The Land Endures

By hakooh, in Runewars Miniatures Game

I was just thinking about how I would feel if one day I opened up the FFG homepage and *BAM!* new article announcing the next wave of Runewars. I would be sooo excited!

...but where would I buy it? Yeah, we, the players, feel let down and a little betrayed that FFG dropped this game with seemingly little effort put in to building it up. But imagine how the stores feel. Those that still carry the game are slashing prices and probably won't carry it. That said, you could still order it through your FLGS, but I just feel that the stores are the real victims in this story.

1 hour ago, Parakitor said:

But imagin  e how the stores f  eel.

Imagine how I feel! I did a recruiting tour right before they dropped OP and got 4 people to drop serious cash on a game with no support. I cant hardly look those guys in the eyes any longer. They spent their hard earned cash on this game becasue I sold it to them, and FFG pulled the rug out after everyone made their cash commitment.

The general sales pitch becomes:

1) Dead game. So good news is that there is a known financial commitment and then you’re done. No keeping up with the Jones’.

2) FFG killed this game after reaching a good level of parity between factions. So no faction is truly shorthanded.

3) The people obsessively playing this game since launch are still finding new combos and builds. So even for a dead game you will have a lot of variety for a long time.

... and there are fans working on an expansion... 😀

Hello everyone, i picked up this game (the base set) like 10 days ago. It's my first miniature game and it looks very good... but then i discovered this thread.

So... is the game dead? No more new release? Old one are out of production?

Also, i'm Italy. Many products have never been release in italian and are hard to find (for example, the hero Baron Zacareth). I guess they will never be released in other language beside english, am i right?

16 hours ago, sarumanthewhite said:

... and there are fans working on an expansion... 😀

Yeah, I want that !!!!! 😉

7 hours ago, swarmer said:

Hello everyone, i picked up this game (the base set) like 10 days ago. It's my first miniature game and it looks very good... but then i discovered this thread.

So... is the game dead? No more new release? Old one are out of production?

Also, i'm Italy. Many products have never been release in italian and are hard to find (for example, the hero Baron Zacareth). I guess they will never be released in other language beside english, am i right?

Welcome to the best rank and file minis game!

So, to summarize, FFG announced discontinuing organized play. Since then, they have been silent. We are still in the dark on if there is more to come, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

That said, this game is awesome, and if you have a friend to play with, you will get hours of enjoyment without end.

Not certain if the game will go out of print, but there are a lot of great deals on the minis via Amazon and whatnot, so buying in is only about half the cost of when the game released.

I recommend if you already jumped in to stick with it, play it, and promote it. That's what I'm doing.

1 hour ago, Jukey said:

Welcome to the best rank and file minis game!

So, to summarize, FFG announced discontinuing organized play. Since then, they have been silent. We are still in the dark on if there is more to come, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

That said, this game is awesome, and if you have a friend to play with, you will get hours of enjoyment without end.

Not certain if the game will go out of print, but there are a lot of great deals on the minis via Amazon and whatnot, so buying in is only about half the cost of when the game released.

I recommend if you already jumped in to stick with it, play it, and promote it. That's what I'm doing.

Oh, now i understand. Well, thank you for the info!

I haven't played a game yet, but i think i will on next week with my friends.

I'd really like to expand my armies because this game looks awesome and intricate enough to be fun, but without being a mess. But it's hard to buy things not knowing if they will be discontinued or released.

Right now i think i'll make my 200 points Waiqar list, then my Daqan list. For Waiqar i'll use Ardus in a lista based on Archers and Carrion lancers (i'm loving them). For Daqan i really want to use Baron Zacareth, he is so cool, he's my favourite hero in the game. If he won't be released in Italy, i guess i'll have to order him in english from american amazon.

If i post my wannabe lists on the forum, will you all help me? Thanks :)

Still don't know if i should stop with Waiqar and Daqan, or also buy Latari and Uthuk

18 minutes ago, swarmer said:

Oh, now i understand. Well, thank you for the info!

I haven't played a game yet, but i think i will on next week with my friends.

I'd really like to expand my armies because this game looks awesome and intricate enough to be fun, but without being a mess. But it's hard to buy things not knowing if they will be discontinued or released.

Right now i think i'll make my 200 points Waiqar list, then my Daqan list. For Waiqar i'll use Ardus in a lista based on Archers and Carrion lancers (i'm loving them). For Daqan i really want to use Baron Zacareth, he is so cool, he's my favourite hero in the game. If he won't be released in Italy, i guess i'll have to order him in english from american amazon.

If i post my wannabe lists on the forum, will you all help me? Thanks :)

Still don't know if i should stop with Waiqar and Daqan, or also buy Latari and Uthuk

We will certainly look over lists.

The figures are very cheap right now. You can find armies on eBay for $100. It’s unpainted, but it’s easily $400 worth of product. My advice:

Start simple: Start with Daqan or Waiqar. They were out the longest, likely the most overproduced, and therefore likely the most likely to be on sale. You can find plenty of lists here on the forums. @Darth Matthew makes a ton of lists and posts them. Some of them are very clever.

Use an online army builder: Tabletop Admiral.com/Runewars is a great resource for this. You can tweak your armies and see all the cards available. You can see dials and more info at: https://runewars.fandom.com/wiki/Runewars_Miniatures_Wiki

Be patient and stick with it: Our group goes through starts and stops due to family life and work. We’ve set a regular night and just text the heck out of everyone on Wednesday night to see who’s around. We change the size and scale of our game based on who’s around. We’re in the middle of a 2v2, 300 pt. game. We’re playing some wonky stuff and having a blast. There’s some nights I don’t play and instead work on helping the newer players with their armies and game play. It’s an investment that’s beginning to pay dividends.

Make having fun the priority: This isn’t the competitive environment of X-Wing or Destiny. Expect to make some mistakes that lose you the game- it will happen, I’m a poster child for it. Don’t let any rules ambiguities stop you. Get as close as you can, note the question and ask it here on the forum.

Share your fun with the folks here on the forum: @Jukey writes up battle reports that I read like a ferret on crack. I wrote a couple and am documenting our 300 pt. game. A beautiful table with some insight about how/why the figures are floating around is pure fun.

Ask questions here on the forum: I was struggling with Latari for a bit and @Vergilius jumped right in and gave me a great starter list that could probably win a tournament.

The last thing I’ll say is that with all the stuff they’ve released, I could play for 2+ years and not be bored. Look at Armada. No expansions for over a year (and that one was pretty small). I’m not worried about how walking into a convention and finding 100 people playing a tournament (although @tgall is running one at GenCon!), I’m focused on having fun with my friends and meeting some of the other groups throughout the US at various conventions.

Anyway, I’m rambling on here, but as you can tell, I love this game. What’s funny is that when it came out in 2017 and my friends tried to rope me in, I said no way, I have too many games I own and am not playing. Now, I’m the one roping everyone in- go figure...

Thank you all guys, it's nice to have a supportive community! I will post my lists right now :)