Another Question for the Writers: The Great Fortunes

By KakitaKaori, in Lore Discussion

Hi! Got another question for the RPG Authors!

In the main 5th Edition Core Book, Eight Great Fortunes are listed, including Kisshoten, Fortune of Happiness, Fertility, and Beauty.

In the Emerald Empire Book, only Seven Great Fortunes are listed, and Kisshoten is not mentioned.

In New5R, are there seven or eight great fortunes? Is Kisshoten around?

Thank you!

Another good question. Again, I didn't work on the relevant part of either of those books, but I suspect it's just an error. I'll ping the other writers again, but being the Christmas season, they've no doubt got other priorities...I'm sure you'll get an answer as soon as it can be offered.

19 hours ago, KakitaKaori said:

Hi! Got another question for the RPG Authors!

In the main 5th Edition Core Book, Eight Great Fortunes are listed, including Kisshoten, Fortune of Happiness, Fertility, and Beauty.

In the Emerald Empire Book, only Seven Great Fortunes are listed, and Kisshoten is not mentioned.

In New5R, are there seven or eight great fortunes? Is Kisshoten around?

Thank you!

There is a map earlier in Emerald Empire which has a Temple to Kisshoten in it, but yeah. The absence of Kisshoten in the section on the Great Fortunes is something I actually called out in my review, and I would greatly like to have this clarified as well.

1 hour ago, sndwurks said:

There is a map earlier in Emerald Empire which has a Temple to Kisshoten in it, but yeah. The absence of Kisshoten in the section on the Great Fortunes is something I actually called out in my review, and I would greatly like to have this clarified as well.

or why the Emerald Magistrate title in the core book is lower status than the Clan Magistrate title in the EE book ?

some questions are better left unanswered... maybe they purposefully made mistakes in the page numbering of the FAQ/Errata pdf to hint us that everything should not be taken so seriously? Great product though, just a few cables not plugged in the right places. That is the charm of it though, it is basically the beauty in imperfection, the human struggle and all that.

There are some mistakes. Overall I'm not trying to nitpick...especially in this thread. Just trying to clear up some basic lore things that have been left in a particularly confusing fashion.

The book overall is very good. I'd done a ton of work to plug some fundamental holes in the universe that needed to be plugged. This book clearly recognized the same holes, and plugged them in a different fashion (using as its source a period a little later in Japanese history than I did). It's a little depressing to have my work overwritten, but I'm happy to have a source book that so solidly plugs the holes. I'll just have to pick up and go on.

Barring an official response I would assume that most people in Rokugan believe that Kisshoten is part of the “Big 8.” After all there is an advantage called Kisshoten’s Blessing. There might be 1,000+ Fortunes, but only 8 of them are important enough to grant advantages to Pzc samurai in the Core Book! 😉

But I think a fun and fantastic idea might be for stodgy and hide bound elite Samurai to be dismissive of her. Since happiness and beauty aren’t really part of Bushido. There might be a minority of people who think she’s the least of the Big 8...or even that there are really only *really* 7 Major Fortunes.

Just an idea and two cents.

3 hours ago, Void Crane said:

Barring an official response I would assume that most people in Rokugan believe that Kisshoten is part of the “Big 8.” After all there is an advantage called Kisshoten’s Blessing. There might be 1,000+ Fortunes, but only 8 of them are important enough to grant advantages to Pzc samurai in the Core Book! 😉

But I think a fun and fantastic idea might be for stodgy and hide bound elite Samurai to be dismissive of her. Since happiness and beauty aren’t really part of Bushido. There might be a minority of people who think she’s the least of the Big 8...or even that there are really only *really* 7 Major Fortunes.

Just an idea and two cents.

And not without precedent. In older editions, there was some talk about specific Lion not considering Benten to be a major Fortune.

For the longest time it was the 7 Great Fortunes. (at least from 2ed up til 4ed and only with 5ed it seemed to have changed) So if you want to play with her being part of it and always having been there, that is totally fine although I find her kind of redundant with Benten the Fortune of Romantic Love (described as incredibly beautfiul) and Hotei the Fortune of Contentment (which is the more revered form of happiness in Rokugan, so to say) already being part of the great 7. But in the end it is your Rokugan, so adding here doesn't seem to be a big problem. The only thing interesting would be if you implement some kind of a story of her joining just now the great 7 to become the great 8. All kinds of stories could come to mind up to some kind of Gaijin influence as Void Crane said that happiness as we see it is not really something incredibly revered in Rokugan as it kind of contradicts the concept of On (Face).

But in the end it's your table and you can come up with anything you like.

it is all part of the cute anime masterplan, bring a girl fortune named Kiss-Hot-en and a minor clan of the cat with a family name starting with Neko.

Just bumping so the question is not forgotten.

Hopeful bump? Maybe there's some other way I should be asking.

In the Beta, there was a short discussion about the 7/8 Great Fortunes. It noted that in some areas, Kisshoten replaces Furokurokujin.

On 1/19/2019 at 2:23 PM, Hida Jitenno said:

In the Beta, there was a short discussion about the 7/8 Great Fortunes. It noted that in some areas, Kisshoten replaces Furokurokujin.

Huh. Just checked and yup, you are correct. The mystery continues...

On 1/19/2019 at 1:23 PM, Hida Jitenno said:

This is stated in some of the earlier edition's as well, I believe.