Terrinoth Bestiary

By Justindoodler, in Realms of Terrinoth

23 hours ago, Suneisha said:

Yep that's the one Archellus 😊 . I only discovered them recently and love the idea of them. I'm planning on throwing them at my players soon in Descent 2.

And Water Colour Dragon, it wasn't me that would have said that to you. I only discovered the one with the comb a couple of days ago when I bought the relevant expansion.

Sounds like you are all over it though and all things crow related. ☺

My take on this. Might be a bit to powerful for a rival. I decided to go with the drain blood theme for it and made it a bit more magical.

1525716543_Crowhag.JPG.083f035362813fc1f2a383669ab7228e.JPG

Word of caution none of these have been actual play tested my current campaigns im all player atm. Will resume my steampunk campaign in the summer my 2 regular groups we alternate GM's and campaigns. Might try make a few one shots scenarios to get all these playtested :) The caught in the web and labyrinth of ruins seemed like good plot hooks for alot of the critters here. If anyone uses these critters in your game please leave any feedback on them.

On second thought i could tone this down abit remove the creature of x ability and just give it a bone wand. Would increase the difficulty of the magic ability and contain its selfhealing a little while still keeping the theme. Which would you prefer ?

Edited by Archellus

I like the look of it and thematically she is perfect. I haven't played a lot of Genesys yet so not sure if she's too powerful. I might have to run a mini-game and pit her against my players and get back to you with any feedback.

Watch this space!

19 hours ago, Archellus said:

My take on this. Might be a bit to powerful for a rival. I decided to go with the drain blood theme for it and made it a bit more magical.

1525716543_Crowhag.JPG.083f035362813fc1f2a383669ab7228e.JPG

Word of caution none of these have been actual play tested my current campaigns im all player atm. Will resume my steampunk campaign in the summer my 2 regular groups we alternate GM's and campaigns. Might try make a few one shots scenarios to get all these playtested :) The caught in the web and labyrinth of ruins seemed like good plot hooks for alot of the critters here. If anyone uses these critters in your game please leave any feedback on them.

On second thought i could tone this down abit remove the creature of x ability and just give it a bone wand. Would increase the difficulty of the magic ability and contain its selfhealing a little while still keeping the theme. Which would you prefer ?

Looks good to me! Thanks for your work on this. Between work being crazy and my HoT getting shoved under the bed I haven't had time to add my NPC's. I feel the HoT versions of NPC's will be less fleshed out than what you've come up so far. So any ideas for mine are more than welcome.

Here's my attempt of re-skinning a Giant from RoT page 226. As always I'm using HoT as reference material. This is a rival that is "easier" to deal with than Giant or Ettin though it still has some challenges. One of the actions from HoT is Toss Stone. So I made this giant a ranged rock thrower.

image.png.fa97c52c50257b5a106ba33bb81d4792.png

Edited by Flobio
Fixing duplicate image
10 hours ago, Flobio said:

Here's my attempt of re-skinning a Giant from RoT page 226. As always I'm using HoT as reference material. This is a rival that is "easier" to deal with than Giant or Ettin though it still has some challenges. One of the actions from HoT is Toss Stone. So I made this giant a ranged rock thrower.

image.png.fa97c52c50257b5a106ba33bb81d4792.png

Hi Flobio i like the idea of a smaller giant then the nemesis from ROT since both ogres and giants are serious threats. A few suggestions though and a question. First is this one meant to exist along side the regular giant from ROT ? if so i would amend the 3 abilities for giant stomp, sil and terrifying. Switch it down to sil 2, maybe remove the fear component. Now the giant stomp ability i never really understood since it could just be added in the equipment block with vicious but i would put it down to +20 again if its meant to be a smaller giant.

Rest look solid would add a brawl skill maybe 1 to emphasis the ranged aspect of the rocks. Fist should be with the brawl skill though.

If you would like to spice it up a bit without making it to powerful you could add the Concussive 1 quality to the rock would give the GM an option besides crit. Also would recommend prepare 1 with the rocks. Same with the brawl attack could add something like knockdown or disorient 1

It would look something like this Rocks (Ranged; Range [Medium], Critical 4; Damage 8; Inaccurate 1, Concussive 1, Prepare 1); Fist ( Brawl; Range[Engaged]; Damage 6, Critical 4, Knockdown)

Hope you like the suggestions should i add it to the beastary ?

1 hour ago, Archellus said:

Hi Flobio i like the idea of a smaller giant then the nemesis from ROT since both ogres and giants are serious threats. A few suggestions though and a question. First is this one meant to exist along side the regular giant from ROT ? if so i would amend the 3 abilities for giant stomp, sil and terrifying. Switch it down to sil 2, maybe remove the fear component. Now the giant stomp ability i never really understood since it could just be added in the equipment block with vicious but i would put it down to +20 again if its meant to be a smaller giant.

Rest look solid would add a brawl skill maybe 1 to emphasis the ranged aspect of the rocks. Fist should be with the brawl skill though.

If you would like to spice it up a bit without making it to powerful you could add the Concussive 1 quality to the rock would give the GM an option besides crit. Also would recommend prepare 1 with the rocks. Same with the brawl attack could add something like knockdown or disorient 1

It would look something like this Rocks (Ranged; Range [Medium], Critical 4; Damage 8; Inaccurate 1, Concussive 1, Prepare 1); Fist ( Brawl; Range[Engaged]; Damage 6, Critical 4, Knockdown)

Hope you like the suggestions should i add it to the beastary ?

Thank you for the feedback. I will add them now. Please add it to the bestiary with your recommendations. Who do you prefer me to make my entries, graphic like this or text in a post that you can copy and paste?

And done

uc?id=1FLofTXw-ZWfZuGMSYCaSW-ikArzmsutw

You can do them either way in text or in GMbinder if you prefer. If its lots of text i would prefer it like that but its not that big a deal to type it out.

New version of the beastary is up https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jFquSzJMrJPCnY19eSIWrjHNBv40xc2j

Brings us to 35 enemies unique to Terrinoth. Also cleaned up the art a bit and corrected a few mistakes most copy/paste errors :)

• Arachyura (rival)
  • Barrow Wyrm (nemesis)
  • Blood Ape (rival)
  • Bone Horror (minion)
  • Broodwalker (minion)
  • Broodwalker Swarm (rival)
  • Carrion Drake (minion)
  • Carrion Grub worm (minion) By Flobio
  • Cave Spider (minion)
  • Crow Hag (rival)
  • Crypt Dragon (rival) by Flobio
  • Chaos Beast (nemesis)
  • Dark Minotaur (nemesis)
  • Dark Priest (nemesis)
  • Demon Lord (nemesis)
  • Doombringer (rival)
  • Ettin (nemesis)
  • Fire Imps (minion)
  • Flesh Moulder (nemesis)
  • Goblin Archer (rival) by @Flobio
  • Harpy (minion)
  • Hellhound (rival)
  • Lava Beetle (minion)
  • Medusa (nemesis)
  • Mountain Giant (rival) by Flobio
  • Naga (rival) + Mistress of serpents (nemesis)
  • Obscene (rival)
  • Plauge worm (rival)
  • River Watch Riders (rival)
  • Shadow Dragon (Nemesis)
  • Shambling Colossus (Rival)
  • Troll (rival)
  • Volucrix Reaver (minion)
  • Ynfernael Hulk (rival)
Edited by Archellus

Since i did not make the original thread i have created a new one so it could be submitted to the ressource list in the main forum. We can continue the discussion and development here if you like. It was just to have the link to the document in the first post so people did not have to scroll down 3 pages to find it :)

Rat Swarm - (Minion)

Rats are common throughout Terrinoth, and although they have been known to spread disease and spoil stores of food, they are otherwise quite harmless. At times, however, they swarm together, as if controlled by a malevolent force. In such great numbers, rats are no longer mere nuisances, and many a hero has vanished beneath a horde of rats, never to be seen again.

image.png.187e9494c60c36892c456edb5c3280a4.png
Skills: Brawl 1

Abilities: Merge: Choose 1 rat swarm short distance to this swarm. This swarm suffers damage equal to its remaining wounds, and the chosen swarm recovers an equal amount of wounds and increases by the remaining amount of rats. Rend: Choose one PC engaged to this swarm roll a Hard Resilience check. If they fail, they are Bleeding. Feast: This attack gains 1 wound per remaining minion in the group. Ravenous: When attacking a PC that is Bleeding, this monster adds an Advantage to its attack results.

Equipment: Claws and teeth (Brawl; Damage 1; Critical 4; Range [Engaged]).

From Heros of Terrinoth and Shadow of Nerekhall expansion for Descent 2e.

Cave Spider (Minion)

Large, aggressive, and frequently hunting in packs, there are few monsters more dangerous than the venomous cave spiders of the Shadow Peaks. In recent years they have spread far beyond their usual territory, and some of the spiders now hunt with numerous sticky webs...

image.png.a717812db7f4bc4b87d6eafea5345ea5.png

Skills: Range, Stealth

Abilities: Poison: Enemies who are wounded by a scorpion swarm must make a Hard Resilience check as an out-of-turn incidental or suffer 4 additional wounds, and must check again on their next turn if the check generates Despair. Web: Each enemy engaged to this monster must suffer 1 Strain to dodge this attack. If a crit is activated the attack hits and the enemy is rooted until the end of the Cave Spiders' next round.

Equipment: Chelicera (Brawl; Damage 1; Critical 4; Range [Engaged]), Spinnerets (Range; Damage 1; Range [Short]; Critical 3, Web) .

From the core Descent 2e box.

As always feed back welcomed!

Edited by Flobio

Looking fantastic! Is their a reason for this being called a Beastary instead of a Bestiary?

1 hour ago, Justindoodler said:

Looking fantastic! Is their a reason for this being called a Beastary instead of a Bestiary?

Not really only that English is not my first language and im a terrible speller. Ill fix it :)

And fixed now with a new cower and some spelling mistakes corrected :) thanks @Justindoodler

Edited by Archellus
Fixed cower and spelling

Looks fantastic. I noticed in abilities though you seem to have referred to your cave spiders as a scorpion swarm. A scorpion swarm does sound pretty cool though..... :)

16 minutes ago, Suneisha said:

Looks fantastic. I noticed in abilities though you seem to have referred to your cave spiders as a scorpion swarm. A scorpion swarm does sound pretty cool though..... :)

Scorpion swarm is one of the official critters 😁 might be another copy paste error. I dont see it in the 1.0 version could you point out the page to me?

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:50 PM, Flobio said:

Cave Spider (Minion)

Large, aggressive, and frequently hunting in packs, there are few monsters more dangerous than the venomous cave spiders of the Shadow Peaks. In recent years they have spread far beyond their usual territory, and some of the spiders now hunt with numerous sticky webs...

image.png.a717812db7f4bc4b87d6eafea5345ea5.png

Skills: Range, Stealth

Abilities: Poison: Enemies who are wounded by a scorpion swarm must make a Hard Resilience check as an out-of-turn incidental or suffer 4 additional wounds, and must check again on their next turn if the check generates Despair. Web: Each enemy engaged to this monster must suffer 1 Strain to dodge this attack. If a crit is activated the attack hits and the enemy is rooted until the end of the Cave Spiders' next round.

Equipment: Chelicera (Brawl; Damage 1; Critical 4; Range [Engaged]), Spinnerets (Range; Damage 1; Range [Short]; Critical 3, Web) .

From the core Descent 2e box.

As always feed back welcomed!

Oh, it might not actually be in the book, it was on the entry you had above for the cave spider, I've marked it in the quote :)

Hi @Flobio

So i had a chance to look at your critters. Now the cave spider was allready in the document. There are a few differences maybe you can tell me abit more what the spider is like from the decent 2e box ?

So here is mine uc?id=1v8rpOUSwXM2NRa8CtCUedeVIvmtzbDhP

They way i designed it was basicly a sligtly softer storm trooper with pinchers and webs and poison. This my thought process mind you :)

The difference in stats are 1 in brawn vs 2 and 1 in cunning vs 2 reason for the 2 in cunning was to drive perception but for flat out minion i might have givin it to many skills maybe just go with the vigilance.
I was thinking spider senses so vigilance would be the skill and just flat out 1 in rest of the stats prob be fine.

For the Brawn its really a 3 things to consider. On your version its 1 brawn and no skills in brawl. Meaning no matter how many spiders your dealing with they always roll 1 green for attack. I would opt to give them the brawl skill
so they pose more of a threat.

For the actual stat in it self 1 vs 2 brawn is a matter of how large is a cave spider ? think i judged them wolf size roughly sil 1 in my head. If you think lorewise sil 0 cat/dog size is better lets roll with that and roll it down to 1 brawn
with the brawl skill above a GM can still add more spiders to actual matter.

Last consideration is the soak 1 vs 2. allthough not that big a difference in my version i upped the soak by 1 to represent is carapace for a lesser threath minion soak of 2 or 3 wont make to much of a difference.

For the poison/venom thing we used the same ability.
Mine also has the "Skitter" which is just flavour.

Skitter: Can move across walls, ceilings, and giant spider webs
without penalty. move from engaged to short range of the target as an
incidental.

For the web ability you wrote your own web ability they one i use was just the regular ensnare quality

Spinnerets (Range; Damage 1; Range [Short]; Critical 3, Web)
vs.
Webbing (Ranged; Damage 1; Critical 6; Range [Short]; Ensnare 3)

The difference in text is

Web. Each enemy engaged to this monster must suffer 1 Strain to dodge this attack. If a crit is activated the attack hits and the enemy is rooted until the end of the Cave Spiders' next round.
Ensnare (Active): Target is immobilized for Rating in rounds. They can make a Hard Athletics check to bust -

Ensnare cost the spidey 2 advatages to activate.
Your web cost 3 advantages for the crit now they way you word it "if a crit is activated" you must actually deal damage to activate a crit wich is hard since the attack only deals 1 damage.
There is no inherent rooted condition in the game do you mean immobilized ? target cant take manuevers or staggered target cant take actions ? or both ?
out.

So i would propose a compromise we take your stat array drop em to sil 0 so like size of a cat/dog give em +1 soak though to 2 but keep my ensnare vs. the web for simplicity would use your wound treshold though since its 1 higher :)
I like your weapon names to Chelicera and spinnerets :)

The combined profile would looke like this:

uc?id=1f_O1KguzhWuQxvGdS4ayBAYlguzc2Ww8

Ill get back to you on the swarm since it used other mechanics then the standard swarm.

Swarm: Halve the damage dealt to the swarm before
applying soak, unless the weapon has the Blast
or Burn quality (regardless of whether the quality is
activated).

But the kids are home in a sec ill see to it tonight.

Are you ok with the spider thing ?

@ Archellus

Sorry about that. I didn't mean to duplicate work. I'm trying not to duplicate effort. I don't think I looked at the current list after I finished Rat Swarm.