Carn Dum

By Miceldars, in Strategy and deck-building

Seriously, is it possible to win this scenario ? We try at least 15 times with my girlfriend, and even in easy mode and choosing our starting hand, we never put more than 3-4 progress token on the first stage (0 most of the time).

Guys, how did you do this ?

HI this quest I very difficult and requires a specific kind of deck with an uber sentinel defender with shadow cancellation ability and multiple readying effect to defend for both players.

I beat it quite consistently like as many other players with Beregond+song of winsdom+a burning brand+gondorian shield+multiple copies of unexpected courage.

Card draw is pivotal to fetch all attachemt very quickly. I did it with Beravor as lore hero.

You can build 2 decks focused on drawing all the cards needed for the combo by turn 2 or 3.

I don't like this quest so much because it limits the kind of deck k you can bring against it.

If you go on ringdb and search decks using carn dum in the search dexk name filter you can find many different decks posted by player for both solo and multiplayer.

Good luck

When we played it we were using four mono-sphere decks and the Spirit one included The Shadows Give Way which can be pivotal in this quest. We also had a few heroes good for both normal questing and battle questing (like Glorfindel, Aragorn, Mablung, Faramir and so on) so we could clear the Accursed battlefield straight away.

Which decks are you playing with?

Yesterday we tried with two gondor deck to have a good attack power, but we had a lack of willpower and with 2-3 locations in the staging in the first turns we were locked...

It is a complicate scenario. And it is even more complicate with many players (3/4). But it is "just" a complicate scenario. It require you to do many things: questing a lot, defending, attacking, many shadows. But no particular things, so this is not about playing a specific deck. In fact it is not a particular scenario for the most power deck (despire those where you have to scarifying many allies for example). All those deck that bring many allies (tons of allies for some, powerful allies for others) are just fine playing with this scenario. Sure you will have to make many of difficult choices (when sacrificing an ally rather taking the risk to loose a hero, how many to put in quest) and there is some situation where many treachery with surge come up early and Thaurdir make tons of attacks, boost the whole staging area by 6 threat and then you get crushed by the mobs with 6 shadows each. But this it is not that common, so just retry when this come up :).

Since I'm only playing power deck (it is the deck I like to play ^^), I do play against the nightmare version of Carn Dum, who does not add that many difficulties, and so to make it more difficult when we are playing our top decks we add the keyword that trigger Thaurdir to some treachery. So we are far away to being crushed by the quest. If you want the list of those power deck you may find them (only the first 10 of 15 are really power decks, the others are the best I can do with weaker trait, including gondor so I'm not surprised by your lose with gondor deck) :

- Here but a little bit outdated:

Or here, with the topic in french but all the links goes to ringsdb, so all the decklist are in english: http://sdajce.forumactif.org/t6033-des-decks-de-multi-adaptables

Good luck :).

I'm french too :)

Thanks for advices, I will try to find 2 decks that would work... but maybe later. I think we will try cycle 6 first, to see something else

There are two posts you may find helpful. Look for the Very Good Reinforcements post by Seastan. Then also look for the Carn Dum Mastery post by DukeWellington.

Both posts feature core elements that appear to be the strongest options for dealing with Carn Dum.

Those elements being a defensible Lore character with A Burning Brand and lots of action advantage or a pure Leadership deck with Reinforcements.

I've had varying degrees of success with three different decks against Carn Dum. I play progression style so I'm using cards through the Angmar Awakened cycle plus any Saga boxes that happened to drop within that timeframe. I play solo one handed so my reply is from that perspective.

The first deck I managed to win with was Boromir (TDM), Galadriel, and Glorfindel (FoS). This deck focused on buffing Boromir's defense with Gondorian Shield, Arwen the ally, and Captain of Gondor. Galadriel offsets Boromir's threat gain and draws cards. The deck was not very consistent against the scenario. It usually lost due to maxing out on threat. I did get a win with it though so that counts.

I then went in the direction of Lore and Spirit for A Burning Brand and Unexpected Courage. The build that worked for me was Elrond, Aragorn (TWitW) and Glorfindel (FoS). Elrond and Vilya being the cornerstone of the deck. A Burning Brand goes on Elrond as does Unexpected Courage. Elrond and Vilya provide a critical element by allowing a 'free' card each round. This allows key allies like Gandalf (OHaUH) or Beorn to get into play. Glorfindel is there for his stats and Light of Valinor. Aragorn is critical as this deck experiences steep threat gain against Carn Dum while it works to get set up.

Finally I built a Reinforcements deck similar to what Seastan posted. This one worked the best for me. I used Aragorn (Core), Theodred, and Balin. Balin i really like for King Under the Mountain, Narvi's Belt and his ability to deal with shadow effects. The most fun play I made was lobbing Descendant of Thorondor bombs into the staging area. Mustering big allies worked really well here.

I wonder how well an ally spam deck would work here. I might put one together and try it out.

I recently had Mortendall work on this scenario's analysis for Vision of the Palantir. It highlights what you should look out for and gives some good advice on what cards to bring, and what to avoid. You can read the entire articles here: https://visionofthepalantir.com/2019/01/24/the-battle-of-carn-dum/
Hope it helps, but it might still take a few tries to beat this scenario

Thanks, I'll read that some day, when the time will be come to face Carn Dum again 😛