Did I make mistake buying force awakens core set?

By Redwing634, in X-Wing Squad Builder

Have been wanting to get into this game for some time but finally pulled the trigger when I saw the core set on sale at the local shop. Not until I got home did I find out there are multiple core sets... Is the force awakens core set worth keeping / starting with, or should I be returning it and only starting with "2.0 core set"?

Also is slave 1 still a worthwhile ship? Or tie fighter/FO? (these were also on sale)

6 hours ago, Redwing634 said:

Have been wanting to get into this game for some time but finally pulled the trigger when I saw the core set on sale at the local shop. Not until I got home did I find out there are multiple core sets... Is the force awakens core set worth keeping / starting with, or should I be returning it and only starting with "2.0 core set"?

Also is slave 1 still a worthwhile ship? Or tie fighter/FO? (these were also on sale)

If you're going for First Order, a Force Awakens core set is worth keeping since you've got two TIE/fo's. Which are pretty good in 2.0.

Add in a First Order Conversion kit, and you can now field those two TIE/fos without buying any more TIE/fo kits.

You do need the 2.0 core set to properly play 2.0 (I think the Damage deck was changed).

1 TFA core set and 1 2.0 core set, means you've got extra asteroids, so you have more choice about which asteroids to use, and you've got extra dice (you really need more than just one core-set's worth of dice), and you've got extra templates (so if you accidentally break one, you've still got a spare).

I'm told Slave One is pretty good - but it's not available to the Empire any more - so you'd need Scum & Villainy ships for it to go with.

It really comes down to factions. In version 1.0, there were three factions: Rebel, Imperial, and Scum. Resistance was a part of Rebels and First Order a part of Imperials. In 2.0, there are now five factions: Rebel, Imperial, Scum, Resistance, and First Order. In the spring, there will be another two Clone Wars factions released - Republic and CIS - bringing the total to seven factions.

OK, with that knowledge, the first thing you should ask yourself is are you going to play with other established X-wing players or are you going to play casually on your own or with family/friends to start? If you're playing with established players, you'll only need enough for one faction. If you're playing on your own, you'll want enough for at least two.

With that said, I'd advise returning that Force Awakens core set unless you want your primary factions to be Resistance and First Order, but let's go through your options.

1. Keeping the Force Awakens core:

• You like the new movies and don't mind playing these newer ships instead of the classics.
  • You get the advantages mentioned like extra asteroids and extra dice and have a few ships to start.
  • The X-wing in your set has stationary wings. The new X-wings (both classic and Resistance) have flappy, moveable wings that open and close.
  • You're still going to need a 2.0 starter set for the damage deck, templates (which are slightly different), new tokens, etc.
  • Competitively, X-wing is moving to two formats - Extended (including EVERYTHING ever made) and Hyperspace (just the new ships released or re-released). Most game stores will be running tournaments in Hyperspace. What does this mean? Everything in Resistance and First Order will be Hyperspace legal, meaning if you were picking two factions to start from scratch and play competitive X-wing, these two would be a good choice. The older factions like Rebel, Imperial, and Scum are hampered a bit at the moment waiting for the re-release of a lot of ships. Keep in mind, there are a few Resistance and FO ships that haven't been re-released yet, but hopefully sooner rather than later so you don't need to buy old and convert. If you did buy and convert, they are Hyperspace legal, unlike a lot of old Rebel, Imperial, and Scum ships.

2. Return TFA set and just buy a core 2.0 starter:

• You get into the game with just the new product and can start with Rebels or Imperials.
  • Everything you buy in 2.0 will be legal for the different tournament formats without buying any conversion kits.
  • You can buy a pack of extra dice and the 2.0 set comes with 6 obstacles. You won't need more obstacles unless you get really competitive.

To answer your last question, yes the Firespray (Slave 1) is a top-tier ship now (Boba Fett is seeing perhaps the most play of any ship in X-wing 2.0 Extended format.) BUT, it is only a Scum ship now, so you'd need to play that faction. If I were you, I'd pick one or two factions and then figure out your cheapest path to playing. If you decide on what they are, post again and I can probably give you some good advice on what to buy.

Right, if you want to play 2.0 X-Wing you need a 2.0 Core Set (or will have to buy a loose 2.0 Damage Deck and a set of 2.0 compatible movement templates), plus the 2.0 Core is the best (and for some factions the only) place to find Force Power upgrades.

Given that, it's probably best to take the TFA Core Set back and exchange for the 2.0 Core Set, unless you'd want to also grab the 2.0 Core Set on top of what you already have. If you plan on playing the First Order or the Resistance, the ships in the TFA Core Set might be a good deal depending on how cheap the TFA Core Set was, but if you're not eyeing the First Order or Resistance as main factions definitely take it back.

You haven't made a mistake but you may have made a sub-optimum choice.

Keeping that 1st Edition TFA core set and getting a 2nd Ed. expansion of each of T-70 and First Order TIE is going to probably allow you to field all of your ships without getting a conversion kit in 2nd Edition games. An expansion is only one model but it will have more than one pilot card and ship token in it so having more than one model you'll be able to field the model from the TFA core set along with the model in the 2nd ED. expansion.

But it otherwise depends on how you are intending to play. To play 2nd Ed. you need a 2nd Ed. core set. Then to play 2nd you'll need to decide how much you want to spend and how fast you want to spend it on. Either getting a used 1st Edition collection and upgrading with conversion kits, a used upgraded 1st or used all 2nd Edition collection, getting a conversion kit and adding new 1st Edition expansions (perhaps on sale like your TFA core,) or just getting 2nd Edition expansions. Of course you can also just get 1st Edition and play that.

And playing casually most guys will let you field the TFA core models as Imperial or Rebel till you get your 2nd Ed. collection built up.

13 hours ago, Frimmel said:

Keeping that 1st Edition TFA core set and getting a 2nd Ed. expansion of each of T-70 and First Order TIE is going to probably allow you to field all of your ships without getting a conversion kit in 2nd Edition games. An expansion is only one model but it will have more than one pilot card and ship token in it so having more than one model you'll be able to field the model from the TFA core set along with t  he model in the 2nd ED. expansion.

It will have the cards and cardboard, but you're still missing a dial right?

2 hours ago, HedgehogNL said:

It will have the cards and cardboard, but you're still missing a dial right?

Yes, but there aren't any changes except the greens to blue are there? Just to come to game night/day and play 2nd Edition it should be fine. He's still short some ships overall though (although you can get Poe up to 109 points alone.) It is a sub-optimum purchase but salvageable depending on the deal he got. A set of dice is eight bucks on their own afterall.

8 hours ago, Frimmel said:

Yes, but there aren't any changes except the greens to blue are there? Just to come to game night/day and play 2nd Edition it should be fine. He's still short some ships overall though (although you can get Poe up to 109 points alone.) It is a sub-optimum purchase but salvageable depending on the deal he got. A set of dice is eight bucks on their own afterall.

Dials have been changed from 1st to 2nd edition. The dice are still good and the models if you get the appropriate conversion kit, other than that nothing else crosses over into 2nd edition.

14 hours ago, Marinealver said:

Dials have been changed from 1st to 2nd edition. The dice are still good and the models if you get the appropriate conversion kit, other than that nothing else crosses over into 2nd edition.

The 2nd Ed. T-70 and First Order TIE have different maneuvers from 1st or just the change of green maneuvers now being blue maneuvers? If it's just green to blue I'd let him use a 1st Ed. dial at casual night. (I haven't actually checked since I don't intend to convert Resistance or First Order.)

I'd also allow the rocks and range ruler and templates and just loan mine when we needed to resolve a bump or barrel roll and needed the line. I'd even let the tokens go to get started. Yes, nothing crosses over but to get started you can make it work.

Starting from scratch he's probably better off going ONLY 2nd Ed. expansions because as you note few things cross over.

I'm also going off the idea he can't return the TFA core. If he were in my group I'd get him to come and play a game where I'd bring the squads. If he liked it, I'd tell him to get a 2nd Ed. Resistance A-wing, a 2nd Ed. Resistance T-70, use the TFA core T-70 with the 1e dial and additional ship tokens and pilots from the T-70 expansion put together a squad and come play on Tuesdays where I'd loan him a 2nd Ed. damage deck (I got the 2nd Ed. core and the promo ones.) Then he's playing and he can then add a 2nd Ed. core maybe talk a guy out of an extra t-70 2nd Ed. dial from a conversion kit and figure out how he wants to fill out his collection.

I'm also looking at this from a building the group stand point. You got to get guys playing. Get guys playing then the rest will sort itself out (like the group shaming the FLGS into a discount on a 2nd Ed. core or the previously recommended expansions since they didn't tell him what was what in the first place.)

The guy spent money on X-wing because he wants to play. I'd get him to come play. It doesn't have to be perfect. We'd make it work.

Edited by Frimmel
didn't proof read
5 hours ago, Frimmel said:

The 2nd Ed. T-70 and First Order TIE have different maneuvers from 1st or just the change of green maneuvers now being blue maneuvers? If it's just green to blue I'd let him use a 1st Ed. dial at casual night. (I haven't actually checked since I don't intend to convert Resistance or First Order.)

I'd also allow the rocks and range ruler and templates and just loan mine when we needed to resolve a bump or barrel roll and needed the line. I'd even let the tokens go to get started. Yes, nothing crosses over but to get started you can make it work.

Starting from scratch he's probably better off going ONLY 2nd Ed. expansions because as you note few things cross over.

I'm also going off the idea he can't return the TFA core. If he were in my group I'd get him to come and play a game where I'd bring the squads. If he liked it, I'd tell him to get a 2nd Ed. Resistance A-wing, a 2nd Ed. Resistance T-70, use the TFA core T-70 with the 1e dial and additional ship tokens and pilots from the T-70 expansion put together a squad and come play on Tuesdays where I'd loan him a 2nd Ed. damage deck (I got the 2nd Ed. core and the promo ones.) Then he's playing and he can then add a 2nd Ed. core maybe talk a guy out of an extra t-70 2nd Ed. dial from a conversion kit and figure out how he wants to fill out his collection.

I'm also looking at this from a building the group stand point. You got to get guys playing. Get guys playing then the rest will sort itself out (like the group shaming the FLGS into a discount on a 2nd Ed. core or the previously recommended expansions since they didn't tell him what was what in the first place.)

The guy spent money on X-wing because he wants to play. I'd get him to come play. It doesn't have to be perfect. We'd make it work.

You are right some of the dials haven't changed, of course it is hard to track which ones have and which ones haven't. I don't thin the T-70 has changed, if not then slap a dial upgrade kit on it and call it good.

It is a valid point that he did spend money on something and he should be able to play it. But say if you bought Arkham Horror 2nd edition, then you can play 2nd edition. Same for Twilight Imperium 3rd edition. There is nothing wrong with still playing X-wing 1st edition, all those that play epic still do. But as you said, make it work.

Edited by Marinealver

If you bought it when it came out? Nah.

If you bought it now?

Er... Yeah.

Thanks for all the responses. It was purchased for $9, so not a bad deal but yeah I'd rather get the 2nd core set. I'll probably sell this one locally if I can get more than $10,and if not, just return it and keep an eye out for 2nd core set.

For $9 I would keep it, I pay more for the dice alone 😂 Then you'll have some extra obstacles that aren't in the 2.0 core set and an extra range ruler. Maybe you can even sell the models to somebody that's going to convert to 2.0 or wants them for painting or modification.

Not a mistake, by any means. Ships are ships, and you've got dice and basic templates and a usable damage deck (for any casual play).

Long term, it's totally up to you if you want to grab a new core so you can have that new damage deck to use for official 2.0 ffg organized play tournaments.

You're gonna decide if you don't mind collecting a little bit from various factions or if you want to stick to one as you collect.

All those choices are whenever you feel like it, or never.

It's a great game, no matter how ya play.

If I do keep core... What about slave 1 expansion? That one should be sold/returned? Also got for $9

21 hours ago, Redwing634 said:

If I do keep core... What about slave 1 expansion? That one should be sold/returned? Also got for $9

I take this is the 1st edition one? Well 2 Firespray lists were not very popular even with the Scum faction after wave 6. You might find someone who would sell or even give you the extra dial and the tiles from their conversion kit. Jsut keep in mind the Firespray is Scum only, there won't be anything for the Firespray in the Empire conversion kit.