Player Mats Not Available From FLGS?

By IronNerd, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Game absolutely came as a surprise for me, and it looks like something I will ABSOLUTELY want to pick up. Something bothered me immediately upon reading the article though... You can ONLY get the exclusive Player Mats by ordering through the FFG web store.

Local Game Stores already have a hard enough job keeping the doors open, can we throw them a bone and provide these mats when we pre-order through them? Really hope FFG changes their tune on this one.

I, too was surprised.

I ordered Twilight Imperium and Arkham 3E at my FLGS, and got the collectors books for each.

Maybe it will change.

FWIW the X-wing 2e Core set also had a pre-order bonus—full-sized damage decks—that people were worried wouldn't be available from FLGSs, but ended up being available after all.

It would definitely be nice to see the pre-order mats available elsewhere.

I agree, I'd like to support our local store. Woukd definitely want the player mats.

Are the player mats only intended for the American players, or is there a way to pre-order the game in Europe and still get the mats?

FFG responded on Twitter that only preorders through their online store will get the playmat bonus

Disappointing. I would prefer to preorder through my FLGS to support local business, but am interested in the player mats.

Wrong post

Edited by verdealex79

I wish leadership at their company would value the local retailer. Our local shop spends everyday promoting FFG products, running demos and this type of thing just spits in their face...for what probably equals a very small sum in their annual revenue. Seems so short sighted and I feel sorry for the employees that work at FFG. This is the type of behavior that is very telling about what they value and its obviously not relationships or people. Fairly disgusting.

I, on the other hand, couldn't care less about my local retailer. All he does is Magic tournaments (which I couldn't be less interested in) and doesn't offer interesting products, outside your typical Catan, Dominion and other CCGs. He can't be bothered to order products such as LOTR LCG in its English version, and so on.

The thing that bothers me is that, due to the Asmodee politics, my typical online stores never offer LCGs packs at discount price. So seems they're not supporting either local nor online stores. I don't get it, frankly.