"One Stood Against Many" Question

By TeamPlatypus, in KeyForge

So many other ways this could have been templated, but I think it falls under the umbrella of not having proper targeting rules. If the intention is to fight with a single creature (pretty obvious to my eyes), then you should have to choose/select/target (whatever keyword or nomenclature) that creature at the outset of the effect.

I guess the simpler way to clarify this issue is to say that the indefinite article "a" means "one," but then we may as well be re-hashing the "does may mean may or does may mean must?" controversy of years past. English is hard.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

This is the first time I am going to use a smiley in this post: :)

This is the second time I am going to use a smiley in this post: :(

This is the third time I am going to use a smiley in this post: :P

There were three times when I used a smiley in this post. I "used a smiley" in this post three times.

Of course, there's a difference between "There are three times in this post where I used a smiley" and "There is a smiley that I used three times in this post" and that's probably where the confusion stems from, since "I used a smiley three times in this post" could be construed as either.

1 hour ago, Derrault said:

No, it actually can’t be three different bears. A Bear is indefinite only in the sense of ‘which specific bear’.

Being on a plane three times actually is saying you’ve only boarded the one plane three times. If you wanted to indicate that you’ve been on three separate planes (and felt the need to specify that each was only boarded once) you’d could say it as “I’ve been on planes three times in my life, each time a different one.”

Edit: To be clear, I’m not saying that people don’t violate the actual meaning of words or grammar routinely, but it is still incorrect usage.

I very much believe you are wrong, but we are getting deep enough into grammar that I can't find a reliable text to point you to. In case it matters, I learned English in the north east of the USA. The best I can do is list more examples, and see if you think any of them are written correctly. Below are examples where 'a' is used before a noun, but the noun doesn't refer to the same instance of that thing every time.

I have ordered a banana split multiple times at UDF.

I go on a camping trip every year.

I make sure to always own a deck of cards.

23 hours ago, Revert said:

I very much believe you are wrong, but we are getting deep enough into grammar that I can't find a reliable text to point you to. In case it matters, I learned English in the north east of the USA. The best I can do is list more examples, and see if you think any of them are written correctly. Below are examples where 'a' is used before a noun, but the noun doesn't refer to the same instance of that thing every time.

I have ordered a banana split multiple times at UDF.

I go on a camping trip every year.

I make sure to always own a deck of cards.

I typically don't feel a need to go out of my way and engage on the internet. But seriously. Revert has technically proven his point in a way that is probably at the upper limit of clarity. And yet somehow Derrault is typing letters to disagree. My HEAD!!!

And just to confirm that this sense is not unknown to Keyforge, look at Orbital Bombardment.

"Reveal any number of Mars cards from your hand. For each card revealed this way, deal 2 damage to a creature."

And the reminder text helpfully informs us - " (You may choose a different creature each time.) "

So from the Keyforge designers' perspective, using "a" can easily signify multiple different creatures.

Edited by Showsni
Decided Keyforge probably had multiple designers

We tried to cover the various different scenarios for One Stood Against Many (there are several), and tried to do so as thoroughly as possible. Let me know if this successfully scratches the itch or if there's anything lacking in clarity/accuracy:

https://keyforge-compendium.com/cards/223-one-stood-against-many

One Stood Against Many example to play:

On my board i have one sanctum creature, my opponent have only one creature.

I reap with my sanctum creature, after this action i use one stood against many, i ready my sanctum creature and i fight with enemy creature.

Now i ready my sanctum for second fight but my opponent doesn't have any creature.....i reap.

My actions is correct?

1 hour ago, Jester Firefly said:

One Stood Against Many example to play:

On my board i have one sanctum creature, my opponent have only one creature.

I reap with my sanctum creature, after this action i use one stood against many, i ready my sanctum creature and i fight with enemy creature.

Now i ready my sanctum for second fight but my opponent doesn't have any creature.....i reap.

My actions is correct?

Yes. Someone is probably going to try and clarify and make it more complicated but you are essentially correct.

2 hours ago, TheSpitfired said:

Yes. Someone is probably going to try and clarify and make it more complicated but you are essentially correct.

If i use OSAM on my stunned creature (sanctum/non-sanctum) i remove the stun token. Exemple:

Remove token->make first fight

Second Fight

Third fight

Or:

Remove token

Make Second Fight

Third fight

which of the two actions is correct?

25 minutes ago, Jester Firefly said:

If i use OSAM on my stunned creature (sanctum/non-sanctum) i remove the stun token. Exemple:

Remove token->make first fight

Second Fight

Third fight

Or:

Remove token

Make Second Fight

Third fight

which of the two actions is correct?

Remove stun token (replaces 1st fight)

make second fight

make third fight.

17 minutes ago, TheSpitfired said:

Remove   stun token (replaces 1st fight)

make second fight 

make third fight.  

So if i remove the stun i make only 2 fight?

Edited by Jester Firefly
2 hours ago, Jester Firefly said:

So if i remove the stun i make only 2 fight?

Yes. Again some might try to say the minor details are off but that is essentially correct.

7 hours ago, TheSpitfired said:

Yes  . Again some might try to say the minor details are off but that is essentially  correct.

Last exemple: i use OSAM for reap with a sanctum creature, if that creature have an ability when he reap, this ability trigger or not? Thanks for your answers 😉

Edited by Jester Firefly
7 hours ago, Jester Firefly said:

Last exemple: i use OSAM for reap with a sanctum creature, if that creature have an ability when he reap, this ability trigger or not? Thanks for your answers 😉

Yes.

8 hours ago, Jester Firefly said:

you cannot use OSAM to reap. You can only reap after OSAM has readied a Sanctum creature and there is no one to fight. At this point the creature is ready, OSAM has been fully resolved and goes to the discard pile and then you can reap with the ready creature, resolving it's reap effect as normal.

Hi all,

A "simple" question: playing OSAM, can you choose as creature a Sanctum one or can you choose any other creature you have on the table (already in play when you decide using OSAM) even if the creature is not-Sanctum?

Thanks in advanced

15 hours ago, raul0003333 said:

Hi all,

A "simple" question: playing OSAM, can you choose as creature a Sanctum one or can you choose any other creature you have on the table (already in play when you decide using OSAM) even if the creature is not-Sanctum?

Thanks in advanced

I always get scared when someone revives a dead thread, but that is a good question. Yes, you can target any friendly creature on your battle line when you play OSAM, regardless of what house they are in. Especially useful if you have a creature from a different house with Skirmish. :)

6 hours ago, TheSpitfired said:

I always get scared when someone revives a dead thread, but that is a good question. Yes, you can target any friendly creature on your battle line when you play OSAM, regardless of what house they are in. Especially useful if you have a creature from a different house with Skirmish. :)

Thanks!!! :)

On 12/10/2018 at 4:51 PM, Poposhka said:

man, you should work for FFG and clear up their cards, do i get to fight with all friendly creatures 3 times?

Relentless Assault

There you go.