Can it be played without the app?

By Hawkstrike, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Will there be a printed (or pdf) scenario book?

I want to know the game can be played without internet access, and when the game inevitably dies and the app is discontinued, that the tabletop game will still be viable on the table.

I OK if you can't get more adventures/expansions without the app, but if it can *only* be played with the app, it's a hard pass.

I would guess that it requires the app to play. Hopefully if the app is discontinued in the future, then it will still be able to be played via emulator.

well as long as you don't need internet to play you can keep the app even if it's not updated right?

If it is available on Steam, it should be fully usable in offline mode. Unlike mobile platforms which can occasionally cause older abandoned software not to run after updates, PC games tend to have a very, very long life expectancy. Also, Fantasy Flight has shown a willingness to allow apps to be downloaded directly from their website with XCOM. If they were ever to abandon Steam or the mobile platforms for their app integrated games, it is a safe bet that they would do the same with those applications.

At least UFO app works without internet. It just says what happens and when. Not familiar with Mansion of madnes app, but I supose that it does not require internet neither (excluding updates ofcourse)

Apps should be optional as with Descent - sometimes I play board/tabletop games to get away from tech!

If you can ONLY play with the app then it's a no for me.

I'm sure with a fair amount of creativity the game could be adapted to play with an overlord like Descent or Imperial Assault.

To me, this really looks like an rpg lite game and my hope is the app will take care of the cohesive story line based on encounters and successful missions quite often lacking in Imperial Assault (due to the mish-mash of missions one can add to a campaign).

I saw a brief clip and a preview video (can't remember name of video) that showed I think 4 possible responses to an encounter and who knows how long that rabbit hole goes.

I'm super intrigued by the game, but will no doubt wait for it to come out and see what reviews show before diving in.

I have played both Mansions of Madness 1st Edition (a player plays the Overlord), and Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition (The app places the Overload)

My group prefer 2nd Edition. You do not need the internet to play it, but you need to download the app. We found that 2nd Edition is much more thematic with a greater variety of types of scenarios. When we played 1st edition, everyone reluctantly HAD to take a turn being the overlord. The goal of the Overlord is to win the game, not to create an engaging story. Many cases our Overlords won, by of course following the rules, but in a way that was not thematic to the story of the scenario.

Just my thoughts. This game is not a hard pass, but a hard yes.

Simply put, if you're unwilling to use the app, this game's not for you. Having successfully automated the GM/Overlord role for Mansions of Madness 2, I'd expect Fantasy Flight to include an app for every game they make from now on that would've otherwise required one player to be the Overlord. It's just a better strategy for them overall. As for Journeys, I've engraved it hard onto the wishlist.

Apps have value in terms of some positives- more game with less components to carry round, app does legwork of running game/ overlord like rival if applicable and not everyone likes player overlord type games, also if correctly programmed app won't make errors humans can. Also makes expansions/new content easy- doesn't have to have new game components in many cases.

but downsides too-

e.g. got to be near computer (not always easy in small living spaces), or got to have tablet/similar (or buy one if not got = yet more cost)

So not sure, the game might endear the app aspect to me, shall see!

One handy thing about having an app is that you’ll probably get a much better game if you’re playing one player. It will feel like you’re playing against a real, thinking person instead of it just being all done by random chance.

ive never tried any of those other board games that have got an app so I’m just wondering... do they have things like background music and voice acting on them?

5 hours ago, _Cunir said:

ive never tried any of those other board games that have got an app so I’m just wondering... do they have things like background music and voice acting on them?

Mansions of Madness 2nd edition does have music playing in the background - kinda eerie and atmospheric. The voice acting (which is really good btw) is mostly at the beginning and at the end of a scenario. Think i also heard a scream or two during a scenario, which was cool.

Apart from that, the app makes the experience really immersive and the map (and monsters) isn't always the same. There's a real feel of exploration and discovery which i'll also enjoy in LotR:JiM-E.

As much as i was for MoM 2nd ed, i'm also really excited about this game!

Edited by Shirys

If I need extra devices to play a board game... then that's not for me. Too bad, it looked quite nice.

I am definitely in the "more interested because it has an app" camp. It allows for a lot of things to be done that can't be done with a physical only product, eliminates some upkeep, and adds some ambiance with music, sound effects, etc.

Another pro of apps of course is it's also another way to get the tech generation board gaming and to venture out of the digital realm a bit, which is good for board games generally!

It always wonders me why people post 24/7 on the internet about not wanting to play a boardgame with their ... phones or other posting tools. :)

I also can not understand why people say they use these devices too much.

Sorry but 30 years ago we:

- sat for hours watching TV

- sat hours in cinema theathers watching movies

- listened for hours to music while just sitting or doing things

- waisted hours to look up books in libraries

- read novels and books too heavy to drag along

- read hours in our magazines and news papers

- did sports while inconveniantly had to drag cassette recorders with us

- hang for hours on our phones to talk to our love ones...

- lost far too many hours to find a road without GPS

- did not even play correctly because we had no on line help for rules look up....

BUT NOW ... some are too stubborn to use these tools to limit the number of trees being cut for a card being drawn....

Tldr: this is 2019. We use computers ALL the time. Grow up.

Edited by MMOfan
2 hours ago, MMOfan said:

I also can not understand why people say they use these devices too much.

I think today people are mostly talking about the devices accessing social media platforms and the negative impacts they're having on people and not necessarily the devices themselves. I think in general it's also a repeated generational concept that we're living too much of our lives online and in alternate realities and are forgetting to enjoy the simple and real things in life(Ready Player One film rings a bell here).

I think the rest of your post was implying that technology is a time saver and very convenient, therefore, as it relates to this game, the app will prevent the expenditure of "wasted time" and make things more convenient?

If I do understand the point you're trying to make, I think you're overlooking the possibility that your definition of wasted time is subjective. With some of your examples, what you consider to be wasted time is actually a thrill for others.

I know people that get excited about the search of a book in a library, or the search of a location without a map or GPS. It's the whole "adventure in the journey and not the destination."

The "conveniences" and "time saved" in the game with the use of the app may eliminate the very thing some folks really enjoy about a game they own(card shuffling and revealing, dice chucking, etc). ((Yes I realize this game doesn't use dice and has skill decks/cards))

I understand people who dislike the idea of an app driving their campaign, and I understand people who love the idea of the app or love games with apps.

I guess my point is that not everyone has to "get with the program" and adopt the use of electronic devices in boardgames and are free to express themselves on these forums. I think if someone posts a simple "app driven, not for me" type of comment it shows the LOTR and game type excited them and brought them here only to have their hopes dashed by the app (something they don't want in their boardgames).

I think most people posting here aren't anti-device and can generally agree on the convenience of technology but that doesn't mean they want to require the use of a device in their boardgames, which for some, is a time to put the phones away and give your undivided attention to the game and players/guests/friends/family.

We use this technology every moment in our life ... because there is use for it. Do you use an abacus or take your phone to do a quick calculation? Do you take a paper map or set your GPS?

As such they are not even viewed as devices with screens , but tools to make life better.

And yes they CAN make better boardgames too. Compare the set up difficulties and hic ups in MoM1. One mistake by the game master and your gaming night was ruined.

Imagine the joy I had when finding out that AT LAST I could buy Descent2 to play solo without or together as a hero with my wife ...

Making the usual negative comments about hybrid boardgames is silly in this society anno 2019.

Within 5 years there will be hardly a difference between your player card and the fold up phone in your pocket.

Within 10 you will have folded silicon maps and processors. Constructing artificial barriers against ever progressing tools is a waste of time.

9 minutes ago, MMOfan said:

We use this technology every moment in our life ... because there is use for it. Do you use an abacus or take your phone to do a quick calculation? Do you take a paper map or set your GPS?

As such they are not even viewed as devices with screens , but tools to make life better.

And yes they CAN make better boardgames too. Compare the set up difficulties and hic ups in MoM1. One mistake by the game master and your gaming night was ruined.

Imagine the joy I had when finding out that AT LAST I could buy Descent2 to play solo without or together as a hero with my wife ...

Making the usual negative comments about hybrid boardgames is silly in this society anno 2019.

Within 5 years there will be hardly a difference between your player card and the fold up phone in your pocket.

Within 10 you will have folded silicon maps and processors. Constructing artificial barriers against ever progressing tools is a waste of time.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said (right up until your last sentence but I'll get there), but I think you kind of missed my rather simple point.

Not everyone wants and/or likes what you do and as such, they have a differing and entirely valid opinion.

That's awesome the app works for you (and apps have worked for you and your wife with Descent 2nd Ed), but some people don't like/want that.

Now, your last sentence...

I think I understand what you're implying but we're talking about apps being incorporated into boardgames and made a requirement to play said games. I don't think anyone is saying apps should not be used in any boardgame but rather the required use of an app in a boardgame means they will not purchase/play that game. That's not constructing an artificial barrier in an attempt to prevent progress. That's just a lack of participation.

BTW, I do use a paper map and compass when navigating in the wilderness. Why not a GPS? Batteries die, signals can be poor, and GPS makes you lazy! Save the GPS for emergencies.

For what it's worth, FFG seem to have become the standard bearer for app-driven games. They've provided them for Descent & Imperial Assault, and Mansions of Madness 2 has a profile that's head and shoulders above any other app-driven game out there. Which means, in my opinion, that for games like Mansions and the upcoming Journeys, FFG's job is not to provide alternatives for those who dislike apps. It's to wow those who are prepared to play app-driven boardgames - to not put them off, in other words - and FFG can do this by putting their energies into making the best darned apps that they can.

So I want to see the Journeys app be the best one that's ever been created for an FFG boardgame - or for any boardgame, really. A big ask, but I think it can be done if FFG are properly focused on it.

19 hours ago, Theldyrn said:

For what it's worth, FFG seem to have become the standard bearer for app-driven games. They've provided them for Descent & Imperial Assault, and Mansions of Madness 2 has a profile that's head and shoulders above any other app-driven game out there. Which means, in my opinion, that for games like Mansions and the upcoming Journeys, FFG's job is not to provide alternatives for those who dislike apps. It's to wow those who are prepared to play app-driven boardgames - to not put them off, in other words - and FFG can do this by putting their energies into making the best darned apps that they can.

So I want to see the Journeys app be the best one that's ever been created for an FFG boardgame - or for any boardgame, really. A big ask, but I think it can be done if FFG are properly focused on it.

Would agree on these points, and Asmodee are doing a lot in the digital realm, even for those of us who prefer apps to be an optional thing for a game rather than an essential (which is my standpoint) it's worth also realizing that it can be a good way for board games to continue to hold their own against digital rivals, plus it gets them extra exposure (such as Descent having a visibility on Steam and so on).

Also if the app's really good then it becomes worth us oldskoolers adapting to the change! Descent's app showed what apps can bring to games.

There remains that frustration though which is a potential barrier to sales- for those of us that don't own a tablet there's the extra expense of having to buy a tablet or laptop to take the game to game meets (it's not too practical to take the desktop and you really want a bigger screen than a phone), so, potential extra cost- tablets / laptops aren't cheap. So yes, the app does need to be really good if it's essential for the game, but with FFG/Asmodee's digital teams I think it will be, which might be another thing that starts to win us tech-escapers over.

So still mixed feelings as I use lots of tech but still have some fors/againsts with tech plus games, not all of them unjustified- social interaction's already being damaged by people looking at phones (which does happen a lot, think some people have more phonescreen contact than eye contact these days!), and even the irony that a lot of the discussions like we have on here used to happen in vocal conversation, so I guess we can't escape tech.

Me: moan apps moan *observes fact comment being typed in digital forum* Computer says Gotcha

*adds tablet to gamer shopping list*

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
Hah - accidentaly put 'lose lots of tech'
45 minutes ago, Watercolour Dragon said:

Would agree on these points, and Asmodee are doing a lot in the digital realm, even for those of us who prefer apps to be an optional thing for a game rather than an essential (which is my standpoint) it's worth also realizing that it can be a good way for board games to continue to hold their own against digital rivals, plus it gets them extra exposure (such as Descent having a visibility on Steam and so on).

Also if the app's really good then it becomes worth us oldskoolers adapting to the change! Descent's app showed what apps can bring to games.

There remains that frustration though which is a potential barrier to sales- for those of us that don't own a tablet there's the extra expense of having to buy a tablet or laptop to take the game to game meets (it's not too practical to take the desktop and you really want a bigger screen than a phone), so, potential extra cost- tablets / laptops aren't cheap. So yes, the app does need to be really good if it's essential for the game, but with FFG/Asmodee's digital teams I think it will be, which might be another thing that starts to win us tech-escapers over.

So still mixed feelings as I use lots of tech but still have some fors/againsts with tech plus games, not all of them unjustified- social interaction's already being damaged by people looking at phones (which does happen a lot, think some people have more phonescreen contact than eye contact these days!), and even the irony that a lot of the discussions like we have on here used to happen in vocal conversation, so I guess we can't escape tech.

Me: moan apps moan *observes fact comment being typed in digital forum* Computer says Gotcha

*adds tablet to gamer shopping list*

It's actually hard for me to think of a game that shipped with a central app and an analogue alternative, out of the box. The closest example I can think of is Alchemists, which uses an app but allows for one player to answer potion formulae questions instead. Which isn't very satisfying for most people because that player can't participate normally.

I think it's no coincidence that the appearance of board gaming apps has coincided with tablets becoming ubiquitous. In most cases, a tablet is the most convenient device. I can understand feeling that you have to buy one to play a boardgame would be irksome, but I've found my own tablet's useful enough that it would be worth having even if I never used it for boardgaming. For some people, borrowing a friend's device will be a viable option, as the app won't take up much room.

As for people interacting more with their phones to the detriment of interpersonal relations, that's clearly a bad habit of the times. I also think there's a reason for app makers to gravitate towards apps that engage the whole group, rather than only one member. For example, providing a map for everyone to look at.

I personally don’t mind the app, but aren’t they already working on a LOTR app game? They’ve got that beta one on Steam at the moment that I will probably end up getting when it gets a full release.

So now the card game will be on an app, and the board game has got an app.

The downside of sticking everything on an app is that lots of people like to collect things. That’s what keeps them coming back to the LCG, because they like having a complete collection of cards to look through and hold. There’s just something about having a physical thing in your hands that you can look at. It’s the same with the board games, when they release new sets and figures for them. You have to have them!

If they just stick all the quests and cards on an app then it doesn’t quite have the same pull. You don’t feel like you’re building up a collection when it’s all digital stuff.

1 hour ago, _Cunir said:

So now th  e card game will be on  an a  pp  ,  a  n  d the board   game has got an app.        

The LOTR lcg digital game has little to do with the card game, except the art and the fact that it is announced as "lcg". Definitely different mechanics, though. It's like a simplification of the original card game. So they should know better than cannibalize themselves.

My only reservation with FFG and an App is they haven't exactly set themselves as having a good track record with the app for X-Wing and KeyForge.