Who are the base game heroes?

By Deadwolf, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

jme01_figures_heroes-all.png

We know Bilbo and Gimli, I'm guessing Boromir, Aragon, Legolas, and Arwen?

Bilbo over Frodo seems like an odd choice, as is the exclusion of Gandalf.

I think it's Aragorn, Elena, Gimli, Bilbo, Legolas and Beravor, having looked at the marketing articles. Elena and Beravor were in Middle Earth Quest I think and the LCG. I guess we will see every hero we want in expansions, as for Gandalf, too powerful i would imagine.

The second character from the left looks like Beravor, a female Dunedain ranger from the LotR:LCG Core Set. Character on the right looks more like Eowyn at first glance to me, but that might be an elf ear poking out -- which would make more sense for Arwen (and next to Legolas, the other elf). In that case, Aragorn is likely the guy on the far left -- either him or Halbarad (who is dual wielding in his LotR:LCG art). Chances are this game is dove-tailing with the digital version of the card game, so I'd expect to see a lot of overlap between those two releases (Aragorn, Gimli, Bilbo, Arwen, Eowyn, and Legolas all make sense from that perspective).

Bilbo makes sense as they're likely aiming to explore events that occur between the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. While the timeline will never match-up exactly, it creates opportunities to include a lot of named characters from both the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy without wading into recreating the events of the main stories. I hope to see Gandalf included at some point, but he might be a little too "powerful" to make sense as a player character. He might also be the way to tempt players into purchasing inevitable expansions...

Arwen makes more sense than Eowyn, especially if this takes place before the books and her face has a similar structure to Legolas'.

The 2 on the left have me stumped, neither particularly look like a pre-lotr Aragorn to me (First one does not look like a Ranger, and the 2nd looks a little small to be him)

Shrugs

Ya it's ffg so we know it will be an expansion aggressive game. I'll assume they are saving Gandalf to drive the sales of an expansion.

I hope that isn't Aragon on the left, seems like they might have missed the mark with his figure. Legolas and Gimli look great though.

Good catch on Beravor, definitely could be and is my favourite LCG character.

Well there is an Aragorn hero sheet in another preview picture and he's all about his multiple weapons so I think it's safe to say that's him on the far left, Beravor for sure for the next, three middle are Bilbo, Gimli and Legolas. The last one I'm not sure of, maybe Arwen. But she felt like more of the support healer type instead of the dual sword combat piece.

Eleanor, Mirlonde, Idraen, Rossiel, Caldara, Lanwyn, or Na'asiyah are some other FFG-created female characters that could be options. Of those if not elven-battle-princess Arwen, then Idraen or Caldara are the most sword-wielding types.

But yes for sure expansions in Gondor with Boromir/Faramir/Denethor, Shire with all the Hobbits and Rohan with Theoden, Eomer, Eowyn, (and Grima! Come on woot!) are expected.

11 minutes ago, GILLIES291 said:

Well there is an Aragorn hero sheet in another preview picture and he's all about his multiple weapons so I think it's safe to say that's him on the far left, Beravor for sure for the next, three middle are Bilbo, Gimli and Legolas. The last one I'm not sure of, maybe Arwen. But she felt like more of the support healer type instead of the dual sword combat piece.

Eleanor, Mirlonde, Idraen, Rossiel, Caldara, Lanwyn, or Na'asiyah are some other FFG-created female characters that could be options. Of those if not elven-battle-princess Arwen, then Idraen or Caldara are the most sword-wielding types.

But yes for sure expansions in Gondor with Boromir/Faramir/Denethor, Shire with all the Hobbits and Rohan with Theoden, Eomer, Eowyn, (and Grima! Come on woot!) are expected.

It was worked out in the unofficial Facebook group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/journeysinmiddleearth/permalink/896916530510843/

Bilbo

Gimli

Aragorn

Legolas

Elena

Beravor

If you go to shoecase for the game, you can see the names of the heroes

Beravor and Elena are those that are hard to recognize, plus there are Aragorn, Gimli, Bilbo and Legolas

Heroes :

Aragorn

Beravor

Gimli

Bilbo

Legolas

Elena

Roles :

Captain

Pathfinder

Guardian

Burglar

Hunter

Musician

Information spread across 3 webpages:

Showcase

News

Product page

Edited by Geb645

I like the outright lie on the showcase page saying that he box has 6 of the MOST iconic. LOTR characters. 😄 😛

I personally like like the character list, but just found that funny because Bereavor and Elena are certainly not iconic.

Edited by pixcalcis

I keep seeing Elena used in this thread, but her name is Eleanor!

1 hour ago, rbaker1978 said:

I keep seeing Elena used in this thread, but her name is Eleanor!

If you have read showcase page you would see they call her Elena

Edited by AleksDj
Typo
On 1/12/2019 at 4:48 AM, GILLIES291 said:

Well there is an Aragorn hero sheet in another preview picture and he's all about his multiple weapons

Could you tell where I can find that picture?

5 hours ago, Jedi Bendu said:

Could you tell where I can find that picture?

It's the very first picture in the article. The one with the whole game displayed. It is the artwork of Aragorn as a Lore character from the LCG.

9 hours ago, AleksDj said:

If you have read showcase page you would see they call her Elena 

They do? I can't find it anywhere on the page, on in the pictures. If so, that's strange because the character has been Eleanor since Middle Earth Quest. (And my daughter will be disappointed, because that's her name!)

Starting line up seems good and leaves the door open for some great expansion characters.

Edited by aReclusiveMind
Delayed response

jme01_aragorn-select.png

I have to say even the way the app is done from what we've seen so far, the art/graphic work looks amazing. Very Tolkienish feeling.

Also I don't believe this woman is meant to be Eleanor. Eleanor is from Gondor right? This girl has elvish ears it appears. I'm not the biggest Tolkien buff, but it appears there was also an Elena in Rivendell?

Edited by FrogTrigger
26 minutes ago, FrogTrigger said:

Also I don't believe this woman is meant to be Eleanor. Eleanor is from Gondor right? This girl has elvish ears it appears. I'm not the biggest Tolkien buff, but it appears there was also an Elena in Rivendell?

Yep, Eleanor is Gondorian.

This defintely a different character.

I am excited that they are including more than just the 'main' character. It's neat to see a character like Beravor in there with Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn. I look forward to seeing more of those types in future expansions. Give me Halbarad!

cool. whos the showcase page for ? whys it hard to find.....(just seen the showcase button to right of website )

I thought faramir and Arwen.. but guess they will be expansion bait.. any news on the monsters?

Golumn?

Edited by milarky

It says 31 miniatures total, with 6 being heroes. So we can assume based on that we have 25 enemy miniatures. We don't know for sure how the groupings work, if its similar to IA/Descent where multiple miniatures will belong to one deployment card or if it will follow MoM and have each miniature be an independent activation.

Based on the pictures though it looks like we have some pretty classic enemies, orcs, goblins, orc/goblin archers, wargs, something undead and a hill troll. Again, being Tolkien lore there are limitless options moving forward.

It could be something like four of each and 1 hill troll, or 6 of some and 3 of others etc.. again we don't really know the break down and we don't know for sure that this picture has EVERY enemy mini that comes in the box. IA had Stormies (9), Probe Droids (3), E-Webs (2), Nexus (2), Royal Guards (4), Imperial Offiers (3) Trandoshan Hunters (4), AT-ST, this seems pretty similar with 6 small figure deployments and one big and 6 heroes. The IA core had 35 total miniatures, so 4 more than what is in this box.

jme01_figures_enemies-all.png

Edited by FrogTrigger