Reinforcements

By Viper114, in Horus Heresy

I've been reading the rules, getting ready to demo the game for our store, but I have a question regarding how each player gets new units during the game. I know there are Order cards that allow players to get things like Imperial Army, Imperial Tanks, Titans, Cultists and Daemons, but how about Space Marines on either side? There doesn't seem to be any indication about getting more of them. And is there any way to get any units outside of Order cards?

And in the first scenario, it shows the Imperial player having all five Heroes, but the Traitor player only having Horus, Angron and Mortarion. Where are Fulgrim and Magnus? Do they have the ability to show up later or what?

Viper114 said:

And in the first scenario, it shows the Imperial player having all five Heroes, but the Traitor player only having Horus, Angron and Mortarion. Where are Fulgrim and Magnus? Do they have the ability to show up later or what?

Page 31.

Introducing Heroes to Play
Some Heroes begin play on the main map board according
to the chosen scenario’s setup instructions. Heroes for
which a given scenario does not provide setup instructions
start in their owner’s stockpile.
Heroes that do not begin the game in play can be introduced
from their owner’s stockpile any time their owner
is entitled to place units on the main map board from his
stockpile, such as when the Traitor player executes a “Drop
Pods” or “Port Landing” order, or when the event “The
Righteous Heed the Call” is drawn. The placement of a
Hero in this way does not “use up” any of the player’s
capacity to place units; the Hero placement is an additional
benefit. For example, when executing a “Drop Pods” order,
the Traitor player can introduce up to three Chaos Space
Marines and/or Chaos Thunderhawk Flight units as well as
any Heroes from his stockpile that he wishes.
Heroes cannot be eliminated by defense lasers.

Viper114 said:

I've been reading the rules, getting ready to demo the game for our store, but I have a question regarding how each player gets new units during the game. I know there are Order cards that allow players to get things like Imperial Army, Imperial Tanks, Titans, Cultists and Daemons, but how about Space Marines on either side? There doesn't seem to be any indication about getting more of them. And is there any way to get any units outside of Order cards?

tech7's response about heroes is all the info you need on that matter.

As for Space Marines, all of the loyalist marines will be on the table according to the setup diagram (assuming Brother vs. Brother). The Traitor Marines can be brought down using Port Landing and Drop Pod cards. Port Landing allows you to place 6 "ranks" of units in a friendly or neutral space port I IIRC (12 "ranks" if played from the strategic map) and Drop Pods allow you to place up to 3 units of Space Marines and/or Thunderhawks. These cards are key in allowing the Traitor player to bring his forces into play. Also as tech7's rulebook quote shows, these are two of the ways reserved Heroes are brought into play.

Yes, the Loyalists are largely deployed at the beginning of the game. Whereas the lion's share of the Traitor forces can be deployed where they see fit. It's an interesting mechanic which leaves the strategy to the Chaos player each game.

Ah, I see, I missed that part. Thanks for that.

Originally, I had thought that by the looks of the cards, the Traitor player could call in forces repeatedly at a rate that the Imperial player couldn't. And that's still true, but what I had also thought that forces recycled, so that they can always be called upon. I re-read the rules and saw anything that dies is removed and can't return. So I see that basically each individual figure is available to play once, and can't ever return. That makes a bit more sense, otherwise the Traitor player could endlessly cycle Space Marines moreso than the Imperial player could...