Summary and questions of first tutorial play through.

By Redwing634, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

Just finished a 2 hero vs stormtrooper / officer play through. Heros were gaarkhan and jyn odan. It seemed near impossible for the imperial to win. Gaarkhan could move 8 spaces and attack twice on each turn (4+attack for special, and 1 normal attack) which led to the stormtroopers dying just before making it to terminal 1. The officer tried to run down the long hall to get the other, but with gaarkhan moving 8 times, he had no chance.

Also jyn got the supply crate which was a frag grenade which allowed her to roll a red die and killed a trooper without any chance of defense.

Is it normal for the heroes to so easily win the tutorial? I recognize it's not about winning, but to learn... But unsure if we did something incorrectly.

Additionally, are there some good resources / videos that go over the basics? We found the tutorial info in the tutorial manual left a lot of questions. Like telling us to place the hero class cards next to the heros but then never using them. Likewise, condition tokens were never used (still don't really know what each of them are)

1. It's a tutorial, it's not supposed to be balanced, just to show the mechanisms.

2. Yes, two heroes is swingy - some missions will be easier and some harder. The game is regarded best with 4 heroes (3 heroes is already much better).

Note that using Charge will quickly cause Gaarkhan to be strained up to his endurance and he becomes much less effective. That is sort of his Achilles heel actually.

I have listed some resources here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/218205/a1berts-imperial-assault-play-forum-campaigns

Some are generic (common mistakes, the Consolidated Imperial Assault Rules), while others are specifically for playing the game online on BoardGameGeek. There's also an intro from Shut Up & Sit Down, which is pretty good with very few mistakes.

My best tips: You are going to make mistakes, you just need to correct them for future plays. Skim/read through the Rules Reference Guide, especially the campaign setup section, then play Aftermath. Then read the Rules Reference Guide. If you are the imperial player, you might read one of the Play By Forum playthroughs of Aftermath beforehand to see what to expect.

Google "imperial assault question yyy" and you'll probably find something applicable from BoardGameGeek or from here. Check out BoardWars.eu and join the discord server for "realtime replies".

a) Heroes and imperial player gain their class card that has no XP cost at the start of the campaign.
b) The condition tokens and cards come to play if the attack has any of the condition keywords (or abilities assign a condition directly) - see Conditions from RRG.
c) And don't forget to read the second page of the campaign book with and for the rebels. It contains a few things not found elsewhere. (I have copied these to the Consolidated IA Rules document - direct link http://www.iki.fi/a1bert/TheConsolidatedImperialAssaultRules.pdf .)

Edited by a1bert