ToL mission: Race on Ryloth, broken?

By angelman2, in Imperial Assault Campaign

Hi all,

I’ve just played (as Imp) this mission with 4 friends and I’m wondering if anyone else here has tried it? In our campaign it was so unbalanced it was absolutely ridiculous, and the Rebels won without even breaking a sweat. I one round (the 3 rd I think), I had saved up & generated (in various ways) 26 threat worth of deployments and I spent everything, just to see all but an elite Jet Trooper, a Stormtrooper and a dying Greedo being wiped out before the next round was done. This was a trend throughout the mission, and it was so unbalanced I’m suspecting we were doing something wrong…

So how about you guys? Did any of you find this mission ridiculously tilted in the Rebel’s favor, or was it just us? :)

Do you mean playing agenda cards? The threat counter only goes up to 20, any threat above that is lost.

(Usually on missions where the rebels need to get somewhere, saving up that much threat allows the rebels to do that unimpeded.)

Edited by a1bert

No, apparently I cheated and counted the extra threat with a die. So yeah, I cheated and still I got trashed something fierce. (IIRC, I saved points one round, got a double threat reward from an event, and then an end-of-the-round threat increase (and there was an Agenda card too in there somewhere, and I think something else beside [I got +1 threat from something] but I can't quite remember now). In any case, I cheated and spent 26 threat and the Rebels still wiped the floor with me.

My Rebel players agreed that something was off with that mission (likely because we played it wrongly). The 3 free movement point they got, added to 1-2 MP and/or other movement boosts for each hero from various class cards and such, meant they could double attack and concentrate on maximizing their strengths while my poor dudes had to scramble ahead with nowhere to hide and virtually no strategic options available.

It should be noted that my Rebels has started snowballing, and Wildfire's Pin Them Down was devastatingly effective in this mission, so it is possible my Rebels were just too powerful for my efforts in "Race on Ryloth". That, and/or we played it wrong.

Edited by angelman2

What heroes were the Rebels using, and with what items? It may just be that the Rebels have a very strong team and are outfitted well, which can break pretty much any mission.

Heroes: Diala (extra move), Wildfire (stun & extra move), Drokkatta (extra move), and Tress (extra move). I'm starting to believe that my "problem" was simply that this group was uniquely qualified to tackle the race mission. (Can't remember the gear, except that Tress recently got the Bo-Rifle with its surge for stun ability).

one more campaign destroyed by pin them down...

Nope, it was one mission. The campaign is live and healthy, with ca. 33% Imps 66% Rebel Scum win ratio, which is better for the Imps than most campaigns I've played. Your campaign against Pin Them Down (and FFG designers?) is quite unfounded, sir 😛

(Diala's Force Throw and Wildfire's Squad Tactics has been a much greater problem than Pin Them Down).

Edited by angelman2

I also finished the race for ryloth mission in our previous campaign. I was the IP and the rebel squad was Drokatta, CT, Tress and Verena.

I agree, the extra move points did feel like a great help for the rebels, who effectively got a free move action.

It feels that the rebels didn't have to do much thinking, just stay on the new map piece and kill as much as possible. I was playing overwhelming oppression and had the issue that my units on the board got hammered.

I like the concept of the mission, I just don't think there is much for the rebels to do until they reach the final objective

Agreed. Of course, in the shows and such whenever there's a speederbike race or whatever, pursuing Imps tend to die in droves, so the mission is thematic in that way. But when we played it the mission felt a bit pointless; we actually joked that we could've spared ourselves the first part of the mission and just put the heroes on the last map, unwounded and with some strain, and just do the last rounds of the mission.

I also attempted to cover the speed issue by choosing units that get free/extra movement points (Dewback Rider & Jet Troopers, plus some cheap officers to move people around), but they hardly even got to activate most of the time, let alone cause much damage...

But yeah, this would likely have worked much better with a slower crew unable to stun :)

Edited by angelman2

Correct me if I'm wrong, you can't actually bring dewbacks on the mission, no creatures are allowed.

This bit me because I took personal flagship for Terro and couldn't take him due to the no creature rule

Personal Flagship (and Powerful Foes / Leave Them to Me) adds an earned villain's deployment card to the hand after you have chosen open groups, and thus overrides any restrictions put on open groups (such as Open Groups: 0, or restriction on their affiliation or traits).

5 hours ago, LordDraigo1 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, you can't actually bring dewbacks on the mission, no creatures are allowed.

You're correct... I forgot about it. I refrained from bringing super-fast Nexu but forgot that the Dewback Rider is a creature. Well, that's the second way I cheated in that mission, and I still lost like a big old looser, heh heh.

Personally, I brought Greedo as my free earned villain, and that was loads of fun. I got huge use out of him and he was pretty funny to keep bringing back :)

On 1/13/2019 at 3:20 PM, angelman2 said:

You're correct... I forgot about it. I refrained from bringing super-fast Nexu but forgot that the Dewback Rider is a creature. Well, that's the second way I cheated in that mission, and I still lost like a big old looser, heh heh.

Personally, I brought Greedo as my free earned villain, and that was loads of fun. I got huge use out of him and he was pretty funny to keep bringing back :)

Sounds like you cheated again, villains that are defeated don’t return to the hand.

we haven’t played this one, but so far all the missions in Lothal have felt pretty unfair against the Rebels and easy Imperial wins. I feel like it’s partly incorrect threat levels and only 2xp instead of the normal 3, but a lot of the maps have major design flaws also that contribute to inflating the difficulty.

Wait, I can't bring back the villain I earned with Personnel Flagship once he's been defeated in the campaign? It's a one mission villain? I didn't get that at all from the card.

Rebels won most missions in our game, but we played it as an extended 14 mission campaigns to things were very different from the official version. What map design flaws have you found?

Edited by angelman2
40 minutes ago, angelman2 said:

Wait, I can't bring back the villain I earned with Personnel Flagship once he's been defeated in the campaign? It's a one mission villain? I didn't get that at all from the card.

Rebels won most missions in our game, but we played it as an extended 14 mission campaigns to things were very different from the official version. What map design flaws have you found?

All unique figures, such as Darth Vader, Greedo can't be re-deployed once defeated in the same mission

You're free to bring it back next mission but within the same mission no: once he's dead he's dead

Ah, I understand the confusion. I meant that I got a lot out of Greedo as he tended to show up in every mission. I didn't redeploy him in the same mission once defeated; no, Greedo just limped home to lick his wounds and come back to fight again in the next one.

Hallo, I’ve to play this mission and I have a doubt: where I can deploy my imperial figures? Only in the black point and only in the southern section? In this case, this mission is really very difficult.

Thanks

• Imperial figures can deploy to the southernmost section.
I don't have the mission in front of me, but the web says the mission rule allows to deploy to any space in the southernmost section. (See deploying on a tile.) The black points are for aligning the sections properly if I recall correctly.
4 minutes ago, a1bert said:
I don't have the mission in front of me, but the web says the mission rule allows to deploy to any space in the southernmost section . (See deploying on a tile.) The black points are for aligning the sections properly if I recall correctly.

What @a1bert said :)

8 hours ago, a1bert said:
I don't have the mission in front of me, but the web says the mission rule allows to deploy to any space in the southernmost section. (See deploying on a tile.) The black points are for aligning the sections properly if I recall correctly.

Thanks very much!

So, deploying on a tile means that each figure in a group (i.e. stormtroopers) can deploy to any space or not? In other words, each stormtrooper can deploy far from the the others?

Just now, Yuna1979 said:

So, deploying on a tile means that each figure in a group (i.e. stormtroopers) can deploy to any space

Yes. And in this case in any space of the southern section of the map.

Edit: Note that these forums are going away in a few days, see you at boardgamegeek.com .

Edited by a1bert
12 hours ago, a1bert said:

Yes. And in this case in any space of the southern section of the map.

Mmm....I think this rule does not apply to the initial optional deployment. In fact, the mission's "Deploy and Setup" box says: "Increase the threat by double the threat level and resolve an optional deployment." Since this box is resolved before "Mission Briefing" (that now include the rule about the southern section of the map), I think that during the setup phase I can deploy my troops in the northernmost section. It's correct?

Edited by Yuna1979
56 minutes ago, Yuna1979 said:

Mmm....I think this rule does not apply to the initial optional deployment. In fact, the mission's "Deploy and Setup" box says: "Increase the threat by double the threat level and resolve an optional deployment." Since this box is resolved before "Mission Briefing" (that now include the rule about the southern section of the map), I think that during the setup phase I can deploy my troops in the northernmost section. It's correct?

Now, that would be a house rule. There is nothing in the text to indicate you can deploy in the northernmost section (and the black "deployment" point is not used as a deployment point in this scenario). The only placement indicator is the mission rule: "Imperial figures can deploy to the southermost section". Had there been any green deployment points anywhere on the map, you could've deployed to those but since there are none you have to follow the mission rule indicator.

In short, the Imperial Player always place all deployments freely to the southernmost section (observing normal deployment rules, i.e. you can't deploy to impossible terrain or occupied spaces and such).

PS: I do agree, though, that the placement inducator should be included in the Deploy and Setup brief for clarity.

Edited by angelman2

in my opinion, as there is no placement indicator at the time of setup and there are no deployment points on the map, the general rule applies that you can deploy anywhere on the map during the setup.

Edited by Yuna1979
1 hour ago, Yuna1979 said:

in my opinion, as there is no placement indicator at the time of setup and there are no deployment points on the map, the general rule applies that you can deploy anywhere on the map during the setup.

There is no general rule like that anywhere. If otherwise not specified, you can only deploy to active deployment points. Only green points are active at the start of a mission.

I agree there's an issue with the initial setup requiring you to look at the persistent rules of the mission briefing. However, there are no active deployment points, so you can only deploy to spaces specified by that mission rule.

Edited by a1bert
Reported to FFG for potential errata / next FAQ