[Ruling] Back-Alley Hideaway

By Bayushi Shunsuke, in L5R LCG: Rules Discussion

With the addition to the Character Cards section in the RRG, does Back-Alley Hideaway still allow you to play a character from underneath it outside of the Dynasty phase?
(Previously, Nate has ruled that the Action can be used during any Action Window http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37719-back-alley-hideaway/ )

Just now, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

With the addition to the Character Cards section in the RRG, does Back-Alley Hideaway still allow you to play a character from underneath it outside of the Dynasty phase?
(Previously, Nate has ruled that the Action can be used during any Action Window http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37719-back-alley-hideaway/ )

Characters cannot be played outside of the dynasty phase with BAH. This overrules Nate’s previous ruling.

[Tyler Parrott: December 27, 2018]

Ouch, that severely limits he usefulness.

On 1/18/2019 at 7:54 AM, Tomello said:

Ouch, that severely limits he usefulness.

I disagree.

BAH was/is an already powerful card. I don’t think it is being thrown into a limited usefulness bag at all. (then again, I can say this regarding many of the Scorpion cards)

On 1/19/2019 at 7:09 PM, LordBlunt said:

I disagree.

BAH was/is an already powerful card. I don’t think it is being thrown into a limited usefulness bag at all. (then again, I can say this regarding many of the Scorpion cards)

Could you elaborate? I think BAH letting me pass early in the dynasty phase to get that extra fate was its primary strength. I understand character fixing is nice to keep useful bodies available, but getting and keeping a fate advantage is better imp.

1 hour ago, Tomello said:

Could you elaborate? I think BAH letting me pass early in the dynasty phase to get that extra fate was its primary strength. I understand character fixing is nice to keep useful bodies available, but getting and keeping a fate advantage is better imp.

I think your mixing up Back Alley Hideaway and Hidden Moon Dojo. BAH lets you save a character that was leaving play and then replay them from the holding in a later turn. HMD gives the massive fate advantage by turning dynasty characters into conflict characters.

Per the previous ruling one could play characters outside the dynasty phase from BAH. Letting one pass faster. The new ruling doesn't let one use BAH outside of the dynasty phase, no passing faster, no fate advantage. Being able to use BAH in the draw phase or between conflicts, was imo its biggest strength. Now if one uses it to save a conflict character from being discarded, one can only play that character during dynasty.

I know the difference between HMD and BAH, I am talking a out the new ruling VS old ruling. 😁

Question about Back-Alley Hideaway (BAH) and Disguised.

If a character with Disguised gets attached to BAH via its Interrupt, can if be later played with Disguised during the conflict phase by using BAH's Action?

Just now, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

Question about Back-Alley Hideaway (BAH) and Disguised.

If a character with Disguised gets attached to BAH via its Interrupt, can if be later played with Disguised during the conflict phase by using BAH's Action?

If you trigger Back-Alley Hideaway’s action during the conflict phase, you may (in fact, you must) play that character using its disguised keyword. (Without the disguised keyword, you would only be able to trigger the Hideaway during the dynasty phase.)

[Tyler Parrott, Apr 30 2020]