Terrinoth Bestiary

By Justindoodler, in Realms of Terrinoth

2 hours ago, Flobio said:

Here's my first attempt at converting a Hero's of Terrinoth adversary.

Goblin Archer (Rival)

Goblins are a cowardly but avaricious lot and won't back down from enriching themselves if the odds are in their favor.

Brwn - 2, Agi - 3, Int - 1, Cun -2, WP - 2, Pr - 2

Soak 3 - Wounds - 14 - Def M0/R1

Skills - Deception, Perception, Survival 2, Range 2

Talents - None

Abilities - Dark Vision (when making skill checks, goblins remove up to 2 setback imposed due to darkness), Goblin shot (goblin archer inflict 2 additional damage with successful range attacks on prone or immobilized targets)

Equipment: Bow (Ranged; Damage 7; Critical 3; Range [Medium]; Unwieldy 2); pointy teeth (Brawl; Damage 3; Critical 3; Range [Engaged]; Vicious 1), grimy leather armor (+1 soak, +1 range defense).

Really Mean little bugger. Like the bite Thing 😀 if i could make one suggestion would be to add a rank of stealth. Think it need some traps and sneaking. Ofc a GM could just add that 😁

I updated my post. Would it be possible to add it to your document? I really like what you're putting together? I have others I'll post here as I can get to them.

4 hours ago, Flobio said:

I updated my post. Would it be possible to add it to your document? I really like what you're putting together? I have others I'll post here as I can get to them.

Ofc you i will. Done as a matter of fact.

New version up. Im nearing the end of the original list so if anyone know of anymore critters in the Terrinoth universe that should be added please let me know :) @Flobio would love to add any other heros you convert. Ill do some formatting next week and clean things up abit i think and bring this project to version 1.0 might start a new thread so that the link appear at the top lets think about that.

For the river watch riders i ended up doing one that was a bit more horse/mount focus then Baronial knight. The Roc i did not do since the text on page 105 of ROT says. "Throughout history, a number of flying creatures have been
bred and trained as mounts, including the rocs of Baron Hadrian and the Yeron of the Latari Elves" So i assumed these stats where meant to represent any kind of flying mount in the game.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jFquSzJMrJPCnY19eSIWrjHNBv40xc2j

Project now contains 31 unique monster from Terrionth converted from the Decent, Battle lore or Runewars game

• Arachyura (rival)
  • Barrow Wyrm (nemesis)
  • Blood Ape (rival)
  • Bone Horror (minion)
  • Broodwalker (minion)
  • Broodwalker Swarm (rival)
  • Carrion Drake (minion)
  • Cave Spider (minion)
  • Chaos Beast (nemesis)
  • Dark Minotaur (nemesis)
  • Dark Priest (nemesis)
  • Demon Lord (nemesis)
  • Doombringer (rival)
  • Ettin (nemesis)
  • Fire Imps (minion)
  • Flesh Moulder (nemesis)
  • Goblin Archer (rival) by @Flobio
  • Harpy (minion)
  • Hellhound (rival)
  • Lava Beetle (minion)
  • Medusa (nemesis)
  • Naga (rival) + Mistress of serpents (nemesis)
  • Obscene (rival)
  • Plauge worm (rival)
  • River Watch Riders (rival)
  • Shadow Dragon (Nemesis)
  • Shambling Colossus (Rival)
  • Troll (rival)
  • Volucrix Reaver (minion)
  • Ynfernael Hulk (rival)

Here's the list of enemies I will be setting up minus named Nemesis. If it's in RoT or CRB I didn't add it to my list. Any preferences to which I should work on next?

Goblin Archer Done

Mountain Giant Done

Sorcerer (On your to-do list) (My notes: Rival version of Storm Sorceress, reduce defense, Arcana, cool, disc by 1 each. Reduce Lore by 2. Remove Talent Adversary 1 replace with Lightning (on successful Arcana check all enemies at Short Range receive 1 wound) Drop Blizzard and Squall)

Rat Swarm (On your to-do list) (My ideas Minion version of Scorpion Swarm, agility 1, soak 0, wounds 4, Sil 0, change abilities to "Hard to Kill" - Add 1 failure per mininion alive in the group on attacks against it. equipment Claws)

Cave Spider Done

Dark Priest Done, might convert the HoT version as Dark Acolyte or Nameless Acolyte as rival or minion. Is this a Lovecraft type alien?

Zombie (On your to-do list)

Reanimated Warrior (More powerful Reanimate)

Changeling (On your to-do list - I think I have a SWRPG NPC card with something we can reskin)

Crow Hag (On your to-do list)

Reanimated Archer (I'm thinking re-skinned Stormtrooper minion with undead flavor)

Carrion Worm

Crypt Dragon

Edited by Flobio

The rate you're churning these out you'll have saved me quite a bit of a lot of legwork I'm doing for my campaigns (which is useful as I'm ambitiously building five epic saga campaign series- one for each of five 'darknesses') as there won't be any Terrinoth beasties left to work out!

If you've got all these that aren't already in ROT or The Haunted City you'll have nailed both editions of Descent!

http://descent2e.wikia.com/wiki/Monster

http://www.descentinthedark.com/_m_/monsters.php

http://www.descentinthedark.com/_a_/avatars.php

http://descent2e.wikia.com/wiki/Lieutenant

http://www.descentinthedark.com/_l_/lieutenants.php

Monkey god is mentioned but not statted out in the Zanaga section of ROT

http://www.descentinthedark.com/_t_/transformed_into_a_monkey.php

http://www.descentinthedark.com/_c_/curse_of_the_monkey_god.php

I'm already working on the avatars and lieutenants but as these are for the modules I'm crafting so won't be up for a while you can take any of these you fancy having a go at on. They may be the sort of thing gm's would stat and setup specific to campaigns they run though.

There's this lot too: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/runewars-miniatures-game/

Siege Golem (Battlelore)

and anything in Heroes of Terrinoth / Legacy of Dragonholt if unique to those games as I've not got them yet (I know there's something labelled Axle I think in HoT but it could just be a golem)

If you need any info on minis in Battlelore/Runewars (the original game) I can look in my kit, there may be other entities in older editions/ other Terrinoth games and expansions too (even I've found the odd thing I'd forgotten about) - dig around in FFG's news posts for the games, it's been really helpful for my projects. They often give lore, unit info and so on in these news posts.

Just don't do the ancients from the older Runebound- some of us don't talk about them *cough* off-genre *cough* :)

Finally on mounts, although there's a catch all I think the diversity of mounts lends to some of them having their own specific flavour, especially as RWM is very into mounts- perhaps a way you can stat out a mount as a creature but with a dynamic for how to approach it as a mount.

On 1/12/2019 at 1:20 AM, Flobio said:

Changeling (On your to-do list - I think I have a SWRPG NPC card with something we can reskin)

Where you thinking of just reskinning a clawdite ? if you have the card would be wonderfull

I think I do have that. I've got a game tonight but will look at this tomorrow.

Im swarmed with gaming to at the moment :) which ofc is a good thing. And this time around mostly as a player 1 genesys campaign and going for a all weekend star wars game this weekend in a vacation house near the beach here in Denmark.

Anyways @Flobio you mention Carrion Worm do you mean Carrion drake ? that one is allready in the document.

I looked at crypt dragon in the decent wiki http://descent2e.wikia.com/wiki/Crypt_Dragon and honestly cant see why a GM shouldent just use the Feral dragon in ROT. Kinda feel the same with Zombies you could just reskin reanimate but if you want i can make a more zombie themed one give em a Brains ability or something :P

I was kinda 2 way thorn on the siege golem. Should it be a monster or vehicle. Cant really decide. In the end as a GM its a hulking peice of rock with a guy monted on top shooting big crossbows.

Anyways did a sample as both. Here are the monster one added a note about siege crossbows. Did not add it to the document yet still playing around with stats.

Mounted allies
A Siege Golem may be used as a mounted ally by rider or gunner. The mounting provides cover and the rider can opt to use the heavy siege crossbow mounted on the siege golem.

Crossbow, Siege Ranged; Damage 11; Crit 2; Range; Long; Encum 8; HP 4; Price 3,000; Rarety 7; Cumbersome 5, Breach 1, Prepare 2, Slow Firing 1, Limited ammo 3

siege 1.JPG

Carrion Drakes are a dragon (albeit the type of dragon that may be referred to as a wyrm as they have the snakelike body, drake's an oldy-worldy word for dragon often used for weaker or lesser or less mythical dragons in fantasy), a different creature, http://descent2e.wikia.com/wiki/Carrion_Drake

Carrion Worms are a kind of giant slug-caterpillar-thing-like entity - these lovely beasties (the ones I've made the final stage of the post-broodwalker etc parasitic cycle, for me corpse bugs lead to carrion worms!)

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/7/13/deadly-lancers/

Ooh, second bit of this below is new to me, see- even I miss good nuggets of info (mine will not always have riders, and as a parasite will target some types):

" Few in the realm of Terrinoth had seen them before Waiqar’s onslaught, but carrion worms have been often spotted following Waiqar’s armies, feeding on the scraps and offal cast off by the fleshwrights who tend his legions. Carrion worms are surprisingly swift for their size and expel gouts of digestive ichor before setting upon their prey with shearing mandibles. Ridden by spear-wielding Reanimates, the carrion worm’s bile melts armor and flesh alike, allowing their riders to strike mortal blows against even the best-defended targets. Carrion grubs may be small, but their digestive acid is no less corrosive. Waiqar’s cruelest carrion worm masters discovered that they could feed the grubs nearly any substance, be it stone or metal or wood. As they grew, the grubs took on some of the properties of whatever they were fed. A diet consisting of chum and flesh would give the creatures a sickly, blood-colored cast, while those worms that feasted on bone would have a sallow, calcified carapace. Some of Waiqar’s most prized lieutenants ride atop carrion worms force-fed copper or even obsidian. Of course, most carrion worms have ingested several unlucky Reanimate handlers, as well. "

from https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/5/12/the-grotesque-undead/

Just in case @Flobio missed it my idea:

" Talking of plague and broodwalkers I'm working on a cunning idea for my campaign where some things like carrion worms, plague worms and broodwalkers/ the related bugs are actually different parts of the same main parasitic superorganism creature's (Carrion Worm) life-cycle. Having some fun working on that! A broodwalker is therefore a host for lots of future carrion worms and will eventually become one, I feel their pain - still fleshing this out (pun intended) but the logic of it's working so far. You do not want to be bitten by a corpse bug or have a carrion worm infest you with them, or suffer any of the other unpleasant ways they can get inside you. The idea could get very ewwy!: maggots/larvae, pupae, eggs... Beware in a Mennara game if your GM starts describing your eating a meal in great detail, remembering that moment in Alien! Have toyed with some options like Volucrix Reavers being bugs that don't find a host going on to create food and decaying corpses for the others but I've not finalised things yet. "

OK I don't have a Clawdite card. They are a PC race in No Desinigration so I'll look into that tomorrow.

@Watercolour Dragon I like your ideas. I really think based on those right ups that there can be minion, rival and nemesis form for Carrion Worm. Here's the "grub" version as a minion. I'm re-skinning a Kouhun from SW-RPG beast card deck.

Carrion Worm (Grub Form) - Undead / Minion

B-1;A-2;I-1;C-1;W-1;P-1

Skill (Group Only): Brawl

Soak 1, WT 3, 0 Defense

Ability: Ichor: If the target suffers wounds from the Carrion Worm's (grub) mandible attack, the target must make an Average Resilience check. The target suffers 5 wounds if they fail, plus 1 strain per threat. Despair means the target must check against the poison again at the start of their next turn.

Silhouette 0

Equipment: Spine (Brawl: Damage 2, Crit 4; Engaged; Pierce 5), mandibles (Brawl; Damage 2, Crit 3, Range Engaged, Pierce 2)

Crypt Dragon - Undead Dragon / Rival (Re-skinned Young Dragon)

While other dragons hoard items for their great value or shining brilliance, crypt dragons are far more interested in items of great magic or fate. These powerful artifacts have been known to carry dreadful curses and, being disturbed or even used by the Crypt Dragons, terrorize settlements near the tombs and graveyards where these beasts build their hoards.

B-4, A-3,I-3,C-2,W-2,P-2

Soak: 6, WT 23, 0 Defense

Skills: Arcana 1, Brawl 2, Cool 3, Ranged 2, Resilience 2, Runes 1, Vigilance 3.

Talents: Swift (a dragon does not spend additional maneuvers to move through difficult terrain).

Abilities: Flyer (can fly; see page 100 of the Genesys Core Rulebook), Silhouette 2, Terrifying (at the start of the encounter, all of their opponents must make a Hard fear check as an out-of-turn incidental, as per page 243 of the Genesys Core Rulebook. If there are multiple sources of fear in the encounter, the opponents only make one fear check against the most terrifying enemy), Frail (for every 5 wounds add a set back die to it's attack roll).

Spells: A crypt dragon can use any magic actions allowed for the Arcana and Runes skills, and may select additional effects as normal. A crypt dragon hoards the magical crafts of its race, and might experiment with any manner of spell.

Equipment: Fiery breath (Ranged; Damage 8; Critical 3; Range [Short]; Blast 8, Burn 2, Prepare 1), claws (Brawl; Damage 8; Critical 3; Range [Engaged]; Vicious 2).

Ill add the worm and dragon next week im away for the weekend playing a all weekend starwars game with my regular group driving up to a vacation house in a few hours :) ill see if i have time for some formatting as well and cleaning up the document maybe adding a cover.

arno-male-snake-in-a-river.jpg?143863608

Nice snake-worm-thing, I mean you no harm- look I'm tickling your belly, we can be friends, no....

10 hours ago, Watercolour Dragon said:

Nice snake-worm-thing, I mean you no harm- look I'm tickling your belly, we can be friends, no....

All right, we’ll call it a draw.
Come, Patsy.

I tried the snake thingy for a stab at a cover im not to good at it but it will do for now :)

Anyways here is a new link https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jFquSzJMrJPCnY19eSIWrjHNBv40xc2j

Added the carrion Worm and crypt dragon.

A few questions though. Why frail on the dragon ? Its alot of setback dice for a GM to keep track of. Maybe if you want a similar mechanic could be upgrade once if below half threshold or something.

Other question about the carrion worm. It has 2 attacks spine and mandibles will it use both ? or maybe should just have the mandibles with some added pierce to make that poison nasty ?
Will you make the rival version also ? i can make a side bar with suggestions for gm's how to use the materials the worms have eaten like a copper or obsidian worm etc.

For the crypt dragon i usually make spells suggestions for all monsters. Are there any spells you feel this dragon cast most ? just describe them thematic i can figure out the stats for it if you like. Be it poison gas or darkness aura

On 12/13/2018 at 10:28 PM, Archellus said:

A similar topic was discussed a while back

But i newer think the project got off.

Yeah, that's the case. I was planning to, as I was expecting to be doing a full Terrinoth campaign... but after 2 sessions, it kinda moved to the back. I've been using Genesys mainly for Dark Heresy now, and I've been putting almost all my focus on that. So yeah, sorry I didn't get to actually come up with anything.

Ooh this is coming along very nicely indeed. I've recently done a photoshoot for some faster-info-finding player resources I'm working on to help with use of the CRB and ROT, still quite a bit of work to do but that's one of the things I want to finish first as it will save me a lot of time I'm currently not saving constantly finding where things are in the books when building my modules and so it will be helpful to other gm-creatives too.

So with working on this and some other Terrinoth fan projects its great to have you doing so much timesaving groundwork on the bestiary side of things giving us players another really useful toolkit. Thus shortening my own Terrinoth to do list quite a lot.

Great to have ever closer to everything from all the games in one place too, hopefully FFG will have more of this kind of thing too for us as well in future, maybe with some new surprises.

That is so cool and very helpful for Terrinoth aficionados like myself. I wouldn't be surprised if FFG approach you if they decide to create a Terrinoth bestiary since you've done so much of the hard work already.

35 minutes ago, Suneisha said:

That is so cool and very helpful for Terrinoth aficionados like myself. I wouldn't be surprised if FFG approach you if they decide to create a Terrinoth bestiary since you've done so much of the hard work already.

It also helps build the value of the product as there are more resources ready for players to make use of immediately available so they can dive into new adventures quicker (not everybody likes to make their own modules and so on, some players like the ready-to-go items like this. That you can just pick up and play with with minimal extra prep.)

It is a slight shame that the fans seem to be doing more in Terrinoth than FFG are at the moment, but I think we're just in a between-releases patch, and as I said in the RWM forums, there has been quite a bit of new Terrinoth content from FFG recently which is hopefully a sign of a healthy future for the realm. And it gives me a chance to catch up with my wishlist of items to get and projects I'm working on / helping others with.

With the recent new product and plenty of fan creations there's still plenty to play with in Terrinoth and if you collect the games as I ended up doing it gives you a huge resource pool and plenty of ideas for where you can take things with the RPG.

Edited by Watercolour Dragon

Any intention of having a go at the Crow Hag? They seem like a unique and interesting creature in Terrinoth….

2 hours ago, Suneisha said:

Any intention of having a go at the Crow Hag? They seem like a unique and interesting creature in Terrinoth….

Indeed, it may have been you who suggested one of them (the one with the comb!) being a hero, have kept a note of that idea.

Corvids (ravens, crows, ... ) are quite important to my adventures - and I've spotted some subtle links in the Terrinoth lore to work with, plus of course 'a murder of crows', 'an unkindness of ravens', 'Margath the Unkind' I think from memory- it's in my notes that there's a link along those lines, 'Manor of Ravens'.....

I've done a few clever things with this and the wordplay it gives one to work with (no spoilers)

3 hours ago, Suneisha said:

https://descent2e.fandom.com/wiki/Crow_Hag

Do you Mean this one?

Yep that's the one Archellus 😊 . I only discovered them recently and love the idea of them. I'm planning on throwing them at my players soon in Descent 2.

And Water Colour Dragon, it wasn't me that would have said that to you. I only discovered the one with the comb a couple of days ago when I bought the relevant expansion.

Sounds like you are all over it though and all things crow related. ☺