Lie in ambush

By ONEnONLY1, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

What are the best figures to use lie in ambush on and why?

Jet troopers are good, they can do a lot of damage to the backline and are reasonably likely to be able to then hide.

Sentries are good as they get two shots each when they drop in.

Trandoshans can work, they get the bonuses from being close, but can be played around as your opponent knows it’s coming.

Anything melee is at a bit of a disadvantage as it’s easier to play around them.

I’ve been told to try Rangers in Ambush. Should apparently be very good...

On 1/1/2019 at 2:28 PM, Doowa said:

I’ve been told to try Rangers in Ambush. Should apparently be very good...

maybe? They lose a lot by not getting access to focus, but there's nothing wrong with trying it out. you're likely to have a few of the hunter cards by the time you deploy them

Hmm rangers are an interesting one. I suspect you won’t get the most out of them asFigjtwookies suggests. Not only will you miss focus, you may also struggle to get the reroll shots, rangers on blue blue with no rerolls aren’t great.

9 hours ago, ffmonkey said:

Hmm rangers are an interesting one. I suspect you won’t get the most out of them asFigjtwookies suggests. Not only will you miss focus, you may also struggle to get the reroll shots, rangers on blue blue with no rerolls aren’t great.

I played against them at my last tournament, and it was actually pretty good. You can easily position them to move back 4 spaces and so, get the reroll. There's a good chance at least one of them will be hidden after the attacks and Gideon can focus for next round (in necessary) on unlimited range. On top, you don't just clear out 3 rangers in your backyard. They are pretty tough still.

Rangers can't attack on round 1 if they're in reserve. That may sound obvious, but a big part of the Rangers strength is the immense pressure they exert over the battlefield from the very first turn which dictates where the opponent can safely place their figures if they don't want to get destroyed by a round 1 long-range hunter volley. The opponent is much more free to roam about their side of the map and score objectives without having to worry about sniper fire until mid round 2.