How similar is this to Gloomhaven?

By Dusty27, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

I have been waiting for a more concise Gloomhaven design in a smaller package with a more mainstream theme.

I have never played Gloomhaven. Is this similar? Do you think it might be an evolution of the design? Big map, small map, side quests... deck that you skill test out of.

I am curious what everyone thinks...

The card based combat definitely has shades of gloomhaven.. but really there is only one gloomhaven lol.

I think it is definitely a more adventure based approach to a minis board game than their other titles like MOM, Descent, IA. Looks to be closer to Gloomhaven than anything else they've made yet, I see some tainted grail esque adventure things in there as well.

At first I was disappointed as I've always thought a LoTr version of IA would be so much fun.. but at the same time I'm excited to see something different.

Sounds like they have used some of the ideas from gloomhaven to develop the Descent/IA model. I find this really exciting because FFG have a proven track record of success with these games and using some of the better ideas from gloomhaven seems like a smart way to go.

On 1/11/2019 at 3:44 PM, Dusty27 said:

I have been waiting for a more concise Gloomhaven design in a smaller package with a more mainstream theme.

I have never played Gloomhaven. Is this similar? Do you think it might be an evolution of the design? Big map, small map, side quests... deck that you skill test out of.

I am curious what everyone thinks...

I hope this game is like Gloomhaven....that is the best board game i have ever played (or heard about). I love LotR and hope they make this exciting :)

Maybe more Folklore than Gloomhaven (I hope)

Yea it will lean heavy into the IP. I also like how Tolkien is more traditional fantasy.. because it basically IS traditional fantasy lol.

I'm a elf, orc, dwarf, human kind of guy, a meat and potatoes fantasy fan if you will. Tolkien is just right up my alley.

Plus the artwork is amazing.

The diceless nature is reminiscent of Gloomhaven, especially resolving tests by card draws. So far Mansions of Madness looks to be the biggest influencer, though as more info about the game is released, that could change.

I have been seeing quite a few people comparing it to Gloomhaven, what with it being an adventure co-op game in a fantasy setting. Although I think the biggest difference is the absence of the Legacy elements, which whenever I have been chatting with friends is the biggest turn-off about Gloomhaven (plus it's price). That may be a selling point for people who want to experience fresh campaigns multiple times. I am curious to see how content rich and deep it is, because it may prove to be a great alternative (plus Middle-Earth is my favorite fantasy world, bar none).

I haven't played any of the dungeon crawler co-operative games. I would like to get into one. I'm thinking either Gloomhaven or this one. Is Gloomhaven so amazing that as a gamer I'm going to regret not picking it up?

It depends... gloomhaven is legasy Dungeon gravler. A lot of stuff and the card system is nice. But is it a must game... I would say no.

Edited by Hannibal_pjv

This game has nothing to do whit gloomhaven. Only thing is that use cards not dice.

On 2/12/2019 at 12:29 AM, NukeMaster said:

I haven't played any of the dungeon crawler co-operative games. I would like to get into one. I'm thinking either Gloomhaven or this one. Is Gloomhaven so amazing that as a gamer I'm going to regret not picking it up?

Personally, I’d say that yes, you’ll regret not getting Gloomhaven. We love it; it’s our favorite game EVER, right up there with Imperial Assault.

It’s expensive and it really does require an organization system (there are lots to be found, but tend to be expensive), but it really is unique and compelling. It’s the best co-op game we’ve ever played.

Although expensive, alongside the organizer, Gloomhaven truly is a unique experience, especially due to the Legacy aspects. I know some see it as a negative, but it doesn't stop you from replaying scenarios you've conquered, and still improving your character that way. Sure, the main campaign is not repayable, necessarily (although you CAN buy removable stickers), but as a game, it is amazing, and could literally be the only game you and your group play for at least a year, if not longer. If that's not value in the box, I don't know what is.

Think of Gloomhaven (and this Journeys of Middle Earth seems similar, but for some reason it hasn't grabbed me yet) as a computer role-playing game. You pay around $60 for that, it offers 40+ hours (if it's a good game) of SOLO enjoyment, but for $40 more, you get to enjoy ... I think there are like 900+ scenarios in Gloomhaven, if I'm not mistaken, and they all take around an hour or longer... so the math works ;)

I would say Gloomhaven is pretty cheap considering the amount of content it has. Playtime-wise, with 95 scenarios, it's probably closer to your standard dungeon crawler with five expansions. And you do not need to get one of those fancy organizers. Some small tackle boxes, zip-lock bags and other small cardboard containers work fine.

Anyway, I do not see this being too similar to Gloomhaven. Sure, the influences are there but to me this looks more like a compilation of mechanics from other FFG franchises above anything else. Either way, I'm curious to see how this works out.

The "problem" I have with Gloomhaven is the setup/teardown/book keeping time. I'm hoping the the app for Journeys allows me to spend more time playing the agame nd not wishing I could leave the game set out on the dining table for months at a time just because it's a chore to setup and put away (wife would throw it in the trash). Sorry to sound like a wimp, but sometimes simplicity wins when you only have 2 hours to devote to a game one night a week. Imperial assault sometimes used to have a "chore" feeling to it too, but the AI app alleviated a lot of that.

Edited by HirumaShigure
proofing

I will not play Gloomhaven. It is too much of a commitment. But I do not play RPGs either. I want each individual play of an adventure quest game to be within Mage Knight time parameters per play and an entire scenario play though no longer than an Arkham LCG campaign. LotR Journeys looks to be the kind of game I will like. Also, cards>dice.

I admire Gloomhaven from afar, but the size, price and complexity of it is very intimidating. "Journeys in Middle-Earth", by contrast, seems much more inviting, not only in terms of price, but as well as it being set in a world that I personally adore. This would be my first truly app-driven game, and I am really interested in playing a co-op game that is a bit more devious in it's intelligence (hopefully). I think trying to design an AI system in board games can be tricky, just in that it can be a little hard to wrap your head around how they operate (the Dark Souls Board Game is one that immediately comes to mind, despite how much I love that thing).

A more minor point for me, but perhaps not for others, but I certainly understand the argument that this game doesn't carry the legacy elements that Gloomhaven has. I love the idea of legacy games, but that's me personally, and I love the idea that the app is doing the tracking and bookkeeping for the players.