Monster movement

By pelle74, in Arkham Horror

If a monster has two exactly equal paths towards their goal (for example to the unstable zone) and one is empty an the other is occupied by an investigator wich path does the monster take?

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:16 PM, pelle74 said:

If a monster has two exactly equal paths towards their goal (for example to the unstable zone) and one is empty an the other is occupied by an investigator wich path does the monster take?

202.2g If multiple spaces could be a monster’s destination, the space closer to that monster takes precedence. If one or more of those spaces are the same distance from the monster, the players as a group choose which of those spaces is the monster’s destination.

448.4 If the investigators must make a decision as a group but they do not agree, the leader has the final say.

This comes up often. ;)

That seems straightforward enough, but it's curious to me why the monster wouldn't by default go to the investigator's space in such instances, as opposed to the group deciding where it goes... That just seems odd and almost a cop-out.

FFG has had issues in the past with movement rules, so they simplified everything to the rules as described by Duciris above. The difference being also if the monster is only supposed to go to the unstable location, or if he hunts a specific character type. The Patrol and Lurker types are dastardly with some of their passive abilities.

Yes, that's a very good point. However I think there are several monsters that have kind of fallen through the cracks with this rule, that should go directly to an investigator's space, by default, instead of getting sent by the group harmlessly off to some far corner of the board for no good reason. That rule takes away the thematic feel of what monsters would "really do", at least for me. I like the game overall, and have found it quite difficult to win (I've won once in about 8 tries), so in an accidental way, it's nice to catch a break like that. But where elements like the codex and specific monsters for each scenario contribute greatly to bringing focus to "the narrative", this ruling takes it back in the opposite direction, I think. It doesn't seem like it would have taken too much to add the necessary detail to each specific monster's movement to avert this situation. That's probably being too hyper-critical and I'm sure the company's overall goal is to appeal to an ever-widening audience as opposed to purists like me.

Thank u for the clarification! I think we will try both the group chosing and the monster chosing the space with the investigator to see how it goes.

We been rolling a dice to determine where it goes.

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 1:07 PM, Schmiegel said:

Yes, that's a very good point. However I think there are several monsters that have kind of fallen through the cracks with this rule, that should go directly to an investigator's space, by default, instead of getting sent by the group harmlessly off to some far corner of the board for no good reason. That rule takes away the thematic feel of what monsters would "really do", at least for me. I like the game overall, and have found it quite difficult to win (I've won once in about 8 tries), so in an accidental way, it's nice to catch a break like that. But where elements like the codex and specific monsters for each scenario contribute greatly to bringing focus to "the narrative", this ruling takes it back in the opposite direction, I think. It doesn't seem like it would have taken too much to add the necessary detail to each specific monster's movement to avert this situation. That's probably being too hyper-critical and I'm sure the company's overall goal is to appeal to an ever-widening audience as opposed to purists like me.

I think you're thinking of it wrong. What that monster really wants to do is be at wherever that target is. If it wanted to be hunting the players it would be a hunter with that instruction. They're not all intelligent master minds. Its goal is not to stop us. Its here to purse that single minded instruction. Were I a cultists with 2 places to be and one had jerks waiting to beat my face in when I got there, I'd go to the other one.

Edited by Donel