Heroes - Spoilers

By Kennon, in 8. AGoT Off Topic

So why are we not discussing the Chapter 3 finale here?

Ando's power rocks... I'm curious why they chose the sound effects for it that they did. They're just so... weird. I found it amusing how Hiro going back in time set the future in motion (ripping the formula in two) instead of changing it. However, I'm still a little hazy -- did Claire and Hiro get their powers back? I don't remember the last episode fully, but I seem to have the impression that they did, and could not figure out how. Very sad that Elle died. Not nearly enough was done with her character. They had "changed" her too much before they paired her up with Sylar, and that was a big disappointment for me. At the start of the season, their (hoped for) relationship was the thing I was most looking forward to.

What traditional superpowers haven't we seen yet? Super-flexibility? Some sort of Beast/Thing/Hulk thing? Anyone have wagers on what the next powers we'll see will be?

With the impending War on Heroes by the government, I'm gonna have to go with something that blurs what it means to have superpowers. I'll cast my vote with "rich-but-otherwise-normal technology dude". I just hope they come with with a better name than me. Wombat Man? Ferrum Man?

Yes, I thought Ando's power was pretty awesome. Not what I had expected from the earlier episodes.

Oh lord, not a stretchy character. We don't need a Plastic Man......

Hmm... well, we don't have an alien visitor yet. That's a pretty standard comic hero archetype. Have we seen anyone with eyebeams yet? There are quite a few characters floating around with some variation on that.

As far as someone like Beast goes, you could make a pretty strong argument for Mohinder. Scientist getting hasty and testing things on himself, and then mutating in unexpected ways.

Just curious, but let's say Ando "supercharges" Peter. Exactly how far away could he absorb abilities then? And what if Peter takes Ando's power. Can he supercharge himself?! What if they supercharged each other at the same time?! ~Would they just create an infinite loop of supercharging?! And if so, shouldn't there be an errata to Ando's power? :P

~Nah, they just demonstrate the loop once, then state a finite number of times to amplify each other's powers (say 100 million billion) and then proceed without having to show it every single time and hold up the show.

Kennon said:

100 million billion

What, over 9000?!

There's a joke about ulimit in here as well... but I can't quite piece it together.

Anyone other than Staton and myself still willing to watch the show tonight?

I watched it tonight and really enjoyed it. I'm rather excited about the show again. Its been so terrible through season 2 and season 3 that I had just about given up. Season 3 started ok, then had one too many "what the hell?" moments for my taste. Everyone had superpowers, and there did not seem to be any sort of coherent plot or suspense. Just random stuff happening, and characters suddenly acting unlike themselves.

I thought the show was over for me after watching the eclipse episode. That made me just shake my head and wonder where it all went wrong. But since they hired the guy from "Pushing Daisies" (who wrote the excellent season 1 episode "Company Man) I'm impressed so far. I could really feel that the show made an effort to move back to character driven stories. Hopefully it lasts all season.

I think it was better than last season, but there are still some things that just don't make much sense. Why is Noah working with these governmental types, other than it essentially "resets" his character to where he was at the start of the first season. There doesn't seem to be anything that I would see driving him towards it. If anything, his love of Claire should be keeping him away.

Aside from that not making sense, I thought it was a decent "reboot" episode. Most things really have been set back to how they were in Season 1, or at least some variation thereof. Evidently last season was the Heroes universe version of....... umm............ I dunno......... what was a really bad contuity cleanup crossover? Zero Hour wasn't so hot..... Yeah. Zero Hour. That was our Zero Hour, and now we have a slighlty modified universe set back to status quo to play in. We'll see if they do anything worthwhile with it.

All in all, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't good yet either.

I'm trying to figure out if next week we'll be watching Heroes or Lost.

Noah I think wants to be on the winning side, and protect his daughter. He's working with the Nathan and Mrs. Petrelli, who also want to protect Claire. Makes some sort of sense, and it was probably Nathan who contacted him: "Work with me, and we'll keep Claire safe." I loved when Hiro pulled out the costume, as he is so totally into the "we have to be superheroes" thing, and I suspect Claire feels the same way.

However, I was let down by the episode, though that might just be because BSG last Friday was so **** good, and far more intense. And Peter, he just keeps reaffirming my faith that he is a rube. Just about anyone can play him like a harp, once they know the notes.

And Sylar. At least he still has scruples, not killing his "dad." But after everything else the writers have done with Sylar, I'd much rather see a new villain.

I watched. I'll watch the next few until we hit the Brian Fuller episodes. If they suck, I'm gone. I rather suspect they won't, though. Fuller is on record as saying the first couple eps are really good, the next two quite lousy and then its back on track with him at the helm.

And, honestly, bitching about this show has become part of its charm.

Hey, all, finally checking in here on the new Forums, and, of course, my first post is to the "Heroes" spoiler thread!

I'm really happy with the season thus far, though last week's was pretty lame in my opinion. Daphne's "death" was seriously underplayed (and under reacted to by Parkman), no mention of Claire's ability to bring her back to life (though that may be a good thing) and what was up with that air strike explosion?! I've seen bigger blasts from an M-80! :D

If MK's count is right, then I think that means tonight's episode will be weak, too, but then we've got the Fuller episodes to look forward to after that.

<fingers crossed>

-Ken

I watched last week's episode on DVR Saturday. Wow. It was bad. I had hopes that this season was off to a good start, but the dialogue in that episode was pathetic at best. I'll stick it out tonight, and then hope very, very hard that things get good again next week.

*sigh*

I just recieved this text from Staton, repeated here verbatim.

"maybe it was just me, but i thought claires guy pal was like a more nerdy version of you, haha. especially when he had that retarded power. haha"

*sigh*

Kennon said:

*sigh*

"maybe it was just me, but i thought claires guy pal was like a more nerdy version of you, haha. especially when he had that retarded power. haha"

*sigh*

Frakin' LOL. That is awesome.

Heroes provides me with very little, but this makes up for the 45 minutes it stole from my life.

madkasel said:

Heroes provides me with very little, but this makes up for the 45 minutes it stole from my life.

You mean you haven't stopped watching yet?

MK, you've been disparaging Heroes for going on two full seasons, now!

-Ken

madkasel said:

Kennon said:

*sigh*

*sigh*

Frakin' LOL. That is awesome.

Oh no....... does that mean you agree?

WereRogue said:

madkasel said:

You mean you haven't stopped watching yet?

MK, you've been disparaging Heroes for going on two full seasons, now!

-Ken

Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment?

I dunno why I keep on. Right now I'm waiting on the Brian Fuller episodes to take hold.

The show offers just enough to keep me going on. If I didn't have DVR and had to record this on VCR, I'd have been done awhile back. Sylar is providing enough to get me through what's happening now, though I think the Mutant Registration Act (sorta) plotline is good and more interesting than the past couple. Nathan makes a good villain. And Peter is just so consistently stupid.

I do wonder what happened to Hayden. She really isn't hot anymore. And she's a worst actress as time goes on.

And, really, if people did actually have these kind of powers, don't you think we'd have to keep tabs on them in some way? (I'm not saying all locked up.)

So, what about last week's episode? I think it had potential, but it was ruined by bad writing/plotting/storytelling. Needing to tell that much of an episode in flashback is a very obvious sign of this. If they'd really been thinking, that episode would have been the first episode of this volume, and I think, would have set things up to be much more interesting for the following weeks.

Is next week the first of the new writers? If so, I'm excited, though it will be amazing at this point if they can rescue the show well enough to get it renewed again. *sigh*

I thought the stuff in the last episode, with Mrs. Bennett rocking everyone's world, was a step up.

She has a gun velcroed under the counter... that's awesome.

Most everything with Sylar has been good, too.

If anybody is still watching, we finally hit the first of the new Brian Fuller episodes and it delivered hugely. I'm on board for the rest of this season, anyway.

Yes, this last episode was quite an improvement. I actually found myself engaged again, which is really saying something. I thought Daphne's death was a very touching scene, and I really liked Mama Petrelli avoiding the agents, though I would have liked that scene to go on a bit longer. Could have made a really great "action" scene.

Wow, this series is MUCH better now! I enjoyed last night's episode immensely.

It was alright. I'm not enjoying Danko working with Sylar. From they entirely one dimensional way they've made him out in all the past episodes, teaming with Sylar was completely unreasonable from that point of view. For Pete's sake, he completed turned on the guy that started the program just because he could fly. Now we're expected to see him happily agree to work with a proven sociopath and serial killer?!

Also, I don't approve of Sylar gaining these shapeshifting abilities.

I think Sylar is like Gollum.