Showcase: RZ-2 A-Wing

By Force Majeure, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

On 12/30/2018 at 2:19 PM, WanouMars said:

Hi all!

I just finished my new project: Super Charged Resistance ! :)

I hope you like it :)

Full gallery here:
https://imgur.com/a/Y2e70Vq

Step-by-step full gallery here:
https://imgur.com/a/vuVSsr1

qGrzGW5.jpg

Part of a larger squad :)

rTvL3pv.jpg

Thanks for watching!
WanouMars

Those are so cool!

Alt title: Welcome to Tron Wars

B1zk0QN.jpg

One bad idea too many, unfortunately...

Edited by SOTL
I will call him: Chewlo

Oh my goodness. What have you wrought?

I've got a bad feeling about this...

TAK12265_i.jpg

Have a ride for the ladies of the Resistance now.

Resized_20190115_221540_5428.jpg

I really ought to get to painting mine already.

Now I want to cut the blasters off and introduce some magnets to be able to change the rotation. Not sure if it's just my model but it seems one of them is further out than the other. Dunno if the one is going to be an easy enough operation.

uQYU6QR.png

This was the first time I just experimented as I went without any particular design I was trying to imitate or capture. I started out by trying to cover up the blue stripes and leave a basic body, but my color matching didn't work out and I ended up with a sort of bluish-gray base color. After adding the new colors though, I kinda liked how it went with everything, and went out of my way to add it in a few places where it wasn't previously required.

GBCX4ve.png

I really liked the red RZ-2 seen on the artwork for L'ulo, Greer, and Green Squadron Expert.
https://sb-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/card_art/8427bdfb1cf9497a9ab797e2c955ba41.jpg

I think I did a much better job matching the base color this time (even if I ended up covering up some of that with a blackened effect). It ended up a bit messy as I was working with a color that wasn't quite right and I really went overboard to compensate, but I more or less like how it turned out. I hated painting before because I can be a perfectionist, but luckily the "used future" look of Star Wars help me feel better about it when it doesn't turn out how you intended.

Edited by Jokubas

The A-Wing weren't matching the strict dress code for my Resistance ships, so they had to change. This time around, I went with F-14 schemes, specifically:
VF-111 Sundowners
VF-142 Ghost Riders

51344611_2281525455464301_10092112116879

Loving the military livery, MasterShake2!

Here's my RZ-2 "Rainbow Squadron":

BTZAYzPl.jpg

IFHskdkl.jpg

Image result for voltron approves

A-Wings, now with more dakka.

53382041_399520070829378_173832102936169

On 4/8/2019 at 9:28 PM, Polda said:

A-Wings, now with more dakka.

53382041_399520070829378_173832102936169

Now with more...bonkers. :wub:

k0EviUG.jpg

amk0GNr.jpg

On 12/7/2018 at 7:30 AM, SOTL said:

So, the problem I have is that I thought of a squad that was 4 A-Wings and Chewie in the Falcon (it fits, 200pts all naked).

And then I decided to call it 'Porg Squadron'

And now I need to buy 4 A-Wings and paint them up as Porgs.

**** it.

id like to see that

This?

ra6OsZv.jpg

For those trying to recreate the red a-wing (lulo) what citadel colors are you using for the red outer/grey middle?

Thanks!

Friend of mine has Infinity Squadron as his 5A list, bit of a Marvel thing. I was tasked with yellow and green.

VApU4gU.jpg

ZWZU71x_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

niJDpoX_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Really enjoyable ship to paint, clear lines and sleek panelling.

On 6/11/2019 at 4:11 PM, Cuz05 said:

Friend of mine has Infinity Squadron as his 5A list, bit of a Marvel thing. I was tasked with yellow and green.

VApU4gU.jpg

ZWZU71x_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

niJDpoX_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Really enjoyable ship to paint, clear lines and sleek panelling.

Beautiful work @Cuz05 . Excellent clean lines.

I also love the extra little detail of the green one with both white and very light grey panels

if you don’t mind me asking, which green did you use?

10 hours ago, Stronghammer said:

Beautiful work @Cuz05 . Excellent clean lines.

I also love the extra little detail of the green one with both white and very light grey panels

if you don’t mind me asking, which green did you use?

Thanks!

It's all very layered, my photos are not great unfortunately and wash some of the contrast out.

Most of my paints are from Coat d'arms, much cheaper than Citadel but I'm not sure how widely available they are.

Started with a base of their Dark Green. Washed with Ink Wash Green. Then layered up with the dark again, into Grass Green. Finally, a few shades of Citadels Niblet Green dry paint to highlight, adding gradually more white to bring it up.

Best results come from being very bold with the shades. The higher the contrast between the dark and light the better. A lot of my final touches on a colour are almost white but they do need to be extremely tiny touches, a glint of sunlight kissing the edges, if you like.

Honestly, looking at the photo again, I think might not have added that tiny touch of off-white here. Need to see the actual model again :D

The whites on both are the same process but with even more contrast tbh. Starting with a light grey base, general shading with an extremely thinned black ink and grading up to a pure white highlight . Interestingly, a white finish is pretty ugly, so even there, the pure white is limited to the very final, small touches. It's more apparent in the yellow pic but the green had exactly the same approach.

Awesome, Thanks @Cuz05

It really is a beautiful green, so I can only imagine that it looks better in person

ive also found when taking photos of you use an app like the free Adobe Lightroom you can set your own custom white balance to help give a true representation of the colours.

1 hour ago, Stronghammer said:

Awesome, Thanks @Cuz05

It really is a beautiful green, so I can only imagine that it looks better in person

ive also found when taking photos of you use an app like the free Adobe Lightroom you can set your own custom white balance to help give a true representation of the colours.

Ah cool, thanks. I'll look into it :)

I just really had to repair the framing of the canopy of my RZ-2 A-Wings.

DSCF6256.jpg

I'm guessing you're not new to painting. Excellent work @player4512572 !

3jMNYIl.jpg

Just a few RZ-2's