Leo Anderson in final battle with Narly

By Krysmo, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

Hey there, I'm playing my fave Leo Anderson at the moment and the AO is Narly. We're also using Personal Stories. So you might get my question (hoping it wasn't answered somewhere before, but I'm sure it was).

In Final Battle, Narly requires a descending Lore roll success, or the Investigator will lose a Clue token. If the Investigator is out of Clue tokens, s/he is Devoured.

But Leo's PS pass means that 1x/turn, he can exhaust an Ally as a Clue token. So let's say that Leo has 1 Clue token and has passed his PS with the minimum 3 Allies.

Each turn when Narly attacks, Leo exhausts an Ally, leaving him with one Clue token left so he's not Devoured. We go to Upkeep of the next round, and the Ally refreshes. Leo exhausts an Ally again, leaving him with one Clue token, no Devour. Turn 3 same thing, and so on.

Is this the way it technically works? If so Leo is invincible, which I know must be a mistake by the system or my misinterpretation.

I'm guessing one of three things would have to happen, as houserules or otherwise:

1) Leo can't refresh Allies - but if that's the case, can he exhaust every Ally he has, in turn, as Clue tokens? Using example above that's effectively 3 extra Clue tokens.

2) Leo discards Allies as Clue tokens.

3) Leo can use the ability once but that's it - so effectively +1 Clue token for entire Final Battle.

Anyone know ruling, old or new? Thanks!

On 1/18/2019 at 8:02 PM, Krysmo said:

Hey there, I'm playing my fave Leo Anderson at the moment and the AO is Narly. We're also using Personal Stories. So you might get my question (hoping it wasn't answered somewhere before, but I'm sure it was).

In Final Battle, Narly requires a descending Lore roll success, or the Investigator will lose a Clue token. If the Investigator is out of Clue tokens, s/he is Devoured.

But Leo's PS pass means that 1x/turn, he can exhaust an Ally as a Clue token.

(...)

I'm guessing one of three things would have to happen, as houserules or otherwise:

1) Leo can't refresh Allies - but if that's the case, can he exhaust every Ally he has, in turn, as Clue tokens? Â Using example above that's effectively 3 extra Clue tokens.

2) Leo discards Allies as Clue tokens.

3) Leo can use the ability once but that's it - so effectively +1 Clue token for entire Final Battle.

Anyone know ruling, old or new? Thanks!

Nyarlathotep said:

Each investigator must pass a Lore (+1) check or lose 1 Clue token .

Get to Work said:

Once per turn, Leo may exhaust one of his Allies instead of spend ing a Clue token .

As far as I know losing isn't the same as spending, so Leo won't be able to utilize "Get to Work" against Nyarlathotep.

good points Tsuma thanks...it looks like we're going to Final Battle so I might make the case anyway!