’ve kicked that idea around good to know people are into it. I’ve also priced trophies and I’m going to price acrylic tokens and templates this weekend.

I'd love to but don't really know if attending GenCon is going to be a possibility.

Greg at rebel light works is working on some kits to replace ffg op as well, I'm sure he could help!

4 rounds should be fine. unfortunately i cannot afford the trip to gen con but i would help as much as possible.

I'll be there if real life lets me, though I'm not going to give that good odds. And I don't have enough experience with organized play to assist.

2 hours ago, Xelto said:

I'll be there if real life lets me, though I'm not going to give that good odds. And I don't have enough experience with organized play to assist.

That’s ok.

If you have any ideas or suggestions right now is the time to chime in and let us know.

We want this to feel very community based, so please feel free to comment!

14 hours ago, rebellightworks said:

This always surprises me when people say this. If you stay in the hotels next to Gencon sure, but if you don't prices are more than reasonable.

I will be there and would be happy to lend a hand organizing, administering, judging, and/or playing (!) in the event. I think 4 rounds would be the limit of endurance for most folks without taking the whole day.

For folks who are concerned about costs, I can say that the hotels outside of the downtown area are very reasonable compared to those downtown. I finally got bumped from the downtown area with the lottery they implemented a couple of years ago and was able to make things work quite well while saving a few hundered dollars.

I would also point out to my fellow members here that if we want the game to continue outside of our select group, we need to find a way to increase it’s visibility. I’m certainly open to ideas and willing to help, but if I compare what FFG did with Runewars to what CMON has done with Song of Fire & Ice at Adepticon, it’s not even close. They’re having all sorts of demo’s, full playthroughs, paint and take’s, etc.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:08 PM, Parakitor said:

I'm feeling that, too, but I'm going to see if I can make it happen. No promises from me, but I'm hopeful.

Excellent idea! I was thinking of maybe just rocks and spikes because it seems like everybody uses them. Were you thinking of non-standard terrain, i.e. not included in any of the expansions?

Rocks and spikes are easy, and... dull.

I wasn't thinking non-standard, something from an expansion. Maybe 2 pieces, 1 latari and 1 uthuk?

I'm still undecided on attending GenCon this year, though I'd certainly like it. If I do go, I have to be honest and say Runewars is not a priority. I'd attend if the scheduling works out.

From basically the day after Worlds, all the wind has gone out of my sails for Runewars. But maybe things will be different 8 months from now.

On 1/19/2019 at 10:15 AM, tgall said:

This always surprises me when people say this. If you stay in the hotels next to Gencon sure, but if you don't prices are more than reasonable.

Exchange cheaper hotel fees for Uber/Lyft fees and it's about the same I've found out.

For those who would drive to Indianapolis for Gencon and are looking to save, head south on I65 to around Greenwood or Whiteland. There would be fair priced hotels there and the drive isn’t absurd (15-20 min). Though this probably helps about 2 people.

Edited by Church14

I already attend GenCon annually, so I'm almost certainly in. As had been mentioned, hotel costs can be mitigated reasonably. Plus, there's a whole weekend of gaming on hand to fit every taste of Rune Wars isn't your only outlet, which mitigated the travel and badge costs...

That said, any event isn't going to work for everybody in the community, and we get that. I'd love to participate in a Rune Wars event at GenCon to give the community efforts some visibility and cater to those of us who find the broader event makes the travel worthwhile.

Meanwhile, I'll still be keeping my ear to the ground for big events elsewhere, too!

Edited by kaffis