What kind of player mats are these?

By Iranon, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

I would hope for rubber player mats of the usual FFG quality. But nothing in the news story mentions what material the player mats are made of, only that they are "deluxe." For all we know, these could just be paper.

I've sent FFG customer service an email asking for clarification, and I'll let you all know what they say.

Would guess punchboard.

Edited by daveb_33
Spelling

They are rubber, like x wing mats, 100% sure of that.

6 hours ago, Zura said:

They  are rubber  , like x wing mats, 100% sure of that  .

How do you know?

I am also curious how you came to find this information? I hastily preordered then realized I wasn't sure on the material of the playmat. So now I am curious. Its about an extra $40 to PO through FFG

3 hours ago, Iranon said:

How do you know?

" No matter which map you’re using, the Middle-earth Gamemat offers a secure foundation as a slip-resistant, 3’ x 3’ rubber mat that’s perfect for your unfolding adventures." Product page.

5 minutes ago, Zura said:

" No matter which map you’re using, the Middle-earth Gamemat offers a secure foundation as a slip-resistant, 3’ x 3’ rubber mat that’s perfect for your unfolding adventures." Product page.

You are looking at the Gameplay mat that is a map of middle earth. I think the OP is talking about the 5 player playmats. That is also what im curious about too. not the 3x3 gamemat

If you pre-order Journeys in Middle-earth online through our webstore, there's a special, exclusive bonus for you—five deluxe Player Mats (one per player) while supplies last! These 13" x 6" playmats offer clear designations for your hero card, prepared skills, skill deck, and equipped items, so no matter where your adventures take you, you can keep your space organized with these deluxe Player Mats. Pre-order through our website today to receive these exclusive deluxe Player Mats with your order!

Just a FYI, FFG doesn't normally respond to forum posts. You would be much better off sending them an email with your question, which is a very fair question to know before you pre order.

If you are unhappy with what the mat is made out of, I am positive they would give you a refund based on my past dealings with them. But if you do email and get a respond, please sure it here for the rest of us.

Yes, I’m referring to the pre-order exclusive Player Mats, not to the Middle-earth Gamemat. The latter is rubber; it’s not clear what the former will be. I have sent customer service an email and will let you all know when they respond.

Edited by Iranon
typo

I am very interested to hear what the play mats will be made of and if they will be offered after release.

I really did just assume they would be the normal playmats that most playmats are made of, but I watched some youtube video where the person said he would be very surprised if it wasn't a paper mat. I dont know why it would be because FFG usually has very high quality items. But 5 free playmats just for PO with FFG does sound like a really good deal if they are made of the material that most other playmats are.

Please let us know what you find out! The community thanks you!

These will be card stock. If it was neoprene there is no way they would have omitted that detail.

FWIW, they are described as “deluxe.” I’m not sure I would associate “deluxe” with paper.

1 hour ago, steveisbig said:

These will be card stock. If it was neoprene there is no way they would have omitted that detail.

Thats honestly what I was thinking. Plus the value seems too good. 5 neoprene playmats is a lot

6 hours ago, nevogamer1 said:

FWIW, they are described as “deluxe.” I’m not sure I would associate “deluxe” with paper.

"Deluxe" is that "Hey, you don't have to leave your cards on the table, unorganized, like a savage".

6 hours ago, Autobot Tran said:

Thats honestly what I was thinking. Plus the value seems too good. 5 neoprene playmats is a lot

They seem to be generic, though, and a pretty simple design. Still, I see your point.

The mats are small, 13" x 6". Five of them aren't much bigger than a single card game playmat. My expectations are set for neoprene and not paper.

Neoprene mats confirmed here

Well, that's a sadness -- they've now sold out of the preorder-exclusive playmats, just hours after confirming they will be neoprene. And, because I'm at work, I didn't get my preorder placed in time.

And you know what really sucks? Jeremy Powell, the Twitter user who asked that question and got the response out of them, is me.

Actually, the more I think about this, the more irritated I get. Specifically regarding two decisions made by FFG:

1) Making what must surely be a very limited supply of these -- without giving fans any advance notice that they would be so limited. "Exclusive to pre-orders" is very different from "exclusive to the first 200 pre-orders" (or however many they made).

2) Making these exclusive to pre-orders via their webstore, not offering them through brick-and-mortar game stores. This squarely goes against FFG's usual approach of supporting local game stores by rewarding direct sales.

The second point in particular represents a new direction for this company. Think about it: when was the last time FFG offered customers a *disincentive* to shop locally?

13 minutes ago, Iranon said:

Actually, the more I think about this, the more irritated I get. Specifically regarding two decisions made by FFG:

1) Making what must surely be a very limited supply of these -- without giving fans any advance notice that they would be so limited. "Exclusive to pre-orders" is very different from "exclusive to the first 200 pre-orders" (or however many they made).

If you pre-order Journeys in Middle-earth online through our webstore, there's a special, exclusive bonus for you five deluxe Player Mats (one per player) while supplies last!
"While supplies last"

How did you learn that they are sold out? And where can you see if a preorder you placed   , has  the mats inside or not? I preordered several days ago but saw nothing in the inv  oice about t  hese m  ats...  nowhere in my order I can see the mats are inside...

14 minutes ago, verdealex79 said:

How did you learn that they are sold out? And where can you see if a preorder you placed   , has  the mats inside or not? I preordered several days ago but saw nothing in the inv  oice about t  hese m  ats...  nowhere in my order I can see the mats are inside...

Same info in the actual page here in the site, too.

1 hour ago, verdealex79 said:

I had a similar question, I tried sending a message to FFG through this website but didn't get a reply. Anyone know the answer to this?

I saw on an FFG Facebook post that the play-mats were sold out. It is a bit of a bummer but I feel like I've seen things like this happen before with FFG so I'm not too surprised. I mean there's also the possibility that they didn't think they would get as many pre-orders as they did.

It is kind of unfortunate for people like me who were are absolutely interested in the game but wanted more information before dropping a Franklin. I've learned not to buy games on hype alone and I've seen many cool pictures of games with cool titles but ended up passing on them because I realized I wouldn't enjoy the game play.

At the end it doesn't really change anything for me. I'm still interested in the game and when more information becomes available on how it's played I'll make my decision then. :)