Can a utility be added to the app that will handle housekeeping for non-app campaigns?

By Memkid9, in Legends of the Alliance

To the team that created the app, let me just say, it’s the entire reason I bought the core game and three expansions. I’ve played the app-based campaigns and now I’m playing solo campaigns from the book. The problem is, I’m spoiled now.

So here’s what I’m asking for.... something that will take all the housekeeping and donkey-work out of the Rebel And Imperial upgrade stages. It would be nice if I didn’t have to manage a bunch of decks when it’s time to shop for weapons, agenda cards, and stuff like that. It would be awesome to have the side-mission deck managed as well. All this stuff happens for the app-based campaigns, and it is an absolute delight how expansions are seamlessly integrated. Can we have something like this for those of us doing a traditional campaign? I’m not sure how to incentivize you, since you already have my money, and I’ll probably give you more even if all I get from this post is the sound of crickets.

Hook me up. I don’t have a huge table to sprawl all my decks out on. I have limited time and space for all the set-up.

16 hours ago, Memkid9 said:

To the team that created the app, let me just say, it’s the entire reason I bought the core game and three expansions. I’ve played the app-based campaigns and now I’m playing solo campaigns from the book. The problem is, I’m spoiled now.

So here’s what I’m asking for.... something that will take all the housekeeping and donkey-work out of the Rebel And Imperial upgrade stages. It would be nice if I didn’t have to manage a bunch of decks when it’s time to shop for weapons, agenda cards, and stuff like that. It would be awesome to have the side-mission deck managed as well. All this stuff happens for the app-based campaigns, and it is an absolute delight how expansions are seamlessly integrated. Can we have something like this for those of us doing a traditional campaign? I’m not sure how to incentivize you, since you already have my money, and I’ll probably give you more even if all I get from this post is the sound of crickets.

Hook me up. I don’t have a huge table to sprawl all my decks out on. I have limited time and space for all the set-up.

This will likely never happen... Though it would be great if it did. But in the meantime, you might want to check out http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault

This let's you manage cards and stuff in an app, and even let's you manage the board and figures. I sometimes use it as a companion to the physical game to manage the cards.

Thank you for the reply, neosmagus. Will I need to get out my laptop computer to use Vassal, or is there some way to do this with my tablet?

have you tried any apps on the app store, or the google sheets campaign log. some can keep track of campaign and hero elements.

Edited by Spidey NZ
8 hours ago, Memkid9 said:

Thank you for the reply, neosmagus. Will I need to get out my laptop computer to use Vassal, or is there some way to do this with my tablet?

I think you would need to use the laptop.

6 hours ago, Spidey NZ said:

have you tried any apps on the app store, or the google sheets campaign log. some can keep track of campaign and hero elements.

OP was asking for something to manage the decks. @Tvboy 's spreadsheet is an awesome campaign tracker, but it doesn't manage the decks for you. I would suggest using this anyway, regardless of using Vassal or not. I haven't seen any apps on the Google store yet that comes close to what OP was asking for.

If the tablet runs Java, Vassal should run with it. I tried to run Vassal on my Nokia N900, and it went as far as trying to load the campaign module. Then, I assume it runs out of memory. Maybe (more modern) tablets have more memory and a faster processor and could load the module (it's pretty huge currently, if you don't have all the expansions you might be able to do with an older version).

This is a little sad. I would think the coding already mostly exists already, and the thing I’m proposing wouldn’t take that much effort. FFG should see it as in their own best interests to lower the effort threshold for playing their games. After all, the faster someone gets through a campaign, the faster they will seek out a new expansion. Despite this, I love the game and will continue loving it.

1 hour ago, Memkid9 said:

This is a little sad. I would think the coding already mostly exists already, and the thing I’m proposing wouldn’t take that much effort. FFG should see it as in their own best interests to lower the effort threshold for playing their games. After all, the faster someone gets through a campaign, the faster they will seek out a new expansion. Despite this, I love the game and will continue loving it.

bear in mind that the app does not handle things like Imperial class cards, or Agenda cards, reward cards, bounty tokens, or even the one or two supply cards you keep between missions. There would actually be very little shared coding between deck management, campaign tracking, or what the app does.

lol I suppose this is what happens when the heart wants what it wants. 😞

3 hours ago, Memkid9 said:

lol I suppose this is what happens when the heart wants what it wants. 😞

I guess you can make it yourself.

Edited by Spidey NZ

I’m pretty useless with computers, so it wouldn’t work for me to make it. However, if someone else made an app like that, I’d gladly pay $10 in the apple store to download it onto my iPad.