Drokkatta- shrapnel rounds: how does this work?

By VadersMarchKazoo, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

I just have a basic question about Shrapnel rounds. How does this work in campaign?

The way I read it is:

1. You perform an attack on a target.

2. If there is a figure that is not adjacent to the target, but but within 2 spaces of the target, you can exhaust the card to forgo the blast damage on all other figures adjacent to the target (if any are present) and instead put one figures worth of blast damage on a non-adjacent figure (i.e. within 2 spaces).

Is this right? Is is just covering those situations where the single figure you'd like to blast is not adjacent to the target?

Thanks-

Note that an attack can have more Blast values than just the Blast 1 from Shrapnel Rounds.

In effect once per activation, Drokkatta can exhaust Shrapnel Rounds to redirect one or more Blast value to a single figure within 2 spaces of the target space, the attack retaining the remaining Blast values.

Note that this can be performed even when the target of the attack doesn't suffer damage or the attack misses (and thus Blast would not do anything - in which case you can also use Dispersal Shot to recover or add another Blast 1 for Shrapnel Rounds to redirect, depending on the weapon).

10 minutes ago, a1bert said:

in which case you can also use Dispersal Shot to recover or add another Blast 1 for Shrapnel Rounds to redirect, depending on the weapon

That's cool, good suggestions. It does give this more versatility than I was thinking. Thanks!

It’s very good for adding that flexibility...

also makes it harder for the imperial to spread their units out...

On 1/8/2019 at 2:25 PM, VadersMarchKazoo said:

Is this right? Is is just covering those situations where the single figure you'd like to blast is not adjacent to the target?

Thanks-

Yes, but you can also choose an adjacent figure. Within 2 spaces includes adjacent figures as well. It seems redundant but it could be relevant against cards like Power to the Shields that specifically ignores blast but wouldn't ignore the damage from shrapnel.

Or perhaps an ally is adjacent to the target and you’d like to avoid them getting hit by Blast. Don’t forget, the Blast 1 from this attachment isn’t optional.