Enfid's Miniature Collection for Terrinoth

By Enfid, in Realms of Terrinoth

Hi all.

During the 2018 holiday period, I have been collecting and painting Descent miniatures (and others) so I can hopefully use them in Realm of Terrinoth Roleplaying. It's been slower than I had hoped (what with having a 1-year old to take care of and all), but hey, progress is progress.

I can't promise that this will be ongoing but I will try to get as much done as I could before January ends. I just want to share some of my work. I know it's not the best painting, but I like how they look from an arm's length away.

For this first set I had worked on what I called the "random encounter box", or the Oath of the Outcast Hero and Monster Collection. Razorwings had been described as being a common sight in the skies (and I guess it depends whether they are hungry enough to attack travelers or not) and Bane Spiders seem to inhabit caves and parts of Bilehall, and finally the Beastmen seem to roam Menerra in general but occurring most often in the Broken Plains. I have been painting monsters then heroes alternatively, so that's how I will present them. So far I have finished the Razorwings, Trenloe, Bane Spiders and Laurel.

Razorwings

Razorwings_zpsbxpz9tcp.jpg

Trenloe the Strong

Trenloe%20Front_zpscjgeyixl.jpg

Trenloe%20Side_zps4w5rgqtz.jpg

Bane Spiders

Bane%20Spiders_zpsgcpkcc1s.jpg

Laurel of Bloodwood

Laurel%20Front_zpsvuil7dek.jpg

Laurel%20Back_zpsui7vkibd.jpg

Here's some diorama shots for fun.

Laurel%20Woods_zpsux0d86aq.jpg

Trenloe and Laurel attacked by opportunistic Razorwings. Trenloe brace for impact, while Laurel deftly dodged a slavering Razorwing.

Diorama%20Razorwings%20Photoshop_zpsi5pl

In the crumbling ruins of Bilehall, the undeads are not the only thing you should be worried about. Chitterings echo down the ruins as yellow eyes glow in the darkness.

Diorama%20Bane%20Spiders%20Photoshop_zps

Up next are the Beastmen!

I also plan to have a little solo game with them to test out the monsters. So far I have the impression that Razorwings are meant to be really annoying to fight against, while Bane Spiders are quite deadly-tier Rivals.

Thanks for sharing! Your minis look great. Can't wait to see more! 😍

It's a shame there's not a Terrinoth forum to share things that overlap different games!

One thing to note about the Bane spiders.

I believe the intention of BURN is that it includes any passive effects of the original hit. So with Bane Spiders, the burn trait on their acid spit and venom is intended to include Pierce. However, at some point one of the designers answered a SWRPG question in an email stating that traits like Breach (and presumably Pierce) do not apply to burn, which makes the Bane Spider as written pretty lame (even basic stats or armor are enough to completely cancel the burn value).

I would recommend either having BURN include the Pierce trait, or house-ruling burn to deal half damage, but ignore soak in all cases.

21 hours ago, Silidus said:

One thing to note about the Bane spiders.

I believe the intention of BURN is that it includes any passive effects of the original hit. So with Bane Spiders, the burn trait on their acid spit and venom is intended to include Pierce. However, at some point one of the designers answered a SWRPG question in an email stating that traits like Breach (and presumably Pierce) do not apply to burn, which makes the Bane Spider as written pretty lame (even basic stats or armor are enough to completely cancel the burn value).

I would recommend either having BURN include the Pierce trait, or house-ruling burn to deal half damage, but ignore soak in all cases.

Pierce does get added to blast but im unsure about burn. Can try and find out.

About the bane spider its a nice little critter but as the stat block goes its not that powerful a rival. I would recommend not house ruling burn but scaling up the damage if you think your pc's are to equipped to get challenged by it. Remember the house rule goes both ways so once your pc wizards starts getting creative with the burn quality :) But its quite easy to scale up foes. +1-2 damage +1-3 wounds +1 soak or maybe adversary 1 and call em Queth'i the children of Queen Ariad or something :P

And use the threat creative. The bane spiders have stealth and the ability Skitter(can move across walls, ceilings, and giant
spider webs without penalty).

So have them sneak up on the party maybe drop a few of that webbing attack with ensnare from the ceiling ensnaring the big soak platemail pc and have a field day with burn on your wizards or bards or whatever is trailing behind.

Sorry for the offtopic very nice minis @Enfid

Huh. Regarding the Bane Spiders for some reason I thought that pierce applies. That's why I have the impression that a bite is bloody deadly.

Given that the nature of the "burn" is poison, I may houserule that either:

a) Only soak from brawn counts towards soaking the burn damage (Naturally tough PCs shrug the poison off more easily, while physically weaker PCs are more affected.),

or

b) Pierce is applied.

I may try each and see how my virtual PCs fare.

OTOH, I agree with Archellus that a monster is not only its stat block, but also its tactics and "personality". These spiders, like most spiders, would never attack directly, but trap their prey in webs or ambush them.

Anyway I finally finished the beastmen! These took much longer than expected, and the texture of the skin and hair is a little rough, but I think it suits these well.

Beastmen%202_zpssmxusqdd.jpg

Beastmen%201_zpsbmfsbluy.jpg

So with the beastmen I assume using as much Advantages as possible for Critical? For this, is one bigger group of beastmen better than multiple small groups, then? I think it is very thematic for them to be very savage in their attacks but also to attack in packs to hunt one target (as many hunting animals tend to do) instead of spreading out.

Next up I am jumping to Krutzbeck. Now that I have a human and an elf, I am going for a dwarf next.

True, beastmen should by nature look a little unkempt (a bit like me when burnt out mid-working-week!)