Everything we know so far!

By TheWiseGuy, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

In RuneWars board game there is no dice.

Also no dice in Middle-Earth Quest. Nice breakdown video though...

4 hours ago, Titeman1 said:

Also no dice in Middle-Earth Quest. Nice breakdown video though...

I've just heard about this older game MEQ. I'm sad I missed it. Thanks for watching 😊

One thing is not very clear to me is this part:

"As your quest begins in Jouneys in Middle-earth, you will soon be swept away on a series of adventures that spans across Middle-earth. Each of your adventures is but one part of the greater Bones of Arnor campaign that could take you in any number of directions. Throughout the fourteen adventures of this campaign , you’ll unravel mysteries, fight enemies, and further the story as you chase down missing relics and discover a threat that looms over all Free Peoples."

Will all these 14 adventures be part of the Journey in Middle-Earth basic box or will they more likely be splitted amongst the basic box and a few future expansions? I feel inclined towards the second option, but you never know...

Just now, Alonewolf87 said:

One thing is not very clear to me is this part:

"As your quest begins in Jouneys in Middle-earth, you will soon be swept away on a series of adventures that spans across Middle-earth. Each of your adventures is but one part of the greater Bones of Arnor campaign that could take you in any number of directions. Throughout the fourteen adventures of this campaign , you’ll unravel mysteries, fight enemies, and further the story as you chase down missing relics and discover a threat that looms over all Free Peoples."

Will all these 14 adventures be part of the Journey in Middle-Earth basic box or will they more likely be splitted amongst the basic box and a few future expansions? I feel inclined towards the second option, but you never know...

Hmmm an interesting point! I hadn't thought of it that way. I want to think they wouldn't drop a specific number of adventures if the game didn't include them straight up. Gloomhaven has scores of encounters in its box so 14 doesn't seem unreasonable. What seems more likely to me is the core game IS the bones of arnor. Expansions will be other campaigns. I hope... :P

I would assume it would all just be in the core box, based on the fact IA and Descent (other campaign games) are designed that way.

If you read the text that is what it is telling us, each 'game' is called an 'adventure', these 'adventures' are a part of a bigger arcing 'campaign', Bones of Arnor. I can't see them releasing an app with the core that requires components from yet announced/released expansions. They have not done that to date at least and based on this we should assume this game will be no different.

So we may see new campaigs and/or extension to the campaigns and Also maybe Little character of role upgrades?

Just now, Hannibal_pjv said:

So we may see new campaigs and/or extension to the campaigns and Also maybe Little character of role upgrades?

If I were a betting man I'd say that sounds about right :)

Given FFG's track record with expansions, especially in this format, yes we will not be short on content for this game :) Look at IA or MoM 2nd Edition as an example.

IA has 6 boxed expansions (all with new figures, map tiles, campaigns, cards etc..) and numerous figure packs, as well as 2 app campaigns so far (the app was designed late game for IA, originally it was a 1 vs many game).

MoM currently has 4 boxed expansions with numerous scenarios released, new tiles, figures, monsters etc.. as well as the odd app only scenario released that does not require purchasing new physical components.

Given that we have yet to see heroes like Boromir, Frodo, Gandalf, etc.. there is a ton of room for this game to grow with endless Tolkien lore to explore. Again for example.. the LCG has 7 deluxe expansions (each with its own 6 pack cycle) and 8 saga expansions. Soooooo much content. (yes I understand saga and deluxe have over lap).

We should probably all put our shades on, the future of this game is very bright :)

Edited by FrogTrigger

The way I see it is that the three main games supported by apps at the moment. Mansions of Madness, Descent 2e and Imperial Assault. MoM does not lend itself to campaign play (although it is entirely possible) so new scenarios are available as new expansions (big and small) are developed. The two games that are campaign based (Descent and IA) were stand alone game before the app tie in making it difficult to produce digital campaigns to tie in with the boxed expansions already available. Lord of the Rings will be the first campaign based game to be produced at the same time as the app. For this reason I think FFG will develop each expansion alongside a new digital campaign. As Bones of Arnor is the core game campaign, it's a good bet that each new expansion will have it's own app campaign.

Edited by jamiecocker404

I think the 14 adventures are the ones possible in the campaign but you'll probably end up playing half of them in the campaign based on success or failure and potentially decisions made during encounters.

Meaning, you could play the campaign a few times but not play all the same adventures over and over.

IA does the same thing.

I wonder if they will go with a delux expansion, starting the campaign with say, 6 scenarios, followed by 6 small box expansions (with a couple of figures? And some cards) each with its own scenario for the app.

So the play time of this game is listed as 1 hour, where as with Imperial Assault it is 1 - 2 hours (I don't think I've ever actually played a mission that was under 2 hours though).

It makes me wonder what the campaign length will actually be..

Listed at 1-2 hours per game, IA started out with a 11 mission campaign, that lasted through several big boxes (punctuated by two small box 4 mission 'mini' campaigns). Since Jabba's though we've seen a big box with only 8 mission campaign and Lothal that can be frankensteined together for either a 4 or 7 mission campaign. My group honestly prefers the shorter length, 11 missions is a lot to get through. Especially when you can really only play 2 a night. The story loses meaning. With the IA app they shortened it even more to 5 missions (with multiple story arcs in the Jabba's campaign), I am guessing because the app development resources are a bit more consuming.

I hope these adventure campaigns are in the middle somewhere, that 6-7 range would be perfect.

On 1/13/2019 at 9:51 PM, Hannibal_pjv said:

Be sure about this.

Looking at the format and the IP, if the games succeed they will probably see expansions like:

- Mines of Moria

- Lorthlorien

- Rohan

- Rhun

- Harad

and on and on.

And the same with the characters and races.